Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] Lost Shutdown Icons Replaced With Drop Down Screen

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Lost Shutdown Icons Replaced With Drop Down Screen within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My brother downloaded some PSP Video software on my laptop and it somehow changed the setting for my shut down

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

My brother downloaded some PSP Video software on my laptop and it somehow changed the setting for my shut down screen so instead of getting the three icons I used to get, now I have an old school looking drop down menu and I'm not sure how to change it back. I saw that someone else had this problem back in October of 2007 and it doesn't look like it was resolved
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/...em-187264.html

I'm hoping someone can tell me how to fix it because the drop down menu is frustrating and I don't want to have to create an icon on my desktop to shut down...I liked it the way it was and would like for it to go back.
Thanks.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Hi EKT19 and welcome to TSF !

Is this what you see ?
http://www.acomp.usf.edu/Help/dynami.../restartxp.gif

Go to start => control panel => user accounts => change the way users log on or off => tick the "use welcome screen" box.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, that's exactly what I needed! Thank you.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

i have the exact same problem, and followed those instructions but it wont let me proceed, instead i get a message saying a recently installed programme has prevented me from doing this and must be uninstalled for me to make the change, it gave me a filename to help locate the programme, however its a system32 dll file and i dont know what to do from here , please please help, the only thing i can think of is that it may belong to my wireless adapter?????
Old 07-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

A recently installed program has disabled the Welcome screen and Fast User Switching

What's the exact name of the file after "The following file name might help you identify the program that made the change:" ?

Could be some desktop replacement utility (like the vista transformation pack), a fingerprint reader or something else that replaces the default logon screen.

If you have a fingerprint reader installed you'll have to enter the program's options to uncheck "replace windows logon" or or enable "fast user switching support" or something like that. More informations :
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-58845
http://help.lockergnome.com/windows/...ict521451.html
Old 07-13-2008, 04:56 AM   #6
Registered Member

hi, the file name is rtginadll but i have since discovered, through the process of illimination and almost destroying my system haha(which is fine now) that it is the wireless network adapter, i uninstalled and all returned to normal, then reinstalled and its back to how i DON't want it, i need the adapter so any ideas how i can work around it , have the adapter and my settings back to normal ?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:17 AM   #7
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

You'll need to install the adapter without the bundled software : when the wireless adapter is installed and working go to start => run and type devmgmt.msc. Expand your network controllers, double-click the wireless adapter, go on the driver tab and click on driver details. Write down the names of all the files you see there.

Then go to start => search, click on advanced options and tick the first 3 boxes (system folders, hidden files and folders, subfolders), select the c: drive and search for all files with the same name and other extensions (for instance if one of the files is called xyz.sys you'll search for xyz.*). You should get some .sys, .dll, .cat and .inf files. Once you've found them all save them to some folder on the desktop.

Uninstall your wireless adapter and its bundled software, restart the computer and you should get the new hardware installation wizard. Don't run the regular installer. Instead choose "No, not this time" when prompted to connect to Windows Update, then choose "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)", click "Include this location in the search" and browse to the folder that holds all the files you've found.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:24 AM   #8
Registered Member

hi, i think i have it sorted, using one of the links you provided, thanks a million, im not 100% sure yet, so may be back, but thank you thank you