Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] screen size settings locked up too large to be able to change it

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] screen size settings locked up too large to be able to change it within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. my dell laptop with microsoft windows xp has had the screen settings in the diplay mode locked up too large

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

my dell laptop with microsoft windows xp has had the screen settings in the diplay mode locked up too large to be able to get to the resolution bar reset to a higher resolution so that i can work with my programs. I can move the program up or down just enough to see the two monitors but not any lower. I'v gone into the safe mode to try and change the resolution settings but this has not worked and i have tried to reset the computer in safe mode to an earlier date when it was working ok but upon retart the curser andhour glass is as large as my thumb.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Are you able to reach your display settings?

Old 11-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
Registered Member

yes, but only in the safe mode--otherwise the screen resolution is so large that the setup tab cannot acess it.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

We can do this with the keyboard.

I need you to follow these instruction "precisely":

Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete > hit the Alt key > hit the down arrow key once > Enter > type in desk.cpl > hit Enter> hit the Tab key FOUR times > hit the right arrow key FOUR times > hit Tab Once > hit the right arrow key about five times > then hit ENTER
Old 11-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

I left out hit Enter after "type in desk.cpl", I just fixed it, sorry about that.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

any luck?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

that worked for a moment. I was able to reset the the settings button for a much higher resolution and save the settings. but then when i restarted the computer everything was fine for about 15 sec after the icons came-then the screen went black and the big cursers and icons replaced the small ones again. something else i notice was that my norton 360 was shut off. I was able to log onto it and run the program which had six things to fix. I do not know if that will help restore my acess to the orginal settings or not but figured it was worth a try.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:22 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Do it again, then restart in safe mode. We need to determine what's causing it to reset.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
Registered Member

Grin

OK, i will try it again. I did try it again and this time it worked!!!!! I also shut it down and restarted it and it came back with the right resolution settings!!!!! Thank you so much. I also ran my antivirus software to se if there was something that got into my computer and it now says that the computer is clean!!!!! Thanks again, Sincerely rich l