Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Streaming video won't, well, stream

This is a discussion on Streaming video won't, well, stream within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, I am posting this the XP form because I am having it across the board with any browsers

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there,

I am posting this the XP form because I am having it across the board with any browsers that I try.

I can not get streaming video to stream. I get the first few seconds of whatever it is I am trying to watch, then it stops. It looks like it is buffering and trying to get more, but no matter how long I leave it there I never get another byte.

I am currently using XP pro with service pack 2 installed. My browser of preference is Forefox 2.0.0.16. No themes, but a number of extentions.

This just started happening one day. Everything was fine. I can not remember making any changes, then WHAM.

I think it might be happening with other downloads as well that it sort of just gets stuck and does not pick up again as I have not been able to get any large downloads, but I am not 100% certain that the problems are related (although I am pretty sure they are).

Thanks for any help you can offer,
R

Old 07-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

I have exactly the same problem happyduck1979, I am using I.E.7 with Windows XP Home and SP2. My daughter is experiencing the same problems too with the same browser as me and XP version. We are both running the latest versions of Flash Player and I have tried uninstalling with their special software and installing again, all to no avail. The forum suggested I install Firefox and there will be no more problems; just installed Firefox 3.0 and the Flash Player for that browser and it is exactly the same, although a few videos do play correctly. This is a mystery, all was well until about a week ago.
tech_no

Old 07-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
af3
White Hat ;)

My System

I have an above average connection, but streaming videos (progressive download) won't download at a steady rate in most cases. It may just be the fault of your ISP's backbone connection (the ISP's ISP) or the actual site in question.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Registered Member

My browser speed seems pretty good though, and this started randomly. When I called my provider they said everything looked fine from there end.

4646 kpbs down
500 kpbs up
Old 07-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
af3
White Hat ;)

My System

5987 kbps down
976 kbps up

I have the same problem. Most streaming videos are 256kbps to 512kbps. If the site can't serve fast enough, maybe they should stop offering services such as streaming video.

YouTube is fine most of the time for me, and they appear to be using some kind of decentralized content server network. Some of their nodes are slower than others. This could be due to a disbalance, overloaded connections, or bad routing. You will be able to stream a video being served from a closer location better than one from a distant location.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

I get the same issue consistently though... and with regular downloads as well. It is not like I can get some and not others...
Old 07-26-2008, 01:55 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

I have been playing Youtube videos for years with no problems happyduck1979 and my daughter has too, so this is something that has just happened: either Youtube has started using a slower streaming speed or there is compatability issues here with something else running on our computers, e.g. an update. I know you think the same thing, it has only just occurred.
tech_no
Old 07-26-2008, 02:33 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

yea saying that ive just had a few just not work..
one or two do but the rest just say..this is bar |-----------------------| they get to about |---| and stop dead..ive got a really good connection (50MB) and its just bleh at the moment..
Old 07-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #9
af3
White Hat ;)

My System

I think it may have to do with the way ADOBE FLASH handles streaming video. They may have broken their streaming stability when they patched a recent vulnerability.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

Just to let everyone know, I have just installed the GOM player, recommended by the Web User magazine, and it works so well on every flash video from Youtube, I have tried so far. I beleive the latest Adobe Flash Player is not up to the job, to stream the video being played. I installed the Gom player and set it to be my default player.
You can install this player from: www.gomplayer.com
and it is free.
Regards tech_no
Old 08-18-2008, 05:10 AM   #11
af3
White Hat ;)

My System

Adobe must have updated something, because I am having better luck with YouTube lately, no wait... If you look carefully at your status bar, the video is being hosted by Google now!

I believe it is both the fault of the content host and Flash's streaming video protocol.
Thanks for the link to GOMPlayer.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #12
Registered Member

I just downloaded the gomplayer mentioned, because I've had a lot of problems with streaming videos going "in and out." I have the Vista Premium Home version though. I hope this works. Thanks for mentioning it.