Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Windows XP won't start after disk cleanup.

18K views 96 replies 4 participants last post by  patmark 
#1 ·
First off, appreciate what you guy do, if it weren't for the people that try and help, where would this world be???

My problem is as follows, I am not the most literate tech guy so be gentle, I'm typing on my laptop trying to fix my desktop.

Windows XP, was doing a "disk cleanup". Clicked on something that was supposed to regain some space... not sure exactly. When I returned, I see have of my desktop icons missing, no words on the desktop.... noting currently happening.

Attempted a reboot, received a screen that stated "windows couldn't start.....", missing or corrupt Hal.dll.

I searched all the forums, found some suggestions ,attempted all of them. Some seemed to work but not sure. My last attempt was following the path to the Recovery console, when I get to "which windows installation would you like to log onto...", I type 1 and hit enter. I was supposed to get a password request next. I don't. I got the C:\windows>.

I reboooted again, without attempting to boot from the CD. Received a new screen

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Reviewed following links, nothing work with these 3

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?hal.

Received some advise to try these
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000648.htm
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairbootini.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184

First one got to the scanning then returned a message of "Error! - Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations, The error may be caused by a corrupt file system which would prevent bootcfg from successful scanning. Scan using chkdsk to detect disk error.

I did that, initially said everything appeared ok, I forced to scan by adding the /p. No issues. Went on to the second and third help links... both ended the same spot. I did try the bootcfg /list - received There are currently no boot entries available to display.

Not at all familiar with anything relating to booting...

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Re: Windows XP won't start after disk cleanup.

I understand you are typing from your laptop :)
ntfs is a file system lke fat32 for example. If you have recently run defrag than that is not the issue.

It says it can't find a windows folder yet you were able to go to c:\windows. When there did you do a dir /s and see files go by?

Can your laptop burn cds?

Next step would be to download the following;

knoppix or bartpe so you can boot up via cd to then view the contents of the drive
identify the drive manufacturer and go to their web site and download/run their drive diagnostics to make sure the drive is OK.

Do you have your xp cd?

#5 ·

I have a laptop that can burn CD's. In fact, I went to http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ , downloaded a copy do the laptop desktop, transfered it to a CD... removed the XP reinstallation CD from the affected machine, installed tat new CD, tried to boot... doesn't appear to recognize that CD. Did I do something wrong?

I have a CD titled "Reinstallation CD"

At the recovery console, when I type in d /s, I see

The volume in Drive C has no label
The volume serial number is 9834-384d
Directory of C:\Windows
No matching files found.

If I type in DIR, I see about 25 lines.

The lines with yesterdays date has a "0" to the right. The ones with numbers are as follows:

bootstat.dat - 2048
explorer.exe - 1033728
hh.exe - 10752
notepad.exe - 69120
QTFont.qfn
regedit.exe - 146432
SchedlgU.txt - 32634
setupapi.log - 508
setup_9.0.0.722_12.06.2010_23=38drv.spi - 198
slrundll.exe - 32866
twain_32.dll - 50688
windowsShell.manifest - 749
windowsupdate.log - 1249019
winhlp32.exe - 283648
winnt.bmp - 48680
winnt256.bmp - 48680
xmd.ico - 25214

#45 · (Edited)

Not sure what happened to start all this, but this has me wondering:
If I type in DIR, I see about 25 lines.

The lines with yesterdays date has a "0" to the right. The ones with numbers are as follows:

bootstat.dat - 2048
explorer.exe - 1033728
hh.exe - 10752
notepad.exe - 69120
QTFont.qfn
regedit.exe - 146432
SchedlgU.txt - 32634
setupapi.log - 508
setup_9.0.0.722_12.06.2010_23=38drv.spi - 198
slrundll.exe - 32866
twain_32.dll - 50688
windowsShell.manifest - 749
windowsupdate.log - 1249019
winhlp32.exe - 283648
winnt.bmp - 48680
winnt256.bmp - 48680
xmd.ico - 25214
The lines with a 0 in front of the name will be the folders.
If that's all you saw, 25 lines or so, then most of your Windows folder is missing. Which would explain why bootcfg didn't work.
There should be about 120-130 files and folders, 4 or 5 pages of files. I'll attach some screen shots, 4 pages gets all but the last 3 lines on the XP home system i took the screen shots from, which is:
Code:
08/23/01  05:00a  -a------       707 _default.pif
            124 files(s)  6853769 bytes
             15159238656 bytes free
Each picture is two pages, the red line divides them.

