Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] windows update refuses to work

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] windows update refuses to work within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm working on a netbook and it says in the security center that automatic updates is off. I hit turn

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

I'm working on a netbook and it says in the security center that automatic updates is off. I hit turn on and it failed to do so but on the control panel under automatic updates, it said that they're on automatic. I went to the windows update website and after hitting custom, it immediately says it failed. I know there are 2 services that need to be running and I know one is BITS and it was on manual so I started it manually but that didn't help. I think the other is called automatic updates or windows update or something but there's no service by that name at all.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi see if any of the info here can help How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

aha, I eventually tracked it down with their list of suggestions
Old 04-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Glad to hear it is it now working

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new issues with an old XP machine. Is it a virus McAfee can't find and clean?
For the past 2 months something is not right with our home computer, and I don’t know what. I run McAfee, but the scan does not seem to run, takes days to finish and sometimes only says 1200 files scanned with no virus detected. When I run task manager says CPU usage is 100%. IE hangs up or...
tony_g Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 20 05-26-2011 08:01 AM
bad image error and norton 360
Hi, My initial problem was trying to get rid of the "Bad Image" error message that has been popping up on literally every file and folder on my PC (Windows XP). Situation has gone from bad to worse as i installed norton 360 5.0. Now nothing works, unable to connect to the internet, unable to...
royalmc Resolved HJT Threads 25 04-07-2011 07:36 AM
Bad Image error
Please help me to remove the problem that is causing the 'Bad Image' error. It appears multiple times when I start my computer and then everytime I open a program. I hope I have correctly run the logs you require. Details below. DDS (Ver_10-12-12.02) - NTFSx86 Run by Administrator at ...
lchiv Resolved HJT Threads 11 02-13-2011 06:44 PM
Plug and Play Causes Services to run 100%
About i week ago I booted my computer and noticed that it was running extremly slow. I opened task manager and found that services.exe was running up my CPU. After going through msconfig and using trial and error, i found that it wouldn't drive it up if i had Plug and Play unchecked. So my...
logicalman Resolved HJT Threads 46 02-09-2011 04:51 AM
Fooled by telephone trick - please help
I was fooled by someone calling me who pretended to be from Microsoft. :upset: Allowed him to remote control the PC, and he planted some trojan(s). :sigh: I did a System Restore to before the attack, ran virus checker, and spyware checker to clear what I could. :1angel: I would really...
dfreer Resolved HJT Threads 11 02-05-2011 06:06 PM