Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Windows XP won't start after disk cleanup.

18K views 96 replies 4 participants last post by  patmark 
#1 ·
First off, appreciate what you guy do, if it weren't for the people that try and help, where would this world be???

My problem is as follows, I am not the most literate tech guy so be gentle, I'm typing on my laptop trying to fix my desktop.

Windows XP, was doing a "disk cleanup". Clicked on something that was supposed to regain some space... not sure exactly. When I returned, I see have of my desktop icons missing, no words on the desktop.... noting currently happening.

Attempted a reboot, received a screen that stated "windows couldn't start.....", missing or corrupt Hal.dll.

I searched all the forums, found some suggestions ,attempted all of them. Some seemed to work but not sure. My last attempt was following the path to the Recovery console, when I get to "which windows installation would you like to log onto...", I type 1 and hit enter. I was supposed to get a password request next. I don't. I got the C:\windows>.

I reboooted again, without attempting to boot from the CD. Received a new screen

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Reviewed following links, nothing work with these 3

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?hal.

Received some advise to try these
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000648.htm
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairbootini.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184

First one got to the scanning then returned a message of "Error! - Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations, The error may be caused by a corrupt file system which would prevent bootcfg from successful scanning. Scan using chkdsk to detect disk error.

I did that, initially said everything appeared ok, I forced to scan by adding the /p. No issues. Went on to the second and third help links... both ended the same spot. I did try the bootcfg /list - received There are currently no boot entries available to display.

Not at all familiar with anything relating to booting...

See less See more
#80 ·
Re: Windows XP won't start after disk cleanup.

Hmm, so the three key files should now all be the MultiProcessor versions.
The ntkrnlpa.exe and ntoskrnl.exe are slightly newer versions, but that shouldn't make a difference. I have a system with the hal version at 5512, and the other two at 5793 like yours are.

Lets try the Single Processor versions.
On the laptop, navigate to here:
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
You should find all the various Hal* and NT* files.
You'll want to copy these:
hal.dll
ntkrnlpa.exe
ntoskrnl.exe

These will be the single processor versions, the original file name should all show the same as the actual file name.
Make a backup of the ntoskrnl.exe file on the Desktop first (you already have a copy of the ntkrnlpa.exe file named ntkrnlpa.old).
See if that gives the same error. If it does, it's a good sign it actually a different file that is the problem, it's just Windows is reporting the ntoskrnl.exe file and not the actual file.
In that case, it may be easier to just backup any files you need using the Ubuntu CD, either ot an external drive, or over the network to the laptop if it has room, and re-install.

You might try a Repair install again, you can use a lower SP disk to do a repair install in some cases. Adding these files may allow the SP2 disk to offer to do a repair, though it will revert it to SP2. You could also try slipstreaming SP3 into a new disc, see if that will then offer a Repair install.

The Dell re-install CDs are usually a standard MS OEM disk, they just have drivers specific to a particular Dell model added, so if the disk didn't come with that PC, it might not have the drivers for all the hardware, but those can be downloaded from Dell. The Desktop should have a COA sticker on it with the XP Home product key, you may need that, though the dell disks often will use the OEM Volume key if it recognizes the Dell model.

If there is no COA sticker on the desktop, we can recover the key from the registry, just have to copy the registry files to the laptop and use a key reader like Magical Jellybean Keyfinder, but that key might not work with the Dell CD, depends on how the desktop was installed.

#81 ·

I'm getting ready to install those 3 files into the system32 folder in the broken machine.

I don't understand this statement, thought I'd better ask before proceeding

Make a backup of the ntoskrnl.exe file on the Desktop first (you already have a copy of the ntkrnlpa.exe file named ntkrnlpa.old).

and this one

In that case, it may be easier to just backup any files you need using the Ubuntu CD, either ot an external drive, or over the network to the laptop if it has room, and re-install.

Using Ubuntu, I should be able to access all of the files? I looked around earlier, couldn't find the MP3 ones... maybe they are gone/lost?

