Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] temporary internet files

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Dunedin 
#1 ·
What do set the amount of disc space to in my temporary internet files folder? My C-drive is 16.1GB and I have 8MB broadband.

I understand that this will help stop 'page will not be displayed' somewhat.

Thanks

Teddyboy

#2 ·
Re: temporary internet files

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

The Temporary Internet Files folder contains Web pages that are stored on your hard disk for quick viewing. You can delete them by going into Internet Explorer selecting Tools (top right) then Internet Options on the drop down menu.

Also, you can choose the amount of disk space to use for these files. Click Settings on the General tab of the Internet Options dialog box.

Good Luck to you.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

#3 ·

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

The Temporary Internet Files folder contains Web pages that are stored on your hard disk for quick viewing. You can delete them by going into Internet Explorer selecting Tools (top right) then Internet Options on the drop down menu.

Also, you can choose the amount of disk space to use for these files. Click Settings on the General tab of the Internet Options dialog box.

Good Luck to you.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Thanks for your reply. What would you recommend I set the amount of disc space usage to so as to prevent 'Page not Displayed' being shown so frequently?

#5 ·

teddyboy :smile:

You have broadband so set it to 50MB

Not so sure it will help that error message though
Thanks, I have done as you suggested. The reason being is that I was told that IE could not handle the cache size with lots of temp int files and cookies, hence the 'page cannot be displayed'.So I have emptied my cookies and temp int files and now I can give IE more space.

Hope I make sense,

teddyboy.

#6 ·

Empty your IE cache as well

1.Open an Explorer folder window (for example, double-click My Computer). From the Explorer menu select Tools/Folder Options/View. Make sure that you have checked the box next to "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".

2.Start Internet Explorer and click Tools/Internet Options/General tab/Settings/View Files.

3.If you have SP1,IE should have opened up a folder window, typically viewing a folder with the name of C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files.

If you have SP2 the folder will be"C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\"
Put your cursor in the Address area of the folder window and add the name \content.ie5 to the name, so in our example the Address bar would now read c:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\content.ie5. (For SP1)

4.You should see a series of four folders with random eight-character names like ADOZMZS1. Go into each folder and delete all the files they contain. Do not delete the folders.

5.If desired, reset the folder options you changed in step 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.