Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Trillian "Error Code 0" with MSN connection

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  GoreyGirl 
#1 ·
I use Trillian to IM on AOL, Yahoo and MSN. Everything was working fine (and has been for years) until three days ago, when all of a sudden my MSN wouldn't connect. I get the "Error while connecting (Error Code 0) Disconnecting" message over and over. I've searched online and have tried all suggestions: Global disconnect and reconnect; deleting profile and reentering connection information; triple-checked address and password; entered the nslookup IP address instead of "messenger.hotmail.msn" under the server host setting; etc. etc. I am at wit's end! Can anyone help?

#3 ·
Re: Trillian "Error Code 0" with MSN connection

Welcome to TSF

hardwire please do not hijack this thread. I understand your issue may be the same but this is GoreyGirl's thread and she/he is the only one going to receive assistance. You may want to start your own thread or sit back and watch silently.

GoreyGirl, I think this is an issue with Trillian. Either try to reinstall the software or contact Trillian tech support. Can you access AOL, Yahoo and MSN without using Trillian?

#4 ·

After a thorough internet search, I (a user with the exact same issue as GoreyGirl was experiencing) found this blog entry done by one of the Cerulean Study developers:

Trillian and MSN news roundup…

Hello everyone,

There’s been alot of activity this week regarding Trillian’s connectivity to MSN and we wanted to take a moment to summarize. As of today, July 30th, all versions of Trillian are experiencing service outages when connecting to MSN.

Trillian 3.1 is using an older version of the MSN protocol. As of this week Microsoft has dropped support for this protocol. The quick fix is to upgrade to Trillian 4 (or the upcoming Trillian 5). Over the longer term, we will work on a patch for the Trillian 3 series. Once Trillian 5 is released we will begin phasing out support for 3, so please consider upgrading to 4 or 5 in the coming months.

As of this morning, Trillian 4 and all related mobile products are also having trouble connecting to MSN. This is not due to a protocol change, but rather a temporary server outage on Microsoft’s side. We are monitoring the issue and should the situation require us to patch Trillian we will do so. At present we’re experiencing the outage with both Trillian and the official WLM client, although due to various caching mechanisms there’s a chance you’d still be able to connect with either product for a limited period of time.

Update: MSN is slowly starting to work again for Trillian 4 and all mobile products. We expect things to be back to normal within 24 hours; if they are not, we will likely issue a workaround. Thanks for your patience!

Have a great weekend!

So I guess that answers the question. 3.x is being faded out, a fix is slowly being worked on but the issue will most likely persist unless one upgrades to Astra (=Trillian 4.x and 5).

#8 ·

This is super helpful information on a lot of levels--thanks to everyone for helping illuminate the situation! I'm certainly not a computer expert but it was driving me CRAZY that I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Guess it's time to upgrade Trillian...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.