So let's check a couple things using Ubuntu.
Sounds like you've got Ubuntu figured out enough to find the Windows and Windows\System32 folders, so letts see how many files you have in those folders

In Ubuntu, click Places and select the hard drive.
Click View, and make sure Statusbar is checked. Also check Show Hidden Files.
There should be a boot.ini file visible.
Double click on it to open it.
Copy and paste the contents here.
You should be able to access the internet using Firefox, it's the icon just to the right of System in the Main Menu bar.

Next, back in the file browser, double click on Windows
The Statusbar at the bottom should show how many items are in the folder, how many are in Windows?
Find and double click on System32, how many items in here?

Find the halold.dll file you renamed earlier.
Right click on it, click Properties.
What is the size in bytes and the Modified date?
This will tell us what version the system was using.

Just so you know, I'll be in and out all day myself.
And thanks for finding the error in the procedure. I'd changed Copy to Expand for some reason, and Expand uses a different syntax. I changed it back to Copy, the Recovery Console version of Copy also does the Expand, so Expand isn't needed.

Attachments

#6 ·

Hi Maynard and welcome to TSF. I would be happy to assist you if I am able. Let's start with some basic information that I will need to troubleshoot the problem that your system is having. The programs that Wand recommended are great programs for this type of problem along with Linux and unbutu, provided that you are able to download them and burn them to a disk to boot your computer with. Here's what I need to know:

Which operating system is your system running? Is it XP home, XP pro, or OEM and which service pack is it using? Sp1, 2, or 3.

What kind of computer is it? Home built, Dell, HP, Ect.

What XP disk are you using to access the repair console? Is it a full legal copy of XP that you purchased or is it an XP disk that came with your computer such as a Dell re-installation disk for example.

Provided that you are using a full install disk for the operating system their are a couple of things that we can try to correct this problem. One would be a repair without data loss. Another would be to back up your data using a linux CD and wiping the HD and reinstalling the operating system. This would actually be the easiest and fastest option but we will try everything else first.

Please answer these questions for me and let me know how you would like to proceed.

One more thing, go to the recovery console again if you are able and type diskpart at the prompt and hit enter and post back how your system is patitioned.

Unfortunately I am unable to work on this with you tonight however,

I will monitor this thread throughout the day starting tomorrow morning to see your response and will be able to work with you then. If you resolve this problem on your own or with the info I provided please let me know so I can move on to other issues. Also please mark this thread solved using the thread tools option located at the top of this thread and selecting solved from the drop down menu when your computer is working correctly and you are through with this thread so thatr others may benifit from it in the future.

Thank you
Patmark

#7 ·

XP home with SP3 in a Dell Dimension E310 machine.

I'm not positive this CD came with this machine, I have 3 or 4 Dell machines... this Dell disk says Reinstallation CD. It says XP home Service pack 2 on the disk.

I have a couple other machines that have cd drives, all connectable to the internet.

I'm looking for you for guidance as to how to proceed. I have lots of stuff on this HD, I'd hate to lose it.

At the Recovery Console, when I type in Diskpart, I see in the box:

152587 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1 [NTFS] 152578 MB (142292 MB Free)
Unpartitioned space 8 MB

#8 ·

Good morning Maynard. Thats awsome info buddy and just what I needed to see. Well unfortunately with that disk we can't do a repair without data loss. So lets try this first.
Now this is alot of information but its step by step instructions on how to perform these proceedures. Just take it one step at a time completing each step in sequence. If you encounter a problem please stop there and ask me in a post. Also read the entire set of instructions and then proceed. I know you said that you did the bootcfg /rebuild eeeeeer.... I think you did, but try it following these instructions exactly. Ok I can't think of anything else I wanted to tell you for now, just take your time and good luck.

When you boot from the CD, the following is displayed:
On a black screen:
Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration...
Screen turns Blue, and Windows Setup is displayed at the top.
at the bottom is displayed the following in sequence:
Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver
Press F2 to run Automated System Recovery (ASR)...
Setup is loading files (file names displayed)
Title changes to Windows XP Professional (or Home Edition) Setup

The options to setup or repair Windows are displayed
Choose To repair a Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R.
You may need to choose the Windows installation if you have a dual boot system. Type the number of the Windows installation you want to log into.
You will need to enter the Administrator password unless you previously disabled that requirement; if it's blank, just press enter.

