Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Start Up Problems and Errors

908 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  nickster_uk 
#1 ·
Last night my computer was working perfectly fine when I shut it down. Earlier today when I started it up it got to the log-in screen and when I entered my password it gave an error screen (blue screen of death). I tried starting it up a few times again and it just kept giving the same error. I decided to log in to safe mode and restore to the 18th (two days ago) and it still didn't work. I decided to restore it to the 1st(19 days ago) to see that would help and it did, my computer started up fine. I'm worried this is gonna happen again since the last couple of weeks my computer has been giving random error messages at start-up. Yesterday morning it gave a message about a registry problem and it had to be restored from a log and it was successful, so I figured everything was ok. Anyways, I had a couple more problems like a week ago where my computer wouldn't start up but somehow it ended up working just from messing around with different things. My antivirus is Nod32(trial ver.) and I was wondering if theres any programs that can check my computer for problems/errors or anything else that could help. Thanks for reading, I know it was kind of a lot but I thought I should give atleast that much information. BTW, I'm on Media Center SP2 XP.

#2 ·
Hi c0Ld, welcome to TSF..

are you able to provide any more details regarding the error messages you received please?

Also, have you recently installed any new programs or hardware?

Do you ever hear any noises coming from inside your PC such as hard drive clicking or any beeps?

#3 ·
I don't have much information on the error messages since they tend to change a lot randomly and I don't write them down. I haven't installed anything new or new hardware latley and there hasn't been any weird strange noises coming from the computer. Is it possible that dust could be the issue? I looked inside the case and was surprised at the level of dust on it

#4 ·
It could be as a result of dust and debris inside the machine...although your symptoms are generally not consistent with heat issues. If it was a heat issue, you would probably find it shutting down a lot after a certain amount of time or when using CPU intensive programs. However, it's always beneficial to have a clean machine so it would probably be an idea to use a tin of canned air to spray out what you can. Be sure to power off and remove the power cable.

Once you have done that try using a program like SpeedFan or SensorsView to check the system temps and other info as they will give you a good indication if there is a possible heat/power issue.

I personally think your problems are software related. Perhaps a bad or corrupted driver or even a malware infection. Do you have any entries in your Event Log which may shed more light on the issue? To view you Event Log, please do the following:

- Click Start -> Run -> type:
eventvwr.msc
- Click OK

Inspect both the Application and System sections for any errors and let us know what you find please.

Have you recently scanned for viruses and other malware?

#5 ·
I was planning on scanning my computer for viruses/spyware tonight and I'll post back with the results. I checked my event viewer and there was about 1.5k events in the application log and 2.6k events in the system event log. Is there anything specific I should look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.