Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] STOP Error: 0xc0000007E - Cannot reinstall

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] STOP Error: 0xc0000007E - Cannot reinstall within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, Got a colleague who's laptop (Dell Latitude 620) failed to boot up. starts up, brings up Dell logo on

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Vista,XP, Windows 7, Server 2003, Server 2008 R2 and Linux.

Hi,

Got a colleague who's laptop (Dell Latitude 620) failed to boot up. starts up, brings up Dell logo on screen and then a black screen.

Cannot start in safe mode, cannot use last known good configuration - the same thing happens in both cases.

Ran a memory test, results ok, reset the memory, try different memory nothing. I thought if i can use recovery console maybe i can salvage something but i get the BSOD with pci.sys listed during windows xp cd boot and doesnt proceed.

I have managed to get data off using ERD Commander 2003 but even this crashed when browsing the hard-disk on many occassions. Is my assumption correct that the hard-drive has failed?

Anything i can do to try and bring this baby back to life? As everything i have tried has failed.

Thanks
Maz

Old 01-06-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team

OS: Windows 7 Pro, Fedora-20. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Run the hard drive manufacturers disk diagnostics, see what that comes up with. I just cleaned a laptop recently with a nasty rootkit, no safe mode, no recovery mode, different BSOD every time I tried to boot into windows. ended up doing a nuke & pave on the drive.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yes i have been runnning that and it has finished comes up Ok!!!

Hard-drive in another laptop same error as well but diagnostics says hard-drive is ok. Weird.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:48 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

hi maz, yes there could well be a problem with the hard drive, though you were correct to try a memory test. What type of xp cd were you using, was it a recovery cd or the full xp cd? I think using the attached you could download recovery console and burn the .iso to cd: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso.

The attached is a worth a read also: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

edit: sorry, slowly typing this as previous post went in!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

I have tried to install windows xp pro edition from 4 different disks, incase the disk was faulty. I will try your link and see how it goes. shouldnt be long.

Edit: The file listed in the microsoft support site is WUSB54GCx86.sys , the file showing up on my BSOD is pci.sys and i have already been through that doc but thank you.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:58 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Hi Maz, I hope all is well with you and yours my friend. The first thing I would do in your situation is to make a couple of disks. The first one I would make would be the diagnostic from the hard drive manufacturer to test the hard drive with. That has to be the first step here as fixing or re-installing windows will do us no good at all if its simply a bad hard drive right?

Once you have ruled out the hard drive being bad the next disk I would make would be a Unbutu CD. This CD should allow you to boot the computer to a GUI interface so that you can get any files you want off the hard drive. Heres a link for Unbutu:

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

The next disk I would make would be killdisk, this will allow you to completely wipe the hard drive to a perfectly clean state. Heres a link for it: Scroll down this page for the ISO. The second link is for an ISO burner in case you need one.

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

http://download.cnet.com/Active-ISO-...-10602452.html

I assume that you have a full install XP disk. I 'm sure you know the rest at this point.

I will continue to monitor this thread until you have resolved this issue. Please let me know if I can help further. Also please mark this thread solved when your computer is working correctly so that others may benifit from this thread in the future.

Thanks
Patmark

Sometimes its the simplist solution that fixes the problem.

Keep it simple stupid.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:06 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for your post patmark I have already done the hard-drive diagnostics test - comes up with no error and test successful. Already got all the files back using ERD Commander 2003.

auntiej - tried your iso for recovery console, got the BSOD while it was loading.

Patmark - i will try your killdisk while i am at it.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus

Sorry for the double post to late to edit the other one lol. I just wanted to let everyone know that when I started to respond to this thread it was showing 0 replies. I didn't see the other responses until I posted my reply. I would never post over another tech on purpose lol. I hope everyone is well and doing good and I hope you all have had a wonderful holiday season. Take care everyone and Maz just let me know if I can help you further with anything.

Patmark

Keep it simple stupid.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #9
Registered Member

Tried kill-disk. Try to reinstall BSOD again..i think i can say the hard-drive is gone now....
Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus

Well Maz, its a good bet lol. However it could be alot of different things, Video card, processor going, ect. Since you ran the manufacturers diags on the hard drive and it checked out fine its kind of hard to say at this point.

Let me ask you this. Do you have the CD rom set as the first boot device? The reason I ask is that because if the problem is related to windows software it might cause a BSOD to occure if the hard drive is booting first.

Can you see the exact error code when it blue screens? If so post the entire code for me so that I can research it a little and see if I can find the exact problem. I'll check back in just a bit.

Patmark

Keep it simple stupid.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #11
Registered Member

Yes it could..from google it seems like memory but i have already done the tests.

Cd-Rom is indeed set as the first Bootup option (hard-drive is 3rd) the entire error message is:

A problem has been detected bla bla bla bla bla.

Tech Info:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08)
pci.sys - Address F748E0BF base at F7487000, DateStamp 3b7d855c

Phew got it right after a couple of errors lol. Thanks Alot

Maz
Old 01-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #12
TSF Team Emeritus

Ok buddy let me research this a bit before you go out and buy a new hard drive. I have to log off for awhile as there is a really bad thunderstorm going on right now and I just can't take a chance. But as soon as its over I will look into and get back to you. Talk to you soon.

Patmark

Keep it simple stupid.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #13
Registered Member

Really appreciate it buddy thanks. I am looking into it as well see if i am missing something somewhere.

