Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Windows XP won't start after disk cleanup.

18K views 96 replies 4 participants last post by  patmark 
#1 ·
First off, appreciate what you guy do, if it weren't for the people that try and help, where would this world be???

My problem is as follows, I am not the most literate tech guy so be gentle, I'm typing on my laptop trying to fix my desktop.

Windows XP, was doing a "disk cleanup". Clicked on something that was supposed to regain some space... not sure exactly. When I returned, I see have of my desktop icons missing, no words on the desktop.... noting currently happening.

Attempted a reboot, received a screen that stated "windows couldn't start.....", missing or corrupt Hal.dll.

I searched all the forums, found some suggestions ,attempted all of them. Some seemed to work but not sure. My last attempt was following the path to the Recovery console, when I get to "which windows installation would you like to log onto...", I type 1 and hit enter. I was supposed to get a password request next. I don't. I got the C:\windows>.

I reboooted again, without attempting to boot from the CD. Received a new screen

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Reviewed following links, nothing work with these 3

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?hal.

Received some advise to try these
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000648.htm
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairbootini.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184

First one got to the scanning then returned a message of "Error! - Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations, The error may be caused by a corrupt file system which would prevent bootcfg from successful scanning. Scan using chkdsk to detect disk error.

I did that, initially said everything appeared ok, I forced to scan by adding the /p. No issues. Went on to the second and third help links... both ended the same spot. I did try the bootcfg /list - received There are currently no boot entries available to display.

Not at all familiar with anything relating to booting...

See less See more
#27 ·
Re: Windows XP won't start after disk cleanup.

hmmmmm, this is like trying to fix your computer with my eyes blind folded and my hands tied behind my back lol. Access denied huh? Well that stinks. Ok lets try this again then stop and post back what you see.

Type in dir D:\ and hit enter

Lets take this one command at a time and see if I can help you locate the files on the D drive. I know that youve done this already but I need to know what you see when you do it.

#28 ·

I see.....

The Volume in drive D is XP_HOME_SP2_ENG
The Volume Serial number is a541-9455

Directory of d:\

06/22/06 11:06a d-r----- 0 $0EM$
08/04/04 05:00 --R---- 110 AUTORUN.INF
06/22/06 0 DOCS
0 DOTNETFX
0 I386
34301 README.HTM
1324816 SETUP.EXE
85792 SETUPXP.HTM
0 SUPPORT
0 VALUEADD
10 WIN51
10 WIN51IC
10 WIN51IC.SP2

13 FILE(S) 1435049 bytes
0 bytes free

I stopped with the date, time and all of the -----r----"s after a couple.

#29 ·

Ok lets look in the i386 folder if I can remember how.

Type D:\I386 and hit enter

That should change the command prompt to read D:\I386 Then you should be able to type dir and hit enter to see whats in there.

#31 ·

Alright then lets try something else for a minute then.

Type C: and hit enter

leave the command prompt right where it is.

Take out the Windows disk and put in the disk you made that has the files we need on it.

type in copy D:\Halaacpi.dll C:windows\system32 and hit enter

If it copies the file from the disk to C: that way then leave it right there and post back that it did and I will tell you the rest of the files to copy.

If it copies and prompts that it wants to overwrite the file type y and hit enter so that it does.

Fingers crossed

#37 ·

Ok thats apparently not going to work as it needs the windows disk to run the repair console. It was worth a try. I'm about at my pain limit for tonight but I would like you to try one more thing tonight before I log off. Its worth a try to see if we can use that disk for the repair without data loss, I seriously doubt it will work but like I said its worth a try. This link will show you how to do it. Read the entire document before proceeding.

http://www.freenerd.net/index.php?title=How_to_repair_Windows_XP_without_data_loss

If that won't work I would suggest doing the fixmbr. and if that fails then it will be time to download linux live, burn it to CD, and use that to boot into a windows like enviroment so that you can drag and drop copy and paste the files.

That however will have to wait until the next time you are free to work on this. I am avaliable everyday starting at around 8AM EST. I'm disabled and am in sever pain all the time and the meds I am forced to take make me tire easily, that's the only reason I have to quit at this point. I apologise for that. But take the disk you have in out. Put the Windows disk back in power off the computer and restart it with the windows disk to perform this proceedure. Then follow the steps outlined in the link and post back the results. I figure this will take you about 1/2 hour to see if it will work or not, so I will check for your post then. Also let me know when you want to continue if that doesn't work ok buddy?

#38 ·

as is the norm, that didn't work.

After I hit F8 on the license agreement, I got a screen that showed the partitioning and where to set up XP.

The link says I should have gotten to a screen that has a "repair" option...

didn't get that

#39 ·

Ok buddy thats kind of what I figured would happen. The trouble is that the re-installation disk can't repair a newer version so it won't give you the repair option. Windows is such a pain sometimes. and of course nothing is ever easy with a computer. I will leave which option you want to go with to you. The fixmbr can be done from the repair console using that disk. Or I can contact Outcaste and have him post where to download either linux live or unbutu and how to use it. It will give you the option to install it or try it when you boot the computer with it. So you select try it and it will give you a windows like enviroment that may make it easier for you. Outcaste will have to guide you there as I have never used it myself. I really have to go for tonight but let me know how you would like to proceed and I will get started on it first thing in the morning. If you want to continue tonight with the fixmbr command when you get to the screen you were on before go ahead with it and let it do its thing. I'm sorry I couldn't get it working for you today but we will get it fixed.

