Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strange problem with installation

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  AlbertMC2 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

So I have a strange problem with my computer. Whenever I try to install a game (haven't tried installing other programs besides games recently) the installation crashes. The game usually calls it a "data error." I've copied the contents of the disk onto a folder and tried installing it from there, but with no success. I've also tried using a friend's DVD drive to copy the contents onto my external harddrive, and tried installing from my external harddrive, but that didn't work either. I think that tells me it's not a problem with my dvd drive. It's also not a problem with the disk because the game(s) install successfully on my friend's computer.

Here's where it's interesting. When I get my friend to share their dvd drive on the local network and install the game(s) by putting the disk in their computer and accessing their dvd drive from my computer, the installation works.

What could be causing this? Is there anything else I can do to help you guys diagnose the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

See less See more
#3 ·
It does copy to the harddrive, but it does not install.

I'm not sure about cable or port. I use sharing and security to access my friend's dvd drive over a local network and run the install directly off of their with my game disk in his dvd drive. That's the only way it'll work.

#4 ·
Here're my specs: (I have service pack 3 not 2)

Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz 40 °C
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 533MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP45-DS3L (Socket 775)
Graphics
HP w2207 @ 1680x1050
512MB GeForce 9800 GTX+ (EVGA) 40 °C
Hard Drives
977GB FUJITSU MAXTOR STM31000340AS (SATA) 36 °C
Optical Drives
HP DVD Writer 1040r
WPMPATM 0PIB0HINWP SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
USB Audio Device

#6 · (Edited)
Well, I don't think it's an issue with the DVD drive. As mentioned, if I copy the disk to a folder using my friends computer, then move that folder to my computer and try to install from the folder, it doesn't work. I think that means it's unrelated to the disk/dvd drive and more of an underlying problem.

I'll try it nonetheless. And I don't have any virtual software installed

What's really strange is that it only works if I do the install directly from a different dvd drive shared on the network

IE I get my friend to share his dvd drive, put the disk in his computer, and access his drive from my computer. Then it works fine. Why would this be? It doesn't work if I try to install it using my computer, whether from disk or from file. And I know that both disk and file are fine, because I could install the game successfully using the method just mentioned.

#7 ·
Hi

I am worried that when you copy the CD from your or your friend's DVD drive (attached to your PC) that the data is getting corrupted and that is why it does not install. Yet if you copy or install through the network then it works (in essence bypassing your DVD drive).

You can also look in your event viewer
(Start -> run -> type eventvwr.msc -> ok)
and look in the System and Application event logs for any errors at the time of trying (and failing) to install the software. Let us know if you see any errors and what they are.

#8 · (Edited)
Hi Albert,

Thanks for your help :) I don't think it's my dvd drive. One of the things I forgot to mention was that I downloaded starcraft 2 from the internet and tried to install on my computer, and that didn't work either. It seems the problem is just with installing software. I'll try to get the event viewer information.

Thanks a lot again! I really appriciate it. I've had this problem for a while and noone's been able to figure it out.

I think the main question is why would it work sharing my friend's dvd drive but not from my computer? Is there some aspect of his computer that is used instead of mine?

#9 ·
I had to remove the sp3 and then re install it that fixed because applications were erroring out (firefox, antivirus) during installation and I did watever I can to make sure that everything was good but never worked.
I would recommend that if you have not been able to find the answer for this issue for a while then clean format of the XP on your machine and go from there.

#12 · (Edited)
Hi Spunk,

I tried that, it didn't work. Thanks for the link though! that's one more thing eliminated.

Albert, I don't see any errors in the event viewer for the install...is that good or bad?

Thanks alot for all this help guys, I really appreciate it.

PS My computer was built for me by my friend, could that affect it? The parts were purchased separately and assembled.

#14 ·
Here's the technical information for my RAM, if that will help

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 4
Used memory slots 2
Free memory slots 2
Memory
Type DDR2
Size 4096 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 533.3 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 15 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 2
Slot #1
Type DDR2
Size 2048 MBytes
Manufacturer PDP Systems
Max Bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Part Number 8500EL Series
Week/year 38 / 08
SPD Ext. EPP
EPP #0
Frequency 534.0 MHz
CAS# Latency 5.0
RAS# To CAS# 5
RAS# Precharge 5
tRAS 15
tRC 29
Voltage 2.100 V
JEDEC #3
Frequency 400.0 MHz
CAS# Latency 5.0
RAS# To CAS# 5
RAS# Precharge 5
tRAS 12
tRC 23
Voltage 1.800 V
JEDEC #2
Frequency 266.7 MHz
CAS# Latency 4.0
RAS# To CAS# 4
RAS# Precharge 4
tRAS 8
tRC 16
Voltage 1.800 V
JEDEC #1
Frequency 200.0 MHz
CAS# Latency 3.0
RAS# To CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
tRAS 6
tRC 12
Voltage 1.800 V
Slot #2
Type DDR2
Size 2048 MBytes
Manufacturer PDP Systems
Max Bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Part Number 8500EL Series
Week/year 38 / 08
SPD Ext. EPP
EPP #0
Frequency 534.0 MHz
CAS# Latency 5.0
RAS# To CAS# 5
RAS# Precharge 5
tRAS 15
tRC 29
Voltage 2.100 V
JEDEC #3
Frequency 400.0 MHz
CAS# Latency 5.0
RAS# To CAS# 5
RAS# Precharge 5
tRAS 12
tRC 23
Voltage 1.800 V
JEDEC #2
Frequency 266.7 MHz
CAS# Latency 4.0
RAS# To CAS# 4
RAS# Precharge 4
tRAS 8
tRC 16
Voltage 1.800 V
JEDEC #1
Frequency 200.0 MHz
CAS# Latency 3.0
RAS# To CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
tRAS 6
tRC 12
Voltage 1.800 V

#16 · (Edited)
Is there a way I can post the results of the memtest up here for you guys to look at? It's rather odd. Memtest is saying they both have errors, which seems to be highly improbable to me. I've tried installing games with just 1 of the sticks in (did it for both) and it crashes both times. Is there an underlying issue? How can I tell for sure if it's my ram sticks or something else?

#17 ·
It's not common, but I have seen instances where both sticks of ram in someone's pc has gone kaput simultaneously. Happened too me once as well.

If you are running memtest through dos and it's showing up these errors, most of the time they aren't lying. However, it could be generated by an issue caused by your motherboard and/or your power supply as well. Don't disregard those as possibilities.

What I find rather odd however is that if you have bad memory or even some other hardware, I should expect to be seeing BSODs or some other means of instability anytime now, but you haven't reported any.

For now, go on what memtest says (provided you're running it through dos). Do an extended test on em again to see if they're continually problematic. You may need to nab some spare ram (or purchase some) in order to do some further testing on em.

#18 ·
Hi

Yes it definitely is strange both are giving errors.
I see you have 4 memory slots and only 2 are being used.

1. Test the motherboard slots
Try taking out 1 memory module and test the other on all 4 slots using memtest.
If it gives errors in all 4 slots then use the other memory module and test it in all 4 slots.
This will tell you if it might be the memory or if the slots are damaged.
Note you only have to run memtest until it gives errors. Once it gives errors then you can stop memtest and put the memory in the next slot.

2. Faulty Power Supply
As VirGnarus suggested - it could be your Power Supply that is faulty. In which case it would have to be replaced.

3. Overclocking
This can also cause memory errors. If you are overclocking then put all settings back to default and try memtest again.

4. It could be your memory latencies.
If you have tried to adjust your memory latencies in the BIOS then put them back to default or put them back to what the memory manufacturer suggests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.