Cheers
Maz
Old 01-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #14
TSF Team Emeritus

Hi Maz well buddy I made it through the storm lol. Heres something interesting about this error code. It appears to happen because of the XP disk itself at least in these peoples case. Some of them were able to slipstream SP2 into the XP disk and it worked for them. The other thing that I see that someone did was after slipstreaming SP2 into the disk instead of doing the install they first used the repair console to run chkdsk /r and were successful that way. Here is the link I found with some things that others have tried. Be sure to read the entire thread.

http://forums.windrivers.com/archive...p/t-63219.html

Since I'm not sure which version of XP pro your disk is, SP1,2, or 3 I thought I would let you take a look at it. If you need any help with the slipstreaming just say the word, its really not as hard as it looks LOL. So you check that out and let me know what your doing , meanwhile I will keep looking for awhile while I'm waiting to hear from you.

Patmark

I forgot to ask you if the Killdisk was able to wipe the hard drive. Was it?

Keep it simple stupid.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:29 AM   #15
Registered Member

Killdisk wiped the hard-disk.

Yesterday while i was at it, i found windows xp discs with sp1, sp2 and sp3 in our it room. Then tried to reinstalled same error message again for all three disks but all three worked on a test laptop no problem.

Since i already have 3 versions of windows xp with different service packs is it worth doing the slipstreaming? Is this different in any form?

Thanks
Maz
Old 01-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #16
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

are the sp separate disks or windows with the sp

if they are the latter they are already slipstreamed

try booting from a linux disk if successful see if linux installs
Old 01-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #17
TSF Team Emeritus

No if the disks won't work on a completely clean hard drive, and you said that you were able to complete the killdisk program? correct something else is wrong here. Now it could be hardware remember I told you there are alot of hardware devices that could be causing this.

That said, something tells me that the problem that you are having is with the XP disks that you are trying to use. The reason that I say that is because if killdisk was able to boot up the computer and do an entire pass to wipe the hard drive your hardware has to be working correctly. Processor, Hard drive, CD rom, Video card, ect. Follow me?

That only leaves the XP disks at this point because we have a clean hard drive so it can't be Windows anymore, and the hardware seems fine. Alright thats my theroy, now what to do about it?

Let's do this. I think Dai has a great idea here but lets use Unbutu as its a bit easier to use and you don't have to install it necesarily to use it if you don't want to. This involves making another disk lol are you up to it? LOL heres the link again:

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

The only other thing I can think of that we haven't checked on is the state of the Bios/setup. I mean are you using like a SATA hard drive or something and its not set right in there?

FOR DAI: We've tested the hard drive and the memory, do you think it could still be hardware related? I mean is there any piece of hardware I'm missing that could cause this? I could really use a second opinion here as to whether my theroy of it being the XP disks themselves. Thanks

Mark

Keep it simple stupid.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #18
Registered Member

OS: Windows 7 Pro - X64, Mac OS Snow Leoperd, win 98, 2000, MS-DOS 6.22, Win 3.1

My System

Send a message via MSN to marco23p

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
are the sp separate disks or windows with the sp

if they are the latter they are already slipstreamed

try booting from a linux disk if successful see if linux installs
I always try this before I install windows on a computer I just built.

Just use ubuntu, the thing about windows is that it gives you so many error for no reason. I always try ubuntu because its simple and if there is something wrong I know that its not windows.

I had a similar problem where I kept getting bsod's so I booted into ubuntu and after an hour of using ubuntu I never had a problem...

Well my problem was that I forgot to update my nvidia driver on windows..................

*epic face palm so hard that it leaves a mark..... ouch*

any way mess with ubuntu for an hour, try to stress it out. If it works good then you're cd is fubar'd

I would tell you what fubar'd means but I want to keep this forum PG :)
Old 01-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #19
Registered Member

Ok xp discs already have sp on them so i think that they are already slipstreamed.

I already haa ubuntu disc as i created it the first time you suggested it patmark and no ubuntu doesnt install either. Same error message and crashes.

Laptop is not on sata hard-drive its the old ide connection so its not bios. I tried system restore from ERD commander but even this failed.

It cannot be the xp discs as i have tried 4 of them and they all work on different laptops/desktops.

I am out of ideas now.

Maz.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #20
TSF Team Emeritus

Maz, I know that you have tested and tried other Ram, however I was having a similar problem with my sons computer recently. After pulling my hair out the problem ended up being not the stick of Ram itself but the plug on the motherboard. Now This particular computer had 4 sticks of Ram installed in it 1Gig each in 4 ports. I pulled out 1 stick at a time and tried to boot after I removed that stick. Of course it was the last darn stick I got to that solved the problem, It never can be the first one LOL. Anyhow when I removed the last stick the computer booted right up. So his computer is running on 3 gigs of Ram now instead of 4 because I didn't feel like changing out the motherboard LOL. I'm not sure how many sticks of Ram your system has in it but if it has multiple sticks in it you might try that to see if thats the problem.

If not I am going to have to let the hardware guys show you how to test out your motherboard voltages to see if perhaps the Mobo itself is going bad. The fact that the system ran killdisk just fine is still bothering me however I'm kind of at a loss and I'm beginning to suspect hardware as the culprit at this point. Please let me know if that idea worked and how you would like to proceed.

I will stay with you as long as it takes to resolve this issue buddy.

Patmark

Keep it simple stupid.
Closed Thread