[SOLVED] XP Boot 5min +

928 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Fren Banklin 
#1 ·
I got a friend's laptop that she reported the following problems:
BSOD - unknown stop code
No windows start bar/task bar after startup
Problems with the built in wireless connection

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 220 running Windows XP SP2

When I turned it on... it took 8 and a half minutes to boot into XP. The installation does not have much on it as far as apps. Except for AVG and a formviewer it's pretty much like XP was just loaded, although it looks like it was loaded in July of this year.

Thru MSCONFIG, I disabled all non MS services and starups and restarted. Same thing.... 8 plus minutes to boot into XP. Still no taskbar. I manually restarted explorer.exe which made the full desktop show with the taskbar. I noticed that even after I disabled everything thru msconfig... AVG was still starting the resident shield. Just to eliminate... I uninstalled the entire thing and restarted. This time it booted in about 5 minutes. Most of the time on boot is on the Windows splash screen with the green bar at the bottom.

After this I began having [problems with the HDD and CDROM being recognized in the BIOS. I reseated it a few times and the HDD finally came back online. The CDROM came back after a few more minutes on its own. Oh I forgot.... the machine boots just fine in safe mode. No delays. I checked the event viewer in disk mgmt for errors. I found numerous errors (either Disk or Atapi) with event #11. I checked and found that this might be indicative of a failing HDD or problems with the controller. I ran Hitachi Fit Test on the drive and ran a quick and advanced scan.... all checked out well.

Now I need a little help on which direction to proceed. I've already disabled all services and startups with little change. Can anyone think of a MS Service that starts under normal boot but not safe mode that might be causing this delay??? I'm pretty sure the problem isn't the HDD. Oh...and I found no errors in Device Mgr when I checked into the IDE controller or related hardware.

Thanks for any help.:pray:

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: XP Boot 5min +

Hello & welcome to TSF

this sounds like the system is infected

did she have any real time spyware protection ?

how about doing a disk cleanup and emptying the internet caches thru the internet options

here is a great cleaner for systems & has a good start up manager in it

http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Toolbar_d4191.html

here is a great spyware & maleware scanner the system need to be connected to the internet to get updates & to get installed

http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&_Destroy_Tools_d2471.html

plus i would recommend this

what you need to do is follow this link

http://www.techsupportforum.com/sec...read-before-posting-malware-removal-help.html

for this to work properly you must follow all instructions

if you can not compleat a step make a note and then move to the next step

save all logs to the desktop for ease of reposting

when you have compleated the steps do not post back here you must start a new post in the (Highjackthis Forum log help forum) of this site

stand strong for the techs there are busy

#3 ·

hello again

also

do you have a Windows Xp cd, not the restore cd's that come with some systems, the cd will have the Windows logo & 3D hollowgram/image on it

if you do not maybe you can barrow one from a friend/family member/co-worker as long as it is the same version that is on your system

if you have (Windows XP Home Ed. sp2 ) then the cd will have to be that / if you have a cd with (Windows XP Home Ed. )you will have to slipstream (SP2 ) onto a disk that you create
this also applies for (SP3)

this also applies to (Windows XP Professsional )

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

now if you do have the Windows XP cd with sp2 please follow these steps

--------------------------------------------

performing a (sfc) system file checker

It is a scan that checks the core files & dlls of the (os) operating system and replaces them if they are corrupt or missing with the correct original version

start

#1 then select (run) , then press enter
a window will open
#2 type in ( cmd ) then press enter
another window will open
#3 type in ( sfc )then press enter
another window will open
#4 type in (sfc /purgecache) then enter / your pc will work like crazy / this helps in rebuiding the cache file (notice the space between (sfc & /)
#5 type in (sfc /scannow ) then press enter ( notice the space between the (sfc & / )

now a scan will start , have your (Windows XP software disk ready ) your pc may ask for this disc when it starts or during the scan( so you must sit with the pc while this scan functions ) , if it does then incert the cd into one of your cd/rom/player's , your pc will then reconnize it and continue , you will then have to minimize the splash screen for the cd to see the scan , when the scan is finished you will need to close the cd and all open windows , then remove the cd

you will then need to do a ( Disk Cleanup ) , then empty the caches & temp files thru the (Internet Options) , then do a defrag

restart your pc

then do a defrag again after the reboot

#4 ·

Thanks for the info. I completely forgot about using sfc. I don't know if there was anything other than AVG on there.... But the AVG Resident Shield was always running... also this comp seems to have been reloaded in the recent past. It has not been used in about 5-6 months....about the time I put the reload at so I don't think there is much of any malware/spyware on it. Again.....thanks so much for the info and links. I'll get on the SFC when I get home.... if that doesn't change anything... do you think I should try a repair install?

#5 ·

Hello ,

no you just may need to update the drivers

how much ram/memory does the system have installed ?

also if the system is connected to the internet then you do need to add some spyware protection for the way the internet is today /any amount of internet use can result in infection very quickly

#6 ·
Re: XP Boot 5min + (((PROBLEM FIXED)))

Thanks for the help. While I am very late in writing this.... I just wanted to make sure I thanked u guys for the great help. The SFC did the trick. After scanning with it and restarting.... The boot time reduced to about 2min (Normal for her aged laptop and apps she runs on startup for her biz). Thanks again

#7 ·
#8 ·

After this I began having [problems with the HDD and CDROM being recognized in the BIOS. I reseated it a few times and the HDD finally came back online. The CDROM came back after a few more minutes on its own. Oh I forgot.... the machine boots just fine in safe mode. No delays. I checked the event viewer in disk mgmt for errors. I found numerous errors (either Disk or Atapi) with event #11. I checked and found that this might be indicative of a failing HDD or problems with the controller. I ran Hitachi Fit Test on the drive and ran a quick and advanced scan.... all checked out well.
Are both of these on the same cable ? Disconnect the optical drive from the system, and see if the problem goes away. You might need to re-jumper the HD if there is a special setting for Master, with no Slave present.

When one device is bad on a cable, it can cause the other device to have problems. I don't think malware is going to prevent your peripherals to be recognized in BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.