Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] Profile Storage Space exceeded...

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Profile Storage Space exceeded... within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay, before getting into it, I want to warn you all that I'm fairly ignorant about the computer and only

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

Okay, before getting into it, I want to warn you all that I'm fairly ignorant about the computer and only know the absolute basics.

My computer was moving very slowly beginning yesterday. I thought it was a viral infection, but after running several scans and looking through my files and processes, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Then I noticed that my computer was barely using any CPU and was running mainly on memory, and I'm pretty sure this used to be the other way around.

Not knowing if this was normal or if this was the cause for my computer's lag, I launched a sytem restore, but it didn't change anything. Then I ran a Windows Repair. The situation between the CPU and memory usage is still the same, but now my computer is running at its normal speed. But now I see a red circle with a white 'X' in my toolbar. When I hover my mouse over it, I get this message:

Warning! You have exceeded your profile space by 863188 KB

And when I double click on it, this thing appears:

My computer still has 25 GB worth in free space, so I don't understand what this means. Also, I only have 13 files/icons on my desktop. What can I do to fix this?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to armedgill Send a message via Skype™ to armedgill

If you exceed your profile space, a list of the files in your profile is displayed when you try and log out. You can also see them by double-clicking on the profile icon in the system tray (at the bottom right of the screen).

1. Delete any files you have saved on your desktop
If you save a file on the desktop, it goes into your profile, so you should save it somewhere else and delete it from your desktop. If you want to access your files from any computer, you should store them in your Personal File Store, not on your desktop.

2. Delete large files from Application Data
You need to delete any large files shown at the top of the list prefaced with Application Data.

Hope this Helps

Old 05-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290324
Old 05-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armedgill View Post
If you exceed your profile space, a list of the files in your profile is displayed when you try and log out. You can also see them by double-clicking on the profile icon in the system tray (at the bottom right of the screen).

1. Delete any files you have saved on your desktop
If you save a file on the desktop, it goes into your profile, so you should save it somewhere else and delete it from your desktop. If you want to access your files from any computer, you should store them in your Personal File Store, not on your desktop.

2. Delete large files from Application Data
You need to delete any large files shown at the top of the list prefaced with Application Data.

Hope this Helps
I'm sorry, but neither of these steps worked. I didn't have this problem before I ran the Windows Repair, and now it seems any document will exceed my profile space. Also, it lists things off which are in my local storage.

@ toshi: I'm sorry, but I didn't understand any of the steps there. It also says that the default setting for profiles is unlimited... so is there a way to get it back to this default setting?
Old 05-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
Registered Member

I didn't mention this because I didn't think this was important, but about a week before this problem I had some viral infections on my computer. One of them involved Spyware Protect 2009. I managed to get rid of it and all of the other viral infections with some help from this board, but I could not access my safe boot. One user helped me with that, but the setting was still not what it was before.

I ended up using Windows Repair later, and that's when this profile space problem came up. The reason why I mention this now is because of these:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=44739.0

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic215494.html

These users are experiencing the very same problem I am right now and they had the same infection, so I can't help but feel this is somehow related. I don't know what my profile space setting was before, but it was never a problem until now and I've already removed a lot of my usual files. :(

edit #100: I found this solution and I'd like to try it when I get home.

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...start-computer

I'll let you all know if it works.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Registered Member

Seems the solution I was going to try earlier only works for XP Pro, and I have XP Home.

Please, can someone tell me how to set the profile space to unlimited? It isn't a problem with items I have on my desktop or application folder. I moved every file I could to my local storate, but the error message still pops up and reads everything there.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #7
Registered Member

Someone told me to create a registry file by copy and pasting the bottom code to notepad and saving it as undopolicy.reg (under All Files):

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"EnableProfileQuota"=-
"ProfileQuotaMessage"=-
"MaxProfileSize"=-
"IncludeRegInProQuota"=-
"WarnUser"=-
"WarnUserTimeout"=-
I double clicked it after I saved it to Desktop, and it worked. Thanks for you help, everyone. My situation is now resolved.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

If your issue is resolved, you can mark this Solved using the Thread Tools at the top of this thread, right side.

Jerry
Old 05-17-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
Registered Member

lol, thanks. This is one of four forums I've posted in about this problem.

Thread is now marked "solved". Thanks again. =)
Old 07-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
Registered Member

You are a life saver.
I spent almost a month to resolve this issue.
Kool! i am now become a member of this forum.
Thanks guys.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:49 AM   #11
Registered Member

WOW! This absolutely saved my computer!

