Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] Why Are My Files and Folders Faded Out?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Why Are My Files and Folders Faded Out? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, A few days back, my computer became infected with a virus, and after finally being able to remove it,

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

A few days back, my computer became infected with a virus, and after finally being able to remove it, I find that the folder "My Documents" is faded out (which means that it is partially transparent) as well as the "Shared Documents." Moreover, all of my files in "My Documents" are simply gone, but when I go to "Recent History" (say, in Microsoft Word), the files are still there and alive and well. So what's going on here and what can be done about this?

Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

Sounds like the files were marked as hidden. You can right-click on one and select Properties to check the current file attribute settings.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

The Virus Hid all of your files. As JMPC said, right click Choose Properties and uncheck Hide. Also, go to C:\Documents and Settings\[username] and right click/Properties and uncheck Hide for Startup Programs, My Documents, Favorites and Desktop folders.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Registered Member

Problem fixed. Thanks a bunch to you guys!

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Malware, All folders look empty, can only access keyboard hotkeys
No access the the windows install disk, looking in my computer all my drives still have gigs used up but when clicked on they all appear empty, same with my start button list, and desktop. All blank. I can't uninstall limewire because I can't access it. Running only Avast! to the best of my...
Cephlapod Inactive Malware Help Topics 4 06-19-2011 06:26 AM
Flash and itunes not working
Hello, I've been having a few problems with my laptop and I don't know if they're related. First of all, I can't watch any flash videos. I've tried going to the settings manager but I can't click on "allow third party...." Secondly, my itunes is not working either. It used to work fine, but...
Nguyenay Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 15 04-27-2011 03:37 AM
Virus Deactivating my Firewall..
So i have a virus/malware which seems to disable my firewall.. (when i turn it back on it disables within a few seconds) It has also somehow overridden my administrator rights and i am unable to perform any tasks which require the user being an administrator.. I can't load any .exe or...
Griffhawk95 Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 2 04-17-2011 10:03 AM
Help! got "Windows Repair" Rogue virus now part of C: drive gone!
Wow, so I just recently got great help from Catbyte for the google re-direct virus and my computer was running great since that fix. I've been so much more careful with what I click on and for the most part have been using my Macbook to browse the internet while I either play online poker or...
JR50 Resolved HJT Threads 4 03-29-2011 06:59 PM
browser redirect malware - unable to remove
I have an ugly malware that no virus scanner will touch. Each time a click a link in a a search engine it redirects to a hark.com, that appears to be a gaming site. Help!
dnvncrd Resolved HJT Threads 16 03-20-2011 06:47 AM