Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

STOP: 0x000007B (0xF898664C, 0xC000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) error

This is a discussion on STOP: 0x000007B (0xF898664C, 0xC000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) error within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have searched all forums and found no similar case. After a checkdisc by my computer i cannot boot my

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have searched all forums and found no similar case.

After a checkdisc by my computer i cannot boot my computer past the boot screen where it resets sometimes giving the following error code. When i use my manufactures restore disc to reinstall windows it again tries to start up windows (with the grey boot up) but still gives the same error code and resets. Also when i press F10 to install a new version of windows it says it cannot detect a hardisc and press F3 to restart.
I have tried all the different startup modes (safe mode, debug etc.) and have ensured the harddisc drivers are installed by pressing F6 (uses a floppy disc to upload drivers).
I only have a restore disc and i cannot get the XP disc because my manufacturer has gone bust, my PC spec is:
XP Home SP2
AMD FX-51
512mb
ATi 256mb 9600
Promise 160gb hdd RAID.
Thanks in advance.

STOP: 0x000007B (0xF898664C, 0xC000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Old 09-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #2
Registered Member

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890463/en-us

CAUSE
This problem may occur if your computer uses an add-on PCI adapter that has an integrated PCI-to-PCI bridge and graphics adaptor. An example of this type of device is a remote access adapter that has multiple, integrated devices such as graphics and integrated device electronics (IDE) or Advanced Technology Attachment (ATA) controllers.

This problem occurs because the ISA Enable and VGA Enable bridge control registers may become incorrectly set. Therefore, the boot controller may not be assigned the correct PCI resources. If the boot controller is not assigned the correct PCI resources during the startup process, the hard disk from which Windows starts becomes inaccessible. Therefore, you experience the Stop error that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
1. Use the Recovery Console method as described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 875350 to uninstall Windows XP SP2.

For more information about how to uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 2 by using the Recovery Console, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
875350 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350/) How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
2. Install hotfix 890463.
3. Reinstall Windows XP SP2.

This is what Microsoft has to say on the error, since you don't have the Install disk you probably don't have the recovery console accessible. Click below to get it...

http://tips.vlaurie.com/2006/05/23/r...ut-an-xp-disk/

Old 09-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the savage View Post
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890463/en-us

CAUSE
This problem may occur if your computer uses an add-on PCI adapter that has an integrated PCI-to-PCI bridge and graphics adaptor. An example of this type of device is a remote access adapter that has multiple, integrated devices such as graphics and integrated device electronics (IDE) or Advanced Technology Attachment (ATA) controllers.

This problem occurs because the ISA Enable and VGA Enable bridge control registers may become incorrectly set. Therefore, the boot controller may not be assigned the correct PCI resources. If the boot controller is not assigned the correct PCI resources during the startup process, the hard disk from which Windows starts becomes inaccessible. Therefore, you experience the Stop error that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section.

Thanks for that i will get some floppies or discs and reply back.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
1. Use the Recovery Console method as described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 875350 to uninstall Windows XP SP2.

For more information about how to uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 2 by using the Recovery Console, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
875350 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875350/) How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
2. Install hotfix 890463.
3. Reinstall Windows XP SP2.

This is what Microsoft has to say on the error, since you don't have the Install disk you probably don't have the recovery console accessible. Click below to get it...

http://tips.vlaurie.com/2006/05/23/r...ut-an-xp-disk/
Old 09-07-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Registered Member

This didnt work, i burned a the disk with the recovery console and it started up in a similar way to the recovery disc (F3 to exit, F10 to reinstall, enter to continue) but no r for recovery until i pressed F10 then it eventually had the r option but this did not work as it said it could not find a hard disc drive.