You should now be at a C:\WINDOWS> prompt
Type the following lines pressing Enter after each one. Change the drive letter if needed.
Note that there are spaces between each differently colored part of the commands:
CD \ (There is a space after CD)
Ren Boot.ini Boot.old
If you get an error that the file can't be found skip step 3.
Type Exit. This will reboot the system. Re-enter the Recovery Console and start at step 4.
(If you don't reboot, any previous entries in the boot.ini file might get added again, as they are stored in memory)
Type BootCfg /Rebuild
This will go through several prompts.
The following is an example. You would type the colored text:

Code:
Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

Please wait, since this may take a while...

The Windows installation scan was successful.

Note: These results are stored statically for this session.
If the disk configuration changes during this session,
in order to get an updated scan, you must first reboot
the machine and then rescan the disks.

Total identified Windows installs: 1

[1]: C:\WINDOWS
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All):y
Enter Load Identifier:Microsoft Windows XP Professional (or what ever you want to identify the OS)
Enter OS Load Options:/noexecute=optin /fastdetect
Note: There is a space between optin and /fastdetectType Fixboot
type Y to write the new boot sector

Remove the CD, then type Exit and see if it will boot into Windows.

If that doesn't work, we can try replacing the hal.dll file, either from the ServicePackFiles folder (if present) or the CD.
There are 7 different versions of the hal.dll file. When Windows XP is installed, it selects the correct file from one of the following and renames it to hal.dll

Code:
HAL File Copied Computer Description in Device Manager
Halmacpi.dll ACPI Multiprocessor PC
Halaacpi.dll ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Halacpi.dll Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
Halmps.dll MPS Multiprocessor PC
Halapic.dll MPS Uniprocessor PC
Hal.dll Standard PC
Halsp.dll Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% CompatibleThe first three are the most common. If you have two processors, or a dual/quad core processor, the ACPI MultiProcessor PC hal (halmacpi.dll) is the one to use.
If a Single core/Single processor, one of the next two should be chosen, Halaacpi.dll or Halacpi.dll.
If you are not sure, you can pick the Standard PC Hal.dll, and then we can check the version of the old file after booting to Safe Mode, then correct our choice if needed.
Running System Restore after replacing the hal.dll file might not replace this file with the correct version, so easiest to replace it manually.

There are two other files that are tied to the hal.dll. They are:
ntoskrnl.exe
ntkrnlpa.exe
For single processor systems, the files are named the same as above.
For multi-processor systems, these two files get renamed:
ntkrnlmp.exe -> ntoskrnl.exe
ntkrpamp.exe -> ntkrnlpa.exe
I haven't tested all combinations of these files to see which will work. If you install the Standard PC hal.dll, you may need to also install the single processor versions of ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlpa.exe or the system might not boot.
On a Dual Core Pentium D system running XP MCE 2005 w/SP2 (Same as XP Pro), the system will not boot after replacng the hal.dll file with the one from the CD. I had to replace the ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlpa.exe files with the single processor versions for it to boot, and the system then was only using one core from the Pentium D processor.
The correct file to use on this system is the halmacpi.dll
The ntkrpamp.exe and ntkrnlpa.exe files will be in the i386\SPX.CAB file on the CD, where X is the Service Pack number.
To extract the file, use this command in the Recovery Console, using the appropriate SP# and file name:
expand D:\i386\SP2.cab /F:ntkrnlpa.exe C:\Windows\System32
Once expanded, rename if needed.

