Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] Unable to update/install Java

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Unable to update/install Java within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am having problems updating Java on Windows XP Home. I am getting an error when trying to install

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I am having problems updating Java on Windows XP Home. I am getting an error when trying to install the latest version saying something like "unable to download Java' "download failed"

I have no Java showing in add/remove programs to remove so I can reinstall. I have also run JavaRA to cleanup old versions of Java and am still unable to download/install.

I have tried to download the manual patcher and am still getting the same error.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 10-11-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
TSF-Emeritus

My System

Hello jamisz!

I had a similar problem with one of the machines I have at home. I also tried running JavaRA to clean up previous version of Java that might have been installed incorrectly, but to no avail. What worked for me was deleting the folder that had the JRE inside. It should be located in a similar directory as this:

Quote:
C:\Program Files\Java
Completely remove that folder, then remove the folder:

Quote:
C:\WINDOWS\Sun
After deleting these two files, empty your recycle bin and restart your system. Upon restarting, download the latest version of Java from this location:

Download Java for Windows Firefox

Installation should be smooth. Sorry if this is a bit simple and crude of a solution, but it worked for me, so it's worth a try. If by chance those two files that need to be removed are not there, it might have something to do with your registry.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I tried your steps above and recieved the same results. I was able to download javaxpinstall.exe (which I was able to do before) and when running it I recieved the same errors. Shown below.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp javaerrors.bmp (452.3 KB, 463 views)
Old 10-11-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
TSF-Emeritus

My System

You could try the manual offline installer.

http://www.java.com/winoffline_installer
Old 10-11-2011, 07:06 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks Ninja,

The manual offline installer worked. I tested on Java site and it is saying it is up to date.

However I am still having browser crashing issues (which I thought were caused by the bad Java).

Basically both of my IE and Firefox are crashing constantly. On the error report it is showing MSVCR90.DLL everytime?

Should I start a new thread?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
Registered Member

It seems that disabling AVG safesearch add-on fixed the browser crashing issue.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
TSF-Emeritus

My System

Thank you for posting the fix for your browser crash issue. Glad everything has been resolved.