Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Strange imon.dll problem driving me mad, help please?

This is a discussion on Strange imon.dll problem driving me mad, help please? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I uninstalled NOD32 a few months ago and installed another AV short after. There weren't any problems afaik. I'm not

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

I uninstalled NOD32 a few months ago and installed another AV short after. There weren't any problems afaik. I'm not sure when it started, but during shutdown I got this window saying it was shutting down imon.dll, and it gave you an option to End Now. I was surprised by this, since I already uninstalled NOD32 and imon.dll shouldn't be there at all. Anyway, sometimes clicking End Now once was enough, sometimes I had to click 2 or 3 times (not sure). Then I decided to search my computer for imon.dll, and found it in c:\windows\system32. I tried to just delete it first, and after it said it couldn't be deleted I unlocked it from running programs using Unlocker. After unlocking, I got 2 or 3 messages from programs like Skype saying an error had occurred and it needed to close. I then deleted imon.dll, to see what would happen, and rebooted. My internet wouldn't connect, not wireless or local connection. When restored imon.dll from the Recycle Bin, it would connect again.
I googled and googled, but couldn't find anything like this. Can anyone please help me solving this? I'd be eternally grateful.

EDIT: I forgot to add something, the first time I rebooted after deleting imon.dll, a window popped up (I don't remember what it was called exactly, it's the Windows thing that closes dangerous files etc.) saying something about a Generic Host Process blabla Win32.
EDIT 2: Sorry for another edit. Just wanted to add that that window during shutdown isn't ending imon.dll, but "IMON Hidden Window".

Old 11-16-2008, 01:13 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XP Pro SP3, MCE 2005 sp3, Vista Ultimate SP2, Windows 7 Ultimate

My System

that important blabla info was important information to this problem, too bad you didnt write this down ,would of made it easirer to diagnose this problem.

Update your anitvirus and antispyware programs and run the scans please.

and by the way what is the window that closes dangerous programs?...never heard that one before unless you mean Drwatson? If you have dangerous programs then you are infected.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hey, thanks for your reply.
I googled it and it was: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services.
I already ran an AVG scan yesterday, nothing was found. I'm not experiencing anything weird/bad either, only when I delete the imon.dll file. The only thing I get without deleting it, is the window attempting to close "IMON Hidden Window" everytime I shut down. I really have no idea why it's there...
No, it wasn't DrWatson, hmm I don't remember sorry.. =/ I think it was 3 words..
Thanks!