Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] Problem with windows update -- error number 0x8007043B

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Problem with windows update -- error number 0x8007043B within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I'm working on a friends computer and cannot get updates from Microsoft Windows Update site. The computer was infected

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I'm working on a friends computer and cannot get updates from Microsoft Windows Update site. The computer was infected with a virus, but was able to clean it up as far as I can tell. The machine is an eMachine T6450 running Windows XP Media Center. I was going to perform a system recovery using the Recovery Partition on the hard drive. Apparently when the manufacturer created the "Recovery Partition" some of the required files were not included and and require a Recovery Disc set to be used during the Recovery operation. The owner of the computer no longer has the Recovery CD set so I could not perform a successful System Recovery. I did however perform a repair on the Operating system by using my Windows XP Professional installation CD. Everything works great except for the errord code from Microsoft when attempting to download Windows Updates. The error message I receive is

"Problem with windows update -- error number 0x8007043B"

From what I've been able to find out the problem seems to related to not having a current version of Windows Update Manager installed or the service is not started. On the troubleshooting steps Microsoft instructs me to open up and verify that the Automatic Update Service is started. I checked the service and Automatic Updates is not currently started. I tried to start the service and I received te following error message:

"Error 1083
The executable program that the service is configured to run in does not implement the service"

How do I resolve this issue?

Thanks

Old 01-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Go to wondow update site and download and install the latest version of windows installer. Good luck

Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

A few ideas below that may help your issue with Windows Updates.

Method 1

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below:

* Click the Start button
* choose Run
* type cmd and then click OK.

Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Then attempt to run Windows Update again.

Method 2: Other Steps you can take to fix Windows Update

Is it still not working? These steps sometimes work to resolve the issue:

Step 1:
Verify that your computer's date and time are accurate and that Internet Explorer language option is not empty.

To check the language setting in Internet Explorer:
1. Click "Tools" and then choose "Internet Options"
2. Click the lanuage button
3. Make sure at least one language is listed in the "Language Options" dialog.

When checking your date (including the year) and time, also check the Internet Time and Time Zone.

Double click on the date/time in the notification/system tray area (near the clock) select Internet Time Tab and then select update now. If it's not already checked, check automatically synchronize with an internet Time Server - WinXP.

Step 2:
Also check these settings:
1. Tools > Internet Options> Advanced
2. Scroll down to the Security Settings.
3. Make sure that the two boxes are checked that say "Enable SSL 2" or "Enable SSL 3".
4. Uncheck "Check for server certificate revocation".

Step 3:
Also delete Temporary Internet Files
1. Tools > Internet Options > General
2. Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files, Click OK

Step 4:
1. Tools > Internet Options >Security
Click Trusted sites, click Default level.
Click the sites button and clear the checkbox "Require server verification"
http: for all sites in this zone."
Now add the following:
http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
https://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
http://download.windowsupdate.com

If required, reboot and try Windows Update again. If still no success, have a look at the following links for more clues.

Method 3: rename the SoftwareDistribution folder

Click START, Choose Run
In the Run box, type "services.msc" (without the quotes)
Click OK
Right click the Automatic Updates service,
Click stop.
Stopping the service will take a moment.

Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder :
a. Click Start, click Run, type "%systemroot%" (without the quotes) and then click OK.
b. Right click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename
c. Type SoftwareDistribution.old, and then press ENTER to rename this folder.

Click START
Choose Run
In the Run box, type "services.msc" without the quotes"
Click OK
Right-click the Automatic Updates service
Click Start.
Starting the service will take a moment.

Reboot if appropriate and try WU again.

Note when you rename the SoftwareDistribution folder - you will lose your history but not important.

Make sure you haven't got anything blocking Windows Update like
Nortons
Zonealarm etc
Also make sure you don't have a Web Accelerator working in the backgound such as
Net Zero
HiSpeed
Speedband etc

Clear out your temporary internet cache. Try a reboot and then try WU again.

Post back if you need more information or let us know if any of the above was of assistance.

kind regards,
Old 01-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Registered Member

I would like to thank you guys for your help. Tallin, something interesting happened during the steps you suggested. I went through the steps beginning with "Method 1", the "Method 2". I rebooted after re-register the DLL files you sugested and still couldn't get Windows Updates to run. Also performed the tweaks in IE options with no success. It was probably a combination of all these steps that cured the problem, but I decided to remove "Microsoft Recovery Console" from the Boot INI and low and behold I was able to begin checking and download Windows Updates with no errors. I have never had any problems on other machines running Windows Updates while "Microsoft Recovery Console" was listed second in the Boot INI. Weird...Anyway thanks again for all the help. Things are now as they should be in the world of Windows on this machine.

Have a great week-end.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
I decided to remove "Microsoft Recovery Console" from the Boot INI and low and behold I was able to begin checking and download Windows Updates with no errors.
The above was a very good move.

Very good news that the issue is corrected, glad to have been of some assistance to you.

This makes interesting reading. I have followed it and have my updates turned off, access WU once a week or if I see on the forums there are updates other than once a month - it works well for me on my systems.

kind regards,