Boot to the Recovery Console as above.
Type the following:
Systemroot
CD System32
Ren hal.dll halold.dll
If the hal.dll file is actually missing, this will give an error, just ignore it.
Copy ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.old
Copy ntkrnlpa.exe ntkrnlpa.old
Dir C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\hal*
Do one of the following depending on the result
Note: Do not add a space between the Dark Red and Red sections.
If it lists 7 files (or at least hal.dll)
type the following:
Copy C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\hal.dll C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll
Replace hal.dll with the appropriate file name from the above table.
Do NOT change hal.dll
Example for an ACPI Multiprocessor PC:
Copy C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\Halmacpi.dll C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll
If you get an error The system cannot find the file or directory specified.
Type the following:
Map
Find the line Device\CdRom0 and note the drive letter X:. This is your CD-Rom.
Expand X:\i386\hal.dl_ C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll
Replace hal.dl_ with the appropriate file name from the above table, but change the last L to an underscore. Do NOT change hal.dll
Some OEM CDs have those files uncompressed. If you get an error that the file can't be found type this:
dir X:\i386\hal*.*
If the files are listed with a .dll extension instead of .dl_, use Copy instead of Expand, and use .dll
Remove the CD, then type Exit
When the system reboots we want to boot to Safe Mode, so tap F8 to bring up the Windows Advanced Options Menu and choose Safe Mode.
If other files have been corrupted, you may get a different error message. Post the complete error message, and we'll see what other steps need to be taken.
Otherwise, you should end up in Safe Mode.
If the system hangs, and you copied the Standard hal.dll file, you may need to go back into the Recovery Console and copy the single processor versions of ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlpa.exe from the CD or the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder into the C:\Windows\System32 folder

Check which version the old file was:
Double click My Computer
Double click the C: drive
Double click Windows
Double click System32
Right click on halold.dll, click Properties.
If hal.dll was missing, the halold.dll file won't exist. Best we can do here is see if ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlpa.exe are Uniprocessor versions or Multiprocessor versions, and use a matching hal.dll
Click the Version tab
Click on Original File Name
The original name will be displayed.
Repeat for the ntoskrnl.old and ntkrnlpa.old files
If the wrong hal file was chosen, you may at some point get a notice that Windows has finished installing new devices and needs to reboot. Click No.
If you need to change the file, first copy it to your desktop.
Copy the correct file(s) from one of these folders:
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
C:\Windows\System32\dllcache
C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\drivers.cab
C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\SPX.CAB
or from the CD:
D:\i386
D:\i386\drivers.cab
D:\i386\SPX.CAB
If it is compressed (it'll have a .dl_ or .ex_ extension) we first need to expand it.
Click Start | Run, type cmd, Press Enter
type the following:
CD /D %userprofile%\Desktop
expand halXXXX.dl_ hal.dll
where halXXXX.dl_ is the name of the file you copied
If not compressed, just rename the file to hal.dll
Do the same for the ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlpa.exe files
Use ntkrnlmp.exe and ntkrpamp.exe if you want the Multi-processor versions
renaming them to ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlpa.exe
Now navigate back to the C:\Windows\System32 folder and drag the hal.dll, ntoskrnl.exe, and ntkrnlpa.exe files from the desktop and drop it into the System32 folder. You'll be asked if you want to replace the existing files, click Yes

Reboot the system.

I will check on you throughout the day to monitor your progress buddy.

Patmark

#9 ·

Wow.. lots of info but I'm up to try it, not sure how far I'll get before my wife yanks me away ... and thanks for your help and patience. One other forum told me he thought my hd might be damaged, like I said earlier, I'd like to get my stuff off if possible

one thing I am very weak on is entries at the command prompt. I'm never sure where a space should be or not. I was scanning your words and there was one place where it said "no space between the two colors" but I didn't note any different colors so....

if there a way you can go thru my instructions and make it obvious when a space is needed or not?

That would be helpful

#10 ·

Ya I know its alot to take in. my best advice is to just take it slow, and do it at a time when there are few distractions. You will do fine if you take the commands one at a time and will gain confidence as you start to see them work. Not too mention that you will learn alot by doing this as well which is always one of my goals. I copy and pasted the instructions from another thread that's why the colors aren't there. Here is a link to the thread so you can see the colors and will be able to type the commands correctly. Remember if you encounter a problem that you can't overcome STOP post the problem and I will help you through it. That's what I'm here for. We will get this problem resolved my friend, just be patient with me and yourself. Here's the link it's the 13th post down, Skip the first part and start where my posts instructions started.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10...covery-console-problems-need-help-528313.html

I will continue to check on your progress and be around for any questions you might have. Good luck

Patmark

#11 ·

Finally got back to it! Thanks for the last email..made it clearer

Started at the 13th post. Got to the recovery console...

Typed in CD \ hit enter
Typed in Ren Boot.ini Boot.old, got a line that said the file can't be found, I skipped step 3.