#83 ·

Well, it may be time to give up....

I added the files, did what you told me... have a new message

"Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as: load needed DLLs for kernel.

Please contact your support person to report this problem."

#84 · (Edited)

That error means the hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe files are mismatched:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326671

Double check the file sizes to make sure you aren't using the Multiprocessor ntoskrnl version with the Standard/Single (Uniprocessor) hal.
Still doesn't mean it will work if they are matched, but it's easy to mix them up with the renaming. Might just be you didn't copy one of the files that you thought you did. Or accidentally dropped it in Windows or Windows\System instead of Windows\System32. I've done that one a few times.

These are the SP3 file sizes and dates:
Code:
04/14/2008  12:01 AM           105,344 hal.dll       Standard PC
04/14/2008  12:01 AM           131,840 halaacpi.dll  ACPI Uniprocessor PC
04/14/2008  12:01 AM            81,152 halacpi.dll   Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
[COLOR=Red]04/14/2008  12:01 AM           134,400 halmacpi.dll  ACPI Multiprocessor PC[/COLOR]

04/14/2008  12:01 AM         2,065,792 ntkrnlpa.exe
[COLOR=Red]04/14/2008  12:01 AM         2,023,936 ntkrpamp.exe (Rename to ntkrnlpa.exe)
[/COLOR]
04/14/2008  12:57 AM         2,188,928 ntoskrnl.exe
[COLOR=Red]04/14/2008  12:54 AM         2,145,280 ntkrnlmp.exe (Rename to ntoskrnl.exe)
[/COLOR]
The nt* files in red can only be used with the hal* file shown in red. The other hal files can not be used with the nt* files shown in red.
Might want to create 4 folders, one for each of those 4 hal files, and put the correct nt* files in them, then rename the files.

You have version of the nt* files dated April 2010, these are from an August update, and these are the possible sizes (gives another 4 possible combinations):
Code:
5.1.2600.5973 - Aug 2010 update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981852

Ntkrnlmp.exe	5.1.2600.5973	2,146,304	27-Apr-2010	13:59	x86	SP3	SP3GDR
Ntkrnlpa.exe	5.1.2600.5973	2,066,816	27-Apr-2010	13:05	x86	SP3	SP3GDR
Ntkrpamp.exe	5.1.2600.5973	2,024,448	27-Apr-2010	13:05	x86	SP3	SP3GDR
Ntoskrnl.exe	5.1.2600.5973	2,189,952	28-Apr-2010	02:25	x86	SP3	SP3GDR

Ntkrnlmp.exe	5.1.2600.5973	2,146,304	27-Apr-2010	13:54	x86	SP3	SP3QFE
Ntkrnlpa.exe	5.1.2600.5973	2,066,944	28-Apr-2010	14:14	x86	SP3	SP3QFE
Ntkrpamp.exe	5.1.2600.5973	2,024,448	27-Apr-2010	13:14	x86	SP3	SP3QFE
Ntoskrnl.exe	5.1.2600.5973	2,190,080	27-Apr-2010	13:50	x86	SP3	SP3QFE

#85 ·

Not sure if I should put my two cents in here or not guys, but at this point it really seems to me that a re-install of the OS is really going to be the easiest way to resolve this issue. I think we have all earned an A+ for effort here. The way I see it is that if Maynard were to have brought this computer to me to fix for him I most likely would have done the re-install already, as its a pretty sick little computer. I imagine OutCaste, you would have done the same. The thing about me, (and I'm starting to notice that OC seems to be the same way), is that I hate to lose or give up on something LOL. But really fellas we've done everything humanly possible from a forum enviroment.

I will wait to see how you two would like to proceed, and then if you need us to Maynard we can post instructions for you to try to make the re-install go as easy as possible.

Patmark

Darn Cowboys!!!! Well they get an A+ for effort too. They almost pulled off the win.

