Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] On-board Ethernet Adapter Driver Doesn't Work

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] On-board Ethernet Adapter Driver Doesn't Work within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok, so I've re-installed Windows XP (SP2) and after it booted up, I noticed that my onboard ethernet adapter wasn't

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ok, so I've re-installed Windows XP (SP2) and after it booted up, I noticed that my onboard ethernet adapter wasn't recognised. So I went and downloaded the appropriate drivers (SiS900.zip) from the mobo's official site (it's a PCChips M848A mobo) but when I try to install the drivers, it still says that the hardware isn't functional (Code 1).

I've tried many different versions of SiS900 drivers but it simply won't work.

When I tried the setup.exe file that came with the official driver, the install would say "Update Driver for PnP Device Fail. Setup will exit".

That's when I simply forwarded the windows hardware installer to an XP folder i found in the zip file. But still, it doesn't work.

I really need help on this matter. Thanks in advance...

EDIT: Maybe it's worth mentioning that I re-installed WinXP over an existing windows partition without formatting it. I simply deleted the former windows installation files.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to elf

Have you tried directing the driver to install from SiS900\WinXP\netoem.inf ?

Go into your device manager, right click the device under network adapters and click update driver. From there direct it to the aforementioned file.

If TSF has helped you, Tell us about it! or Donate to help keep the site up!
I do not subscribe to threads, so if I stop replying, PM me with a link to your thread so I can find it again.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
techpro5238

Hi Teragen and welcome to TSF

It is probably best to start from scratch, deleting those folders will delete the bulk of the old installation but other issues may come along with that. I would recommend formatting the whole drive over, then reinstalling Windows.

I would like you to run Killdisk on your machine to format it thoroughly, and reinstall your Windows/Mac/Linux Installation. Just download the ISO from the website and burn it with Nero or another program. Then set your machine to boot up from the CD Drive, and insert the disk. Then just choose your drive that you want to format and follow the on-screen instructions. Make sure to disconnect ALL other drives that are connected to fend away mistakes that might be made.

Then try to install the drivers once again, I think it should work after a good format and install.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Have you tried directing the driver to install from SiS900\WinXP\netoem.inf ?

Go into your device manager, right click the device under network adapters and click update driver. From there direct it to the aforementioned file.
I did that, but it still said that there was a problem installing the hardware. I really don't understand why it doesn't work. Maybe I should format my C: drive...

Quote:
Hi Teragen and welcome to TSF

It is probably best to start from scratch, deleting those folders will delete the bulk of the old installation but other issues may come along with that. I would recommend formatting the whole drive over, then reinstalling Windows.

I would like you to run Killdisk on your machine to format it thoroughly, and reinstall your Windows/Mac/Linux Installation. Just download the ISO from the website and burn it with Nero or another program. Then set your machine to boot up from the CD Drive, and insert the disk. Then just choose your drive that you want to format and follow the on-screen instructions. Make sure to disconnect ALL other drives that are connected to fend away mistakes that might be made.

Then try to install the drivers once again, I think it should work after a good format and install.
Yeah, I think I'm forced to do this. It's a shame though, to go through it again. Still doesn't make any sense...
Old 12-21-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
techpro5238

Sounds good, we hope to hear of your results soon

Old 12-22-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
Registered Member

Ok, so I re-installed Windows XP SP2 on a formatted partition and my ethernet adapter works.

That's the good news. The bad news is that my on-board audio (Realtek AC'97) doesn't work anymore.
I've downloaded the official drivers as well as some others and they don't seem to work.

I hope I don't have to reformat my HDD again...

Edit:

Ok, ignore what I said. I managed to install the drivers manually. It was a pain...

Anyway, thanks for the help and I'll try to browse these forums more often and help where I can...
Old 12-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
techpro5238

Thats great to hear , I am happy you got it fixed.

Closed Thread