Typed BootCfg /Rebuild

Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk....

I ran the chkdsk, no issues. I ran chkdsk /p, like it suggested. just a bunch of numbers but no indication that anything was wrong.

I guess you would call this a problem so I'm stopping, awaiting further guidance

#12 ·

Your thoughts on this post I read

Hi Guys! Dont lose your time with that ****. I had same problem just burn a ubuntu 9.04 installation cd. Also you can use this cd as live cd. This is what we need. Later boot from cd, ubuntu will ask something and later you will have your temporary desktop! Later places-computer-media and here you are.... Just copy your dll to system and later boot from hdd... F.. windows as you see linux repairing windows mistakes..

#13 ·

Ok Maynard you are doing fine, don't get discouraged because the first thing that you tried didn't work. We knew the bootcfg might not work remember. What we have to do here to get your computer to boot is to copy the files that your computer is missing from the disk to the computer. Since the only disk you have is a Dell re-installation disk with SP2 the repair console is pretty much our only option for doing this. The instructions in that post give step by step instructions on how to do that. So at this point move on to the part of those instructions that says Boot to the Recovery Console as above and give that a try. There is also another post in that thread that has a Zip file attached to it with a copy of the files you need and a boot.ini file as well. Thats the next to the last post in the thread. Give that a try next.
You might try downloading the zipped files to your desktop. unzipping them and burning them to a disk. You will need an ISO burning program to make this work. You can get a free one at the link below.

Download IsoBurner-Setup.exe

http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

As for the post you read, If you will remember I suggested that we could use these linux programs as an option to fixing your computer in my first post. If we have to resort to using that option you will still have to download an ISO file and burn it to disk to use it. I have never used the program so I won't be able to tell you how to proceed with it, however not too worry if you decide to go that route I will contact another tech that is very proficient at Linux to assist you.

I really think that the instructions with the associated zip file in the next to the last post in the thread I gave you will resolve your issue provided you are able to follow the instructions and perform the required proceedures in the post. I hope I didn't lose you here by rambling on I'm just trying to give you as much info as I can think of to help you resolve this issue. Troubleshooting in a forum setting can be painfully slow and quite a challenge sometimes.

Well that should give you plenty of options and lots of work to do. I will monitor your progress as the day progresses.

Patmark

#14 ·

Thanks, it will take a lot like not being to recover to get me discouraged, I'm enjoying this, learning as I go. Been doing a lot of reading on the subject... I'll include a link at the end that I found. If you haven't seen it (which I doubt), feel free to add it to your collection of fixes.

Anyway, Got to the recoevry console, started the intructions
Typed in Ren hal.dll halold.dll - no error
Typed in Copy ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.old - The system cannot find the file specified
Typed in Copy ntkrnlpa.exe ntkrnlpa.old - The system cannot find the file specified

I'm moving on to obtaining the zip files. I plan to download to this computer and burn to a CD..

Here is that other link http://www.informationweek.com/news...UNN2JVN?articleID=189400897&_requestid=319026

#15 ·

I'm back.... did the zip/iso thing.

Was able to get a CD with 4 folders, one wordpad file lable "boot".

Attempted to boot from this disc (8 selections)..

First one - received a screen that stated "windows couldn't start.....", missing or corrupt \system32\hal.dll.

Second and the rest - said something about hardware configuration problems, could not read from selected boot disc

awaiting further direction...

#16 ·

That link shows you how to do a non destructive repair of XP and is a really great tool. I have a similar link that shows you how to perform this proceedure with screen shots and it is a very helpful tool. The problem in your case is that your copy of XP is a re-installation disk as opposed to a regular installation disk. Also your system is running SP3 and the disk is slipstreamed with SP2 so because of those two things it will not allow you to perform that particular proceedure. I sure wish it wasn't that way because otherwise your computer would be fixed by now LOL.

Shoot I was hoping that the disk you made from Outcastes instruction would automatically copy the files for you so it wouldn't be so darn difficult. To get your computer to boot up so we are able to work on it from the windows enviroment we have to get those files, namely the hal.dll files and the associated ntoskrnl.exe
ntkrnlpa.exe files, copied from the windows disk that you have which should be the D: or E: drive to the C: drive and into the correct folder so that when you boot without the disk in Windows sees these files and boots to Windows. That's the goal here.