#86 ·

hi guys, I'm not ready to give up but if that's what you think we should do.... I'll do that.

OC - I read your last post, you implied in there that I should have "renamed" something earlier.... I did not. I may have missed that point in one of your instructions. If lack of renaming something is part of problem, direct me back to the post that I screwed up.

anyway, checked the file sizes of the 3 files I have in windows/system 32 folder.

hal.dll - 105,344
ntoskrnl.exe - 2188928
ntkrnlpa.exe - 2065792

#88 ·

hal.dll - 105,344
ntoskrnl.exe - 2188928
ntkrnlpa.exe - 2065792
Those should be matching files, unless Windows wants the 131,840 byte halaacpi.dll file to be used as the hal.dll. You could try putting a copy of that file, renamed to hal.dll, on the system, see if that makes a difference.
Then try it with the files in red. I'm not sure we confirmed you had the 134,400 byte halmacpi.dll file on the system when the multiprocessor versions of the nt* files were present.
So, first:
131,840 byte halaacpi.dll renamed to hal.dll with the current nt* files that are already present.

Then these three files:
134,400 halmacpi.dll renamed to hal.dll
2,023,936 ntkrpamp.exe (Rename to ntkrnlpa.exe)
2,145,280 ntkrnlmp.exe (Rename to ntoskrnl.exe)

If that doesn't work, then go for the repair/re-install if you have recovered the files you need. If you can't find the files using Ubuntu, that's when I would be connecting the drive to a Windows system to run recovery software, either mounting the drive into a desktop as a 2nd drive, or using a USB Enclosure or adapter.

#87 ·

Well Maynard, let's see what Outcaste thinks first, and we will proceed from there. The benifits of the re-install will be that not only will it resolve the .hal issue but your computer will run like brand new. Ive already located the page that has the drivers that you should need, it looks pretty basic so it shouldn't be too hard to do. This is of course as long as you are able to backup your My Document folder, and picts you want, and any music, ect. that you want to save. With Unbutu it should be pretty straight forward to back up the files that you want to save so that you can simply load them back on once the re-install is complete.

But like I said let's hold off until OC has a chance to voice his thoughts.

Hope you had a great holiday buddy. I'll talk to you soon.

Patmark

#89 ·

I think I'm there with a re-install...

I've been in Ubuntu, can't find any of the files I'd like to keep (music,pictures etc), they must be gone. It does seem a little strange that it shows that I have "37,718 items, totalling 10.7 GB", the majority of it in System Volume Information.

In Ubuntu, it shows I have a 160 GB File System. Expanding that folder I see:

Cmdcons - 226 items, 7.7 MB
Docs and Settings - 701 items, 206.5 MB
FU_Backup - 30 items, 167.1 KB
HP P4010Printer - 2 items, 22.7 KB
Program Files - 6,332 items, 641.5 MB
Recycler - 2 items, 588 KB
SDFix - 2 items, 13 KB
System Volume Info - 26,940 items, 8.7 GB
Windows - 3,466 items, 1.2 GB
Trash - 12 items, 4.5 MB

OC - you said "...or using a USB Enclosure or adapter.", is that something I can buy where I won't have to take the computer apart to remove the hd?

Pat - Please send the info I need to wipe and start over

I'm off to try your last thoughts, I'll et you know IF anything is different

#90 ·

Good morning Maynard. I think it would probably be for the best to re-install. Remember in the begining I told you that we would try everything else first before doing a reinstall?
Well buddy I think we are there.

Are you able to access the internet on the broken computer using Unbutu and Firefox? gotogoogle and type in free data recovery programs That should give you alot of choices of some programs that you can download and install to locate the information that you can't find on your hard drive and give you the chance to back it up either onto a thumb drive or as OC suggested. Now I bought 2 4GIG thumb drives from the $1 store for 6 bucks a peice. I don't know how much data that you need to back up but 8GIGs should be more than enough room. Don't worry about saving any programs just back up your personal stuff.

