Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Loud Noise from CPU

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Riskyone101 
#1 ·
There's this loud noise coming from my CPU. I opened it up and cleaned removed most of the dust, and it still sounds the same. In the start up screen there was the message "diskette drive 0 seek failure", I disabled the floppy drive, the message doesn't appear anymore, and its still sounds the same. The sound mostly comes from the Floppy Drive area. I'm really worried, anything I can do to solve this?

Specifications:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2
Intel Celeron CPU 2.00 GHz

#2 ·
Re: Loud Noise from CPU

Is there a floppy disk in the drive? It sounds like the floppy drive is dead (or dying) which is not all that unusual. Open the case cover and disconnect the power cable from the back of the floppy drive. Test. If the noise persists then it could be a fan failing or some other problem. Try the above first and get back to us.

#5 ·

Cable (red, yellow and 2 black) with a four pin plug that is connected to the floppy drive next to the ribbon cable. Pull it firmly to unplug it.

#7 ·

Glad it helped! You may as well unplug the grey ribbon cable as well from both the drive and the board (remove it completely). Leave the old floppy drive in place or you will have an unsightly hole in the front of the case where it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.