Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] System Restore won't enable (Win XP SP3)

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] System Restore won't enable (Win XP SP3) within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey everyone, got a bit of a problem after reinstalling XP SP3, System Restore refuses to enable. Here's what I've

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey everyone, got a bit of a problem after reinstalling XP SP3, System Restore refuses to enable. Here's what I've tried to correct it so far but with no luck:

The typical opening System Restore from the System Tools folder. Gives the following error: http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...temRestore.png (Which of course, restarting the computer doesn't work)

Going to System Properties, there's no System Restore tab to change any settings: http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...mRestore-1.png

Trying through the Command Prompt by typing "%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" (This simply prompts the same error dialog from the first attempt/screenshot)

Here's what the registry looks like for the following path:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Sr
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...mRestore-2.png

Here's what the registry looks like for the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Srservice
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...mRestore-3.png

Here's what the registry looks like for the following path:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...mRestore-4.png
"Turn off System Restore" is disabled in the Group Policy section.

Any other ideas out there?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I would be inclined to try a repair with the windows cd. Or maybe try sfc /scannow first.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate X64 and x86 SP1 & Windows XP Pro SP3

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to TheGift73

Also check in Services to what 'Volume Shadow Copy' is set to.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

auntiej: No go with the repair I'm afraid. This is the second time this has happened (When I reinstalled XP last time) I never got it fixed. Ended up reinstalling XP again and having the same issue. Also, I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to with your edit ("Or maybe try sfc /scannow first", can you clarify?)

TheGift73: Sorry, I'm a little lost on that as well, mind telling me how to get there please? ^^;; Sorry, I'm not as tech savvy as people make me out to be XD
Old 04-14-2011, 01:58 AM   #5
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

System File checker: sfc/ scanow

**Note: You will need A Windows XP CD for this exercise**
  • Please insert the Windows XP CD into your CD/DVD drive.
  • Click Start, then Run
  • Copy and paste the command below into the text box (with out the quotation marks)
    sfc /scannow
  • Click Ok
  • During the scan you may be asked to Insert the A Windows XP CD, if this happens just click retry and let it do its thing.

Please post back with the results.

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Old 04-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate X64 and x86 SP1 & Windows XP Pro SP3

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to TheGift73

With regards the Volume Shadow Copy, do this:

Right click on My Computer and select 'Manage'. In the next window, double click on Services and Applications and then double click on Services. Scroll down to 'Volume Shadow Copy'. Double click on that to open the properties box for it and in the drop down menu next to 'Startup Type' set it to 'Automatic' and press Apply, then press the Start button and OK.

Make sure you also do as Go The Power advised by running the sfc /scannow in the post above this one
Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
Registered Member

Go The Power: Hmm, it literally does nothing. I've inserted the CD, ran the command, but I get no pop ups, no confirmations, not even the hourglass like it's trying to process anything.

TheGift73: Alright, that's been done. But I'm still unable to use System Restore (I'm receiving the same error as the first screenshot when I try and open it, and there's no system restore tab on system properties still either). I restarted the computer and tried the same steps but no change either I'm afraid. After restarting the computer, I made sure everything was still set right with the "Volume Shadow Copy" (In case somehow the settings got reversed, but they didn't).
Old 04-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

When you enter in the command did you type it in or copy and paste?

It needs to be exactly like this:

Code:
sfc /scannow
Is this XP home or Pro?

Do you have another account you can try on the computer to see if the same thing happens.

“You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love.” ~ Jim Carrey (Ceremony speech)
Old 04-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
Registered Member

I first tried copying/pasting, but when it didn't do anything I then typed it out manually. This is XP Pro, and this is the only account setup on the computer.

I may have a feeling this copy of Windows may not be legit, which could be where all my issues are coming from. I received this computer back from my parents that bought it forever ago for me. We bought it from the store together and in January (2011) I decided to reinstall XP on it (It originally came with Win XP SP2 Media Center on this computer), but at the time I couldn't find any of the paperwork/disks this computer came with. A friend then told me he had a copy of Windows XP that he hasn't used and provided it to me to reinstall my OS with. The CD is just a copied CD, which is the first things that threw up red flags but I went along with it anyway since he told me it should be fine (That's what I get for listening to friends I guess).

So... under the assumption I have a fake version of Windows with a useless product key (Which when I reinstalled the OS with the disk he gave me, it never prompted for the key so I don't even know what it is), I'd like to try and get my version of Win XP SP2 Media Center back on here and simply upgrade it to Win XP SP3 if possible via a legit update through Microsoft if that's still available. The only disks that I have however, are 3 CDs that that are labeled "HP m7640n Recovery 1/3", "HP m7640n Recovery 2/3", "HP m7640n Recovery 3/3" (Which the guys in the Store we bought the computer from gave us instead of the originally Win XP disk I'm guessing since I can't find anything like just one CD for Win XP in everything I have for the computer). The product key that was used to install Win XP SP2 Media Center is located on the side of my computer tower still so I can attempt to use that.