OK once that is done. Then follow the instructions in this link. I'm posting it so that you can see what each screen in the installation procees looks like. Once you have completed the reinstall post back and let us know and we will give you links to any drivers you might require, and I will be happy to help you connect to the internet and suggest some programs to download and install. Ok heres the link buddy good luck and let us know if you run into any problems.

http://howtoformatacomputer.com/format-windows-xp#more-20

#91 ·

I downloaded a program from EASEUS for data recovery, moved it to thumb, attempted to open on bad machine - no luck.

Went on internet, tried to download on bad machine - no luck.

any ideas on how to get this or any program on bad machine at this point?

Secondly... any thoughts on running a "wipe drive" on bad machine? I have the disk

#92 · (Edited)

Download the install file to your working computer, copy it to the desktop of the broken computer using your thumbdrive and install it. Get the data that you want to save off the broken computer.

Put the Win Recovery CD in
Turn off the computer and restart it.
Follow the instructions in my previous post by opening the link I provided and follow the onscreen instructions to format and reinstall the operating system.

The link I provided has screen shots for you to look at to make sure you are performing this proceedure correctly.

I will monitor your progress throughout the day.

#93 ·

Recovery Software would be installed on the working PC, not the broken one. Then you connect the hard drive from the broken system to the working system.
Some of the commercial products can create a bootable Rescue disk to use on the broken system.

The UBCD4Win includes some file recovery software, but takes some work to configure and create the image that will become the CD. It's not just an ISO you download and burn.

You don't want to install anything to the drive you are trying to recover files from as you may overwrite the files you are trying to recover.

#94 ·

hey you guys... thanks for all of your hard work, I'm into the reformat and reinstall, as soon as I have enough time. Things have been ugly around here this last week...

One more question, maybe you can point me in the right direction.

This laptop, XP and sp3. Takes forever to get to a point where I can do something. I timed it once from the time the desktop picture showed up until the little hour glass went away... it was 85 seconds.

I have unchecked everything in MSCONFIG while I try and figure this out. I have uninstalled my anti-virus. I have changed the boot.ini timeout to 3 seconds. I changed the prefetch number in the registry to "3" vive "4". I've defragged...etc etc...

I still get that long wait. I don't remember it taking so long. It's almost like it's trying to load something but .... I looked at the Windows Task Mgr, don't see anything strange.

I do have the little yellow icon in the tray saying I need to update. No matter how many times I run that update, the little yellow icon stays.

Any thoughts would help.

#95 ·

Hi Maynard, good luck with the FFR and don't forget to let us know how everything turns out. As for your laptop, tell me what is the processor speed on that laptop? Keep in mind that a computer can only go as fast as the processor will let it. For example if you were running a computer with let's say a pentium III or a 1 gig AMD athlon you could have the entire system completely clean and have 512 MB or a Gig of ram installed but it would still run slow because of the processor. I usually find this to be the case with laptops that are a little older. Now if your running a newer laptop with a fast processor and plenty of Ram then I would say you have a problem.

Let us know how you make out and don't forget about marking the thread solved when you are done with it buddy.

Thanks
Patmark

#96 ·

It's a 1.66 Ghz Pentium with 1 GB of Ram.

I understand what you mean about being old but, it was no where near this slow 2 weeks ago...

Like I said, after I hear the windows startup music, it's about 90 seconds before the icons are done loading with about 85 of those seconds being NOTHING HAPPENING.

#97 ·

Maynard try this with your laptop and see if this speeds it up a bit. Go to the security icon in the control panel and turn off the automatic updates completely. Check the box that says turn off updates (not recommended). Then reboot and see if that makes load and run faster and let me know.

I'm having a problem with my internet because of some changes I was required to make for my extra TVs to work correctly. It's all I can do to get here so if I don't respond for awhile thats why. I won't be back to normal until Saturday, stupid cable company lol.
I will however do my very best to check back in a little while to see if this suggestion helped at all.

Patmark

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.