Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] linking other computers on my net work places

946 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Done_Fishin 
#1 ·
hi there i am new too this site , and am having difficulties accessing drives on a computer that i kinda made a server sort of i use it for all 3 printers and download computer as it has about 700 gigs of space i did the set up too allow the drives too be accessed on my net work but only 1 computer in the house can see those drives when you click on my net work places the other 2 plus the lab top cant see them i had the same problem with print sharing but i manged too get those too work by typing in the printer name through adding a printer . if anyone could help me with this it would be great :4-dontkno

#2 ·
Re: linking other computers on my net work places

hi & welcome .. can you rephrase into something a little bit more understandable please.
too many words and no punctuation I and probably anyone else who looks here will have trouble understanding ..
keep it clear , describe the layout in simple terms.

I understand that you have a server with 3 printers and 700 GB's and they can only be seen from one PC on your home network .. is this how you want it or is this your problem ?? What are you trying to do ..

Are you using NAS ?? do you have a firewall ?? have you given all the correct permissions and passwords to all PC's to allow access ??

#3 ·

Once you've checked that all the permissions are set up correctly, you can try mapping a network drive by right clicking My Computer and selecting Map Network Drive. In the window that loads you can assign it a drive letter, and you will be required to type it's address (e.g. \\servercomputername\sharename or \\serverIPaddress\sharename). From that window you can also chose to have it connect as a different user if you need.

#4 ·

sorry for the incoherent paragraph

1) yes i used and old computer too connect all printers too and made the drives on that computer available to be shared.

2) only 1 computer can view those drives the other 3 cant find them when you click on my net work places.

3) what can i do on the other 3 comps too find those drives on my network places , as i am very unfamilar with this operation .

4) what is NAS?

#5 ·

3) what can i do on the other 3 comps too find those drives on my network places , as i am very unfamilar with this operation .
right click My Computer and selecting Map Network Drive.

In the window that loads you can assign it a drive letter, and you will be required to type it's address in the field labeled Folder (e.g. \\servercomputername\sharename or \\serverIPaddress\sharename).

From that window you can also chose to have it connect as a different user if you need.

4) what is NAS?'
NAS = Network Attached Storage...you probably do not have it

#6 ·

k thanxs for the help i tried somethin different and got it too work went to system info and clicked on computer name and clicked net work id and now alll comps can see drives, now i have too make my wireless secure now , still learning

#7 ·

Are you saying that you hadn't set up all your computers as being on the same network ??

NAS drives are usually installed by attaching the drive (connected via usb cable not sure if there is any other way) to a switch or hub that connects it/them to the network.

I have a linksys with 2 usb ports for 2 separate drives and had very similar problems regarding access from any other PC except the one it was set-up with ..

Glad to see you found a work around for your problem .. good luck with the next one .. you'll probably need to define who you allow access to .. username & passwords .. to stop any other "intruder" from gaining access

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.