Thank you guy's so much!

Killguard
Old 07-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #12
Registered Member

OK, I'm really ignorant. Can anyone explain, in detail, how can I create the file chingutee mentioned. I've been fighting the problem, apparently originating with the Spyware Protect 2009. Now I have the same problem with exceeded profile space. This has been going on for three days now. Thanks a bunch. Bugman1

Hey!! Great, it worked. I decided to take a chance and not worry about playing it safe and Chingutee's directions worked. Thanks a million. I'm very glad that I have finally found a forum that is helpful.

Thanks again,
Bugman1
Old 07-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
Microsoft MVP

Welcome to TSF!

Copy and paste the code into Notepad.
Save it on the Desktop as Profile.reg or undopolicy.reg; any name will work as long as the extension is .reg -- Be sure to change the Save as Type: box from *.txt to All Files
Double click the file, click Yes to merge into the Registry.
If the problem comes back, you are still infected.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:18 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOutcaste View Post
Welcome to TSF!

Copy and paste the code into Notepad.
Save it on the Desktop as Profile.reg or undopolicy.reg; any name will work as long as the extension is .reg -- Be sure to change the Save as Type: box from *.txt to All Files
Double click the file, click Yes to merge into the Registry.
If the problem comes back, you are still infected.
When I do this, I get another error message "Cannot import ....Profile.reg. The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor." Now what

Thanks
Zane
Old 08-07-2009, 03:40 AM   #15
Microsoft MVP

Did you leave out the first line?
If you don't have the Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 line at the top you will get that error.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:02 AM   #16
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

I was experiencing the same problem after I had reinstalled xp, I didn't know what to do and I was very reluctant to go and just delete files and stuff. I just kept on googling my problem on the web, when I finally came across this heaven sent forum. I did exactly what was suggested up above and it worked. Now that ugly red circle x is gone and I can shut down/log off the right way.
Thanks guys!!!!!

Old 08-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captzane View Post
When I do this, I get another error message "Cannot import ....Profile.reg. The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor." Now what

Thanks
Zane
I have registry editor 5.1. Does that make a difference
Old 08-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #18
Registered Member

I'm lost. As before, A step by step "checklist" would be very helpful for me. Sorry to be a pain, but I just get bits and pieces otherwize.

Thanks
Zane
Old 08-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #19
Microsoft MVP

Version 5.1 is fine.
Highlight all of the code in the Code block
Press CTRL+C. This copies the highlighted text to the clipboard though nothing visible happens.
Open Notepad
Press CTRL+V. This will paste the text.
Click File | Save As...
On the left side in the Places Bar, click Desktop
In the File Name: box type Undopolicy.reg
In the Save as Type: box, set this to All Files {may show All Files (*.*)}
In the Encoding: box, set this to ANSI
Click the Save button. The file will appear on the Desktop
Double click the file. You'll get a dialog asking if you are sure you want to add this information, click Yes.
You should then get a message that it was successfully entered. Click OK.

I'll repost the code here, and also attach it as a text file. You can download the file and change the extension from .txt to .reg

Code:

"EnableProfileQuota"=-
"ProfileQuotaMessage"=-
"MaxProfileSize"=-
"IncludeRegInProQuota"=-
"WarnUser"=-
"WarnUserTimeout"=-
Attached Files
File Type: txt Undopolicy.txt (249 Bytes, 427 views)
Old 08-10-2009, 04:26 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOutcaste View Post
Version 5.1 is fine.
Highlight all of the code in the Code block
Press CTRL+C. This copies the highlighted text to the clipboard though nothing visible happens.
Open Notepad
Press CTRL+V. This will paste the text.
Click File | Save As...
On the left side in the Places Bar, click Desktop
In the File Name: box type Undopolicy.reg
In the Save as Type: box, set this to All Files {may show All Files (*.*)}
In the Encoding: box, set this to ANSI
Click the Save button. The file will appear on the Desktop
Double click the file. You'll get a dialog asking if you are sure you want to add this information, click Yes.
You should then get a message that it was successfully entered. Click OK.

I'll repost the code here, and also attach it as a text file. You can download the file and change the extension from .txt to .reg

Code:

"EnableProfileQuota"=-
"ProfileQuotaMessage"=-
"MaxProfileSize"=-
"IncludeRegInProQuota"=-
"WarnUser"=-
"WarnUserTimeout"=-

Thanks, now I get it. That worked. Thanks very, very much.

Z