Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR caused by ntkrnlpa.exe

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR caused by ntkrnlpa.exe within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. Especially while gaming, nearly every time, I will get a "blue screen of death" for KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR, which was caused

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello. Especially while gaming, nearly every time, I will get a "blue screen of death" for KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR, which was caused by the ntkrnlpa.exe driver according to "Blue Screen View."

Previously, I was randomly getting BSODs while using the computer to browse the web, as well as when it was sitting idle. It doesn't seem to do that anymore.

ALSO, I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed. It will perform a quick scan just fine, but when attempting a full scan, it will run at a snails pace....after running for 12 hours it will only have 3 bars out of the entire length of the status. Sometimes also causing a BSOD for the same error, again caused by the ntkrnlpa.exe driver.

I have also noticed that Piriform Defraggler will also operate at a snails pace. So slow, again, that even after 12 hours, barely anything is done at all.

However, I run SpyBot S&D, Super AntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, and Piriform CC Cleaner on a regular basis. Everything will do a full scan in roughly the same amount of time that it takes on any other system I have run these programs on. Additionally, I keep Windows XP updated through Micorosft Update