Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Safe Mode Works but not Normal Mode?

27K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Doby 
#1 ·
Here's the situation: my daughter and I open her computer to clean it and have a look at the video card. We pull the card blow out the dust and reinsert it. We also pull one of two memory cards (to see what's in there) blow out the dust and reset that.

Now hit start button: Windows begins to boot, it finds the drives, then we see the Windows screen - the three bars dance across their track - but we get a black screen that says: Sorry, We apologize Windows failed to start. There may have been hardware or software changes blah blah blah...then it asks if I want to start in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, or Normal Mode.

Safe Mode works just fine. No issues using any hardware or software.

But if I try to start normally, it quickly tries to reboot, shutting down the video output (the monitor goes into no signal - energy saving mode) then the process start a new.

We made no changes! We opened it back up and made sure all the cables and connections were secure. But no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks
yustr and baby yustr

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Safe Mode Works but not Normal Mode?

Rollback the video drivers and install the latest versions.

Start safe mode: Right click my computer>manage>device manager

Please indicate any errors that appear as a yellow exclamation mark or a red "X"

#4 ·

Sometimes its better to be lucky than good. Taking t-mpg's advice I uninstalled the video drivers in Device Manager. I went to install them when I noticed oops I don't have the disk! What to do? I know; I'll go on line to ATI and download them. But wait, I'm in Safe Mode w/o Networking so no internet. No problem - I'll just reboot into Safe Mode w/ Networking. Shut down, start up --- hey what's going on here? Windows is seeing new hardware. Could it be? Yup, no pause in start up. No warning message. Just a few minutes of waiting and all is back to normal.

Don't ask me what or how but it's fixed. :4-dontkno

Consider this one closed.

#5 ·

Damn I'm good. Accidentally solved. By the way to tag this as closed, go to thread tools, and something about solved is in there.

#6 ·

Ain't it great when we get lucky, anyway glad you got it fixed, now explain to your daughter how you did this ,that and the other thing figured it out, like it was no big deal. I pull that on my wife all the time:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.