Night
Patmark

#40 ·

I tried the fixmbr again.... made no new progress.

I am currently downloading Ubuntu, I plan on making a "Live CD" so I can boot from the disc... hopefully will be able to get the files off I want, transfer them to my external hard drive, save the drivers... and wipe the drive.

Please contact your friend, I won't do anything tonight except finish the download. I'll wait for further instructions.

Again.... a million thanks for your help and patience

#41 ·

I've tried some more...

I DL'd ubuntu, burned to disc, started with that disc, copied a hall.dll, a ntoskrnl, a ntkrnlpa files, transfered to the system 32 folder in bad machine.

Attempted a normal boot... said hal.dll missing.

went back to troubleshooting guide, you provided....was following How to fix the missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll error.... got further than I had before. Everything was going ok until I got to "Expand X:\i386\hal.dl_ C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll
Replace hal.dl_ with the appropriate file name from the above table, but change the last L to an underscore. Do NOT change hal.dll
Some OEM CDs have those files uncompressed. If you get an error that the file can't be found type this:
dir X:\i386\hal*.*
If the files are listed with a .dll extension instead of .dl_, use Copy instead of Expand, and use .dll"

That wouldn't work, was told I could not ???? with hal.dll.

I stopped

#42 ·

Good morning Maynard. Man I am so damn proud of you buddy. I don't swear very often on here lol but thats impressive. Now lets see why your having trouble. Matnard you didn't type the X did you? Where it says expand X:\I386 Ect the X is your CD drive or inm your case D: The other reason that it might not be working is because Outcaste typed it wrong when he posted these instructions. You know with that amount of info its bound to happen.

I will get a hold of Outcaste and have him check in on this thread and post some help for you. You almost there buddy, it won't be long now. Next time you post please let me know when you are able to be on here so I can meet up with you then.

Please remember to post back if you get it fixed on your own and mark this thread solved using the quick tools feature located at the top of this thread and selecting solved from the drop down menu.

Patmark

#44 ·

Ok buddy, You should be getting a post from TheOutcaste sometime today that I'm quite sure will clear everything up for you and show you how to proceed with fixing that stubborn old computer. So look for that. Again great job getting Unbutu on a disk and booting up with it. That's just awesome and you are now well on your way to get your computer up and running again.

#46 ·

now this is fun, all new to me. Thanks for your help. Here is the copy from boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="microsoft windows xp home" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

#49 ·

Very cool Maynard, sounds like your getting the hang of this stuff, lol. I'm very glad to see you catching on and learning your way around your computer. I'm not quite sure what OC's plan is at this point and he's going to be in and out today so at this point I'm going to hold off and see what he has in mind here because he's the expert at Unbutu. I'm thinking that if we can copy the files your system needs from the disk that you made with the .hal files on it into the System32 folder on your C Drive then the computer should boot right up. But like I said wait and see what OC thinks about that idea before you do it as he may have a better idea. I will be around though to make sure that you get it up and running. Thanks for being patient. Talk to you later.

Patmark

#51 ·

Nope we didn't Maynard. It's just that Outcaste has apperantly been very busy so he hasn't had a chance to respond yet but I'm quite sure he will very soon. You know how it is its the holiday season, LOL.

Do you still have the unzipped files that you used to make that disk maynard?
If so here's what I would do to make this as easy as possible. All the files that your computer need are there in that Zip file.

I would go to my laptop and plug in a thumb drive. (You can get one pretty much at any store for very cheap. You don't need a huge one).

Now click on my computer and you will see the thumb drive listed there. click on it to open it up and reduce it.

Now find the .hal files and drag and drop them on the desktop so this would be easier.

Now just drag and drop the files from the desktop to the thumb drive.

Now that you have the files on the thumb drive boot up the computer with the Unbutu disk to the unbutu desktop. Plug in the thumb drive now and it should show up on the desktop. You will also see your hard drive listed on the desktop. Open the hard drive and open C: then the windows folder then in there open the system32 folder. Now reduce that window so that you can see the desktop.

Now open the thumb drive icon and you will see your files that you want to copy.
Drag and drop these files to the system32 folder that you opened earlier.
Go ahead and copy all 7 or 8 files, as well as the associated files ntoskrnl.exe
ntkrnlp.exe If the computer asks you if you want to overwrite these files say yes.

Now that that's done, Close everything, take out the thumb drive, turn off the computer , remove the Unbutu disk, and reboot the computer. Provided that you did everything correctly the computer should boot up to Windows now.

Let us know, and please don't forget to mark this thread solved if that fixes your problem and your computer is working as normal.

Happy Holidays,
Patmark

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.