Now once you are in the repair console to acheive this you are going to have to use the copy command to do this. I am going to give you a link. open the link and scroll down the page and it will show you all the commands that can be used in the repair console and their associated switches. There is also a brief explaination of how each command works.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Now before you attempt to copy the files which you will be doing 1 at a time using the copy command. Try following the instructions at this link for fixmbr. That might fix the master boot record and allow you to boot. If that is unsuccessful then use the copy command to copy the .hal and the others one at a time from your CD Drive to your C: drive.

This link will also show you commands to use to navigate Your CD drive and your C: drive and locate the folders containing the files that you need to copy. Find them on the CD drive first, then locate the proper folder on the C: drive so that you will know how to type the copy command to get the computer to copy them.

Note: The commands for seeing the files and folders on any drive are the cd cddir and the dir commands. I wish I could be there to show you how to do all this but unfortunately all I can do from here is give you access to the tools you need to perform the task. My Cowboys are playing at 1PM so I will check in on you after the game. If you are unable to get the files copied correctly, we will then consider going to the linux route. I truely believe however that if you take your time and experiment a little you will figure it out and become a much better computer operator for the experience. You really can't screw it up any worse than it is right now LOL, so don't be afraid to try something new. The worst that will happen is that you will have to find a full install disk some place and reinstall the operating system. That's all I can think of to tell you for right now other than I will continue to work with you as long as it takes to resolve this issue.

I will check on you later buddy.

Patmark

#17 ·

uggggg, I'm already stuck or confused... before I hit enter, thought I'd check.

I typed in fixmbr \device\harddisk0

I received a screen **CAUTION**

This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record.

This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible.

If you are not having problems accessing your drive, do not continue

Are you sure?

#18 ·

Well buddy your having trouble accessing the drive are you not? It won't boot the way it is right? So if you fix the Master boot record that should allow the computer to boot. For your computer to boot right the master boot record needs to be correct, therefore type y and hit enter and lets see if that will fix the problem for you automatically by rewriting the master boot record and putting back the missing or corrupt files the computer needs to boot. Like I said the worst that will happen is that it won't work, so if that's the case we will move on to the next thing. Give it a try buddy, and let me know what happens. My games over now (We WON WAAAAAAHOOOOO!!!) so I will continue to check on you every 30 mins or so to see how you are progressing.

By the way great job getting the command in right. Your doing great.

#22 ·

Oh one more thing to keep in mind. If when you copy a file it says that the file already exists do you want to overwrite it. Type y and hit enter. This will be a wonderful sign as it means that not only have you successfully used the command but that you have copied it to the correct folder. If however you do not get the prompt that simply means that the file is missing and so it needed to be replaced. Either way you will be on the right path to getting the computer to boot.

#23 ·

I'm confused again....
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I tried a normal boot... it showed I was still missing system 32\hal.dll.

Went back and re-read your instructions. I think I'm at the point I'm suppose to copy certain files from the D drive and send them to the C... not sure how to get that started. I did type in dir d:\ which showed the contents of the D (cd) but, that didn't appear to do me much good

#24 ·

Ok When you used the dir command to look for the files in the D: what happened? Did a whole bunch of files scroll by? That's what should have happened. What it will show you are the folders and sub folders in the drive that you are using the command for. I believe the files that you are looking for will be in the systen32 folder on the D: drive so let's try this command.

First let see if we can find the .hal files on the CD drive so type in the following:

D:\ then hit enter. This should put you into the correct directory.

Now try

expand D:\i386\SP2.cab and hit enter if this command doesn't work try
expand D:\windows\system32

This should expand this folder so that you can see the files in it.

Now look through these files to see if you can find the .hal files in there. There may be as many as 7 or 8 of them. Also see if you see the ntoskrnl.exe and the ntkrnlpa.exe files in there as well. If you do post back and let me know.

#26 ·

Once you've located the .hal file on the D: drive then the copy command should look something like this to copy the file to the C:\windows-system32 folder.

copy D:\windows\system32\.hal C:\windows\system32

This of course is just an example as I don't know the exact name of the file but where it says .hal you would type in the file name. You will need to do this for each file 1 at a time until they are all copied to the system32 folder of the C: drive.

Remember to switch to the C drive before you copy the file by typing C: and hitting enter.

That should keep you busy for awhile while I eat dinner I'll check back in a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.