Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

stop 0x000000e3 (fatal)

This is a discussion on stop 0x000000e3 (fatal) within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was working on my computer yesterday and everything was going well. I shut down my computer, it went through

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I was working on my computer yesterday and everything was going well. I shut down my computer, it went through some updates and then it shut down. Well when i went to turn it on today my computer didnt even load (just the BIOS) and went straight to :

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damages to your computer.

A thread tried to release a resource it did not own.

[ usual help and tip advice from microsoft that didn't work like rebooting and going into safe mode. also said to disable or remove any newly installed hardware of software.]

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x000000E3 (0x80558BE0, 0x86FC63E8, 0x00000000, 0x00000002

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

thats all I got. It doesnt say where the problem occured or where it is. I've tried the diagnostics CD, safe mode, last working system, and even taking apart my computer to see if anything burned out. None of that worked and i think my last resort is going to be reinstalling my whole system and erasing everything. I currently dont have the cd needed to do this so im just trying to see if there might be other ways to fix this problem without having to lose all my data. Also my computer DOES NOT get to the start menu. The BSoD pops up right when my computer starts loading.

System I have (not sure if needed for problem solving):

Computer: Dell Precision M60 (refurbished and newly working since 8/09)
Pentium : 2.00 GHz/600 MHz
Current CPU Speed: 2.00 GHz
Level 2 Cashe: 2048 KB
System Memory: 1024 MB @ 333 MHz
Video Controller: NVIDIA QuartoFx Go1000
Video Memory: 128 MB
Audio Contoller: Sigmatel 9750
Modem Controller: Conexant D480 MDC
Primary Hard Drive: 80 GB

If anyone knows how to fix this problem then please let me know. Advice is welcome.

Thanks,
~Rose

Old 10-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

I found a potential solution to this problem that does not require a repair installation. The problem apparently lies with Microsoft update KB971486. Details of the solution are here: http://www.stateofthetech.com/?p=117

Old 10-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

thanks for the link to that page it helped me find what was wrong with my computer. I was wondering for the UBCD, does it have to be the one for my computer or can it be for a different computer with the same OS?
Old 10-19-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseneedshelp View Post
I was wondering for the UBCD, does it have to be the one for my computer or can it be for a different computer with the same OS?
I do not understand exactly what you are asking .... so if you still need and answer the the question on UBCD (AFAIK there is only the one of these), please supply some more info.
Edit: Perhaps you are asking about UBCD4Win ... ?

Re your problem
You can download the XP Recovery Console (at 7MB it is much smaller to download than UBCD) and the fix will also be much easier (than using UBCD).

Download XP Recovery Console
http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Burn the .iso image file to CD and boot from it.
Closed Thread