Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] "Setup is starting windows" blue screen error

31K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  huntermaclean 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
i have a dell xps 400 that i needed to format i got it off a friend and i have a windows service pack 3 disk and when i boot the cd up i get to the screen that shows all the drivers being installed and when it gets to "setup is starting
windows" i get this blue screen error.......

***stop: 0x0000007b (0XF7CAF524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

any help would bve much appreciated i am hopeing to get this pc running

#3 ·
Re: "Setup is starting windows" blue screen error

Dell XPS 400

Spike2me is correct, the problem comes from the hard drive being a SATA drive. Look for some setting to set the drive controller mode to IDE or ATA instead of SATA, or to disable AHCI or native command queuing.

If you can't find that setting then you'll need the sata drivers (here for your 945P chipset). If you have a floppy drive unzip the file and put them on a floppy. Boot on the XP CD and when you see a message at the bottom of the screen prompting you to press F6 for the SATA/RAID drivers insert the floppy and press F6. Else you'll need to slipstream those drivers on the XP CD, follow this guide : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...d-disk-drives-during-windows-xp-installation/

#4 ·
Re: "Setup is starting windows" blue screen error

ok the bios finds the SATA drives just fine and the SATA operation in the bios is set to RAID auto detect/ AHCI and i used some other programs to wipe the hard drive with "ultimate boot cd" and then tried but got the same error (thank you for the link after reading it i think i might be able to fix the problem) im kind of exited to make a custom xp install cd lol.....ALSO Ive formatted this machine before and never had this problem im curious as to why its happening out of the blue like this???

#5 ·
Re: "Setup is starting windows" blue screen error**UPDATE**

:heartlove:heartlove:heartlove the custom cd with the drives worked perfect im going thru windows xp setup right now thank you very much a appreciate the help a ton thanks agian :heartlove:heartlove:heartlove

#6 ·
Re: [SOLVED] "Setup is starting windows" blue screen error

Glad I could help.

the SATA operation in the bios is set to RAID auto detect/ AHCI
This is the setting you should have changed, if it can be set on ATA or IDE then the hard drive will be recognized by a regular XP CD. You can set the setting back to SATA once XP is installed. But all is fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.