Will the 3 recovery disks do what I'm wanting here? (Which is to completely wipe this computer clean, start over with Win XP SP2 and then upgrade to SP3 if possible)

Also, is there someway I can tell if the product key located on my computer tower is still legit? If the store gave us copies of the HP Recovery Disk instead of giving us the real CDs, there's no telling if they wrote the product key down and handed it out as well.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

To see if it is a legit version of XP, please do the following:

Download an run the tool:

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&so...fDkoyf9nzmkx7w

Then post back the log.

Are the recovery discs for Win Media center?

Old 04-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
-----------------------------------------
Windows Validation Data-->
Validation Status: Blocked VLK
Validation Code: 3
Cached Validation Code: N/A
Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J
Windows Product Key Hash: Ro/Y7HENE9CfW7lW+QtlNbYQEE8=
Windows Product ID: 76487-640-8365391-23907
Windows Product ID Type: 1
Windows License Type: Volume
Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
ID: {BFAA31CB-1AE8-401F-90A7-6DD3AD8F8E26}(1)
Is Admin: Yes
TestCab: 0x0
LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
Product Name: N/A
Architecture: N/A
Build lab: N/A
TTS Error: N/A
Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
ThreatID(s): N/A
Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
File Exists: No
Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
Office Status: 109 N/A
OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
Proxy settings: N/A
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
Default Browser: D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
Active scripting: Allowed
Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
File Mismatch: D:\WINDOWS\system32\syssetup.dll[5.1.2600.5508], Hr = 0x800b0100

Other data-->
Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{BFAA31CB-1AE8-401F-90A7-6DD3AD8F8E26}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VPK3J</PKey><PID>76487-640-8365391-23907</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-823518204-1078081533-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>HP Pavilion 061</Manufacturer><Model>RF243AA-ABA m7640n</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version> 3.07</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20060802000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>65CB31FF0184C076</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Licensing Data-->
N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
N/A

HWID Data-->
N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
BIOS string matches: yes
Marker string from BIOS: 1E0D3:Compaq Computer Corporation|1E0D3:Compaq Computer Corporation|1E0D3:Hewlett-Packard Company|1005F:Hewlett-Packard Company
Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
N/A
Hmm, blocked VLK in red doesn't look good >.<

And God I hope they are, they're the ones we walked out of the store with but I've never had to used them.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Yea Validation Status: Blocked VLK is not good.

Have a look on the discs does it say what version it is?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
Registered Member

The only thing labeled on the disks are "HP m7640n Recovery 1/3", "HP m7640n Recovery 2/3", "HP m7640n Recovery 3/3". These were the CDs the store left us with when we purchased the computer.

Keep in mind, these CDs are burned CDs, not the originals. Makes no sense why the store didn't leave us the original recovery CD(s).
Old 04-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

As the discs are burned your going to have to purchase an original copy of XP, back up all your data, reformat your hard drive, the reinstall Windows.

I would also recommend talking to the computer shop about it. Then report them to Microsoft.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #15
Registered Member

This was a major retail store that did this but I'll at least shoot them an email with the limited information I have about the incident. Thanks for all the help Go The Power!
Old 04-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #16
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

No worries glad to have helped.

Here is a link on a guide to re-installing Windows:

Tech Handbook - A Guide to Installing Window® XP

Old 04-16-2011, 04:10 AM   #17
Registered Member

Thanks for the link! Quick question if you didn't mind: If I were attempt to try and install Win XP with the burned CDs I currently have, how would I go about doing it since they're it's with three separate CDs instead of the normal one CD used to recover XP?
Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #18
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

Sorry we cant actually help with that as it goes against the forum rules:

Quote:
ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES
Users may not post hacks, cracks, or give instruction how to pirate any type of software, or anything similar, in any forum of TSF. We do not condone, support or give instruction on any illegal activity pertaining to computer systems, computer hardware, computer software programs or computer related activities. Included in this group of activities are requests for help to circumvent system admin passwords or Administrator settings on networks. We do understand that the majority of requests may be legitimate, but we do not have the means to discern these from non-legitimate requests.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ork&page=rules

Old 04-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
Registered Member

Ah, understandable ^^; That's again for everything you all have done so far though!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:18 AM   #20
Team Manager
-Microsoft Support
-Home Support

No worries.

Glad to have helped.

Closed Thread