Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] Sound doesn't work after system restore

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Sound doesn't work after system restore within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there. Recently I restored my computer. I was able to get almost everything back to working order except for

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

Hi there. Recently I restored my computer. I was able to get almost everything back to working order except for the sound which refuses to work. Using Everest, I was able to find out that my audio adapter is Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 audio controller and my motherboard name is Intel La Crosse D865GLC. I tried downloading this driver: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...ional&lang=eng but every time that I try to install it it says "Driver not found! Reboot your system, and run this setup again." I rebooted my system but when I tried to run the setup again, I got the same error. Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #2

Why did you run the System Restore? Some malware pretends to be drivers in order to protect itself from detection & deletion.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

I ran the system restore because the computer wouldn't boot up properly. Every time we attempted to turn it on it would just go to a black screen with a flashing white dash in the top left corner.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Make sure the audio didn't get disabled in the system bios.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Did you install the chipset driver?

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheaney14
;"Driver not found! Reboot your system, and run this setup again." I rebooted my system but when I tried to run the setup again, I got the same error. Any help with this issue would be appreciated.
Googled the text of the error. I looks pretty common to Intel chipsets with SoundMax audio. There's a solution in this thread:

audio drivers not found?! - TechSpot OpenBoards
Old 07-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxyman View Post
Googled the text of the error. I looks pretty common to Intel chipsets with SoundMax audio. There's a solution in this thread:

audio drivers not found?! - TechSpot OpenBoards
So, I took a look at this forum post and saw the 9 step guide by grendyll and I was almost able to get it to work. That is, until step 9. I found the smwdmCH0.inf file but after I selected it, the setup would not proceed any further. It didn't show any SoundMax stuff that needed to be installed.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Run the Intel driver update utility on that computer.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #9

Okay well lets take a couple steps backwards and think about why the software may be failing. Here's a list of General Things to Do:

1) Run chkdsk. Note if it finds and fixes and hard driver errors.
2) Remove any unnecessary hardware during troubleshooting, particularly USB devices.
3) Run an online scan at either TrendMicro, Eset or both. Report results.
4) Check Device Manager. Click "show hidden devices" and report any flagged devices.
5) Check Event Viewer. Report any chronic and/or significant errors that may give us a hint as to what is going on.
6) Use Start>Run(type)"msconfig" and turn off all non-MS Services and all Startups during troubleshooting.

7) Answer these questions:
A. What anti-virus softwares are you running?
B. Are you running any software that may "protect" the registry from "unauthorized changes", such as Spybot's "TeaTimer" or Zone Alarm?
C. Do you use Registry Cleaners, or any other hoaxware that promises to "optimize" the registry etc.... The kind of software promise to do something that sounds good, but is probably nothing but empty marketing?

Several of these questions/suggestions are aimed at the possiblity that the normal Sound Driver installation software process is being interupted, by "something". Malware, HD errors, other software, "registry cleaners" and who-knows-what. There's a lot of crap out there, and it causes a lot of problems because people believe in it, and the tooth fairy, and Santa Claus.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
Registered Member

Hey again, I looked over that nine step guide again, and it worked! I guess I must have missed a step or something to that effect. Thank you to everyone who took the time to try and help me and thank you Proxyman for finding the solution.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #11

Excellent work. Glad you got it sorted out. Please mark your thread as "Solved" by using the "Thread Tools" at the top of the page.