Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] USB Ports and Media Card Reader will not work

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] USB Ports and Media Card Reader will not work within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My Gateway GT5228 has stopped recognizing my USB ports and my Digital Media Card Reader. The problem started about the

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

My Gateway GT5228 has stopped recognizing my USB ports and my Digital Media Card Reader. The problem started about the time my Symantac subscription was 1 month from expiration and somehow the virus protection was turned off (not by me). My guess is I received a virus as a result. But I cannot figure out how to resolve the problem. I'm using McAfee now, but cannot find any viruses on the computer after multiple scans. What can I do to restore the ports and the card reader? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

Hello jeff29963

Try reinstalling USB first

Make sure all USB devices are unplugged
Right click My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager
Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Right-click the device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers and then click Uninstall to remove it.

Repeat this with every entry under Universal Serial Bus controllers until they are all gone.

Reboot your system, and windows will detect the new hardware and re-install the drivers. Under normal circumstances, this should be enough to get your USB ports working again.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your help. I tried this and the USB ports reinstalled without a problem. However, they still are not recognized. I looked at the properties for each of the USB ports and each states the device is working properly. Can you offer any other advise? I looked for the Media Card reader in the device manager to try this same reinstall approach, but did not understand which device it is to remove prior to the reboot.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

do y ou have any other usb devices u can test on ur comp? does any USB device work?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

in the device manager click on view at the top and in the dropdown
show hidden devices
then uninstall all listed usb items
turn the computer off
unplug usb plugs
reboot twice
replug in the usb plugs
Old 08-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
Registered Member

I know its been a while since I started this thread, but I still need help. I disconnected all USB devices, unistalled them, and restarted the computer as directed twice. I still cannot get them to work. I see I am getting power to the USB ports as my HP Ipaq cradle has power to the light on the cradle, but the Ipaq is not recognized in the cradle. Nor is a simple USB jump drive recognized by the same USB port that indicates it has power or in any other USB port that shows power. The device manager says they are working properly and I think the computer recognizes them. Is it possible something is blocking them? How can I determine what it might be? Any other ideas? I have two ports on the front of the machine and four on the back. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to TimWies Send a message via AIM to TimWies Send a message via MSN to TimWies Send a message via Yahoo to TimWies

I am also having this problem on my Dell Dimension 9300 WinXP SP2 and all my USB ports(front and back) stopped responding to anything I plug into the ports.

I have done everything in this thread and thought I might bump it to see if anyone else has any ideas.

Thanks,
Tim

P.S. I am curious why this thread is marked [solved]???