Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Windows Update Error Number 0x8024D007

131K views 35 replies 5 participants last post by  Basementgeek 
#1 ·
I am having problems connecting to Windows Update. Whenever I try to update the OS I get [Error number 0x8024D007] (See attached screenshot).

I have SP1 on my computer and I want to update to SP2 (I have heard there are still problems with SP3).

This computer was very infected and I received help on the Hijackthis Log Help forum. It is now "clean".

Here is the link to my thread on the HijackThis Log Help Forum:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/security-center/hijackthis-log-help/258992-uninstalling-malware-ie-hijacking.html#post1534002

IE: 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920

If someone could take a look at this I would appreciate it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Windows Update Error Number 0x8024D007

Hello nasirabd,

I suggest you try this workaround for Windows Update issues...

How to Repair the Windows Update Files.

1. Go Start > Run.
2. In the box type REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL > Enter.
3. A message saying, "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded" will appear > OK.
4. Now it is necessary to repeat these steps for each of the following files commands:
Hit Enter after each line

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

Once finished; since the temporary folder of Windows Update may be corrupted, please carry out the following steps to rename the folder:

1. Go Start > Run > in the box type cmd > Enter.

Type the following command in the open panel.

net stop WuAuServ

(Please Note: the computer may need to be rebooted before the net stop command will work.)

2. Go Start > Run > type in the box %windir% > Enter.
3. In the opened folder, rename the folder ( by Right clicking) SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
4. Go Start > Run > type in cmd > Enter. In the open command pane, please type:

net start WuAuServ

Once that’s done, Go Start > All Programs > Windows Updates and see if it will allow the downloading/installation of Windows Updates.

Post back with the results.

Kind Regards,

#6 · (Edited)

OK seeing that you have the 0x8024D007 error.
On the Windows Update site, there is a link for 'on-line' help (free when related to Windows Update), go there and you will be given a "patch" to fix this issue.

Post back with the result of your 'chat' with Microsoft Support.

Kind Regards,

#8 ·

Hello nasirabd,

One definite way to help resolve this issue would be for you to install Service Pack 2 on this machine.
Now considering you have Windows Update issues, you can download a standalone version of Service Pack 2 from here.

"Save" the download to your computer, rather than use the 'Open' or 'Run' options; this way you can then slipstream SP2 with your current SP1 CD, at a later date.

How to Slipstream Windows® XP SP2 and Create a Bootable CD. (This is a step-by-step Guide.)

Service Pack 2 contains many enhancements and 'fixes' that will solve your issue.

Post back with the outcome.

Kind regards,

#12 · (Edited)

Alright...try this please....

Right click the download Icon >Unblock > ok.
This should release the 'bar' that is on it because it had come from another computer/website.

Important: When installing SP2 disconnect from the Internet (remove the power cable from the modem); disable your Anti Virus and Anti Spyware programs.
Start the installation; once complete, you will have to reboot the computer.
During the reboot reconnect you Modem and allow the computer to boot up; this will restore the Internet connection.
You will probably need to revisit the Windows Update site for the updates for Service Pack 2 as well.

Good luck with it; post back with the results.

Regards,

#14 ·

Hi nasirsbd,

No you are not dense at all. :grin:
Sometimes when you download a file from the Internet, Windows® 'blocks' it from opening; I thought that this may be the case here.
Was there an "unblock" button in the Properties of the download?

#16 ·

Hi nasirabd,
Right click the Service Pack 2 Desktop Icon...that's where the 'unblock' button should be :4-dontkno

I'm now going to try a 'Long Shot' here, because I am not sure if sfc is active with SP1. (sfc is The Windows System File Checker.)

Let's give it a go anyway.... (Please Note: any reference made to SP2, will need to be substituted as SP1 in your case.)

Please try this workaround (you will need your Windows® XP SP2 CD.

(In the event that you do not have a Windows® XP CD with SP2, you will need to 'borrow' one from a friend or colleague, as the manufacturer's "Recovery Discs" will not work in this instance.)

Insert the Windows® XP CD in your drive. (Hold down the Shift Key to prevent it from starting.)

Go Start > Run ...in the box type in sfc /scannow …please take note of the space between the sfc and the /.

This is the System File Checker...it will scan all the Windows® core system files to ensure that they are in their respective correct places, and if not replace them from the CD.

During the scan you may be asked to Insert the CD, if this happens just go retry and let it do its thing.

One important point: While sfc is running, it is not advisable to do any other work, or have any browsers/programs running on the computer, until the scan is complete. (This process will generally take around 45-65 minutes to complete).

Once finished, remove the CD and reboot your machine...all should be "Normal" (hopefully). :grin:

Please post back with the results.

Kind Regards,

#17 ·

Success! Success! Success! :4-clap:
I was able to get SP2 to download and now I am downloading the updates to sp2. I am holding off on sp3 at this point due to all the issues it seems to be having.

Do you have any additional instructions for me?

#18 ·

Congratulations nasirabd!

That is great news!! I am sincerely pleased for you. :sayyes: :4-clap:

All that is left now, is for you to follow the instructions I gave in Post #8 about slipstreaming SP2.

Good Luck with it, and please let us know the outcome.

Kind Regards,

#19 ·

I have run into a problem. I was able to install all of the current windows updates (except sp3) and I also installed the Comodo Firewall along with Avast antivirus.

My friend who purchased this computer from a pawn shop asked me to rename it (which worked fine). I was going to create a profile for her, but decided to just rename the current one on the computer.

When I did a restart, the computer loaded the screen stating, "...windows did not start successfully recent hardware or software changes might have caused this"; I have the option to, start windows normally; use last know good config or all of the safe mode options.

Starting windows normally functions as expected until it gets to the black screen displaying Windows XP with the blue loading bar. The screen just goes blank (No keyboard, mouse response or display). I have to turn it off to get a response.

Starting windows in safe mode starts scrolling through the drivers it is loading and then it stops not matter what safe mode is used on:
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys"

I can boot into the Windows Recovery Console, but I have no idea what to do there.

Can you assist me with this or do I need to post this elsewhere?

#21 · (Edited)

Hi there nasirabd,

I am now becoming very suspicious that there might just be a Hardware issue here.
With that in mind, I would like you to please download Memtest 86+, and run it on all the sticks of RAM that are installed.
If there are two sticks of RAM installed, please run the test 3 times; once on each stick; then finally with both sticks installed.
This will determine if the RAM is faulty and causing this 'loop'.
(My wife's computer suffered the same fate today. I am now up for two new sticks of RAM for it! :laugh:)

In the event that the RAM does pass the Memtest 86+ test; then, you will need to go into the Recovery Console and run this command, to rebuild the boot file.

At the command prompt, please type in fixboot, and then press ENTER.
Follow the on screen instructions to complete the task.

Good Luck again with it!
Please report back with the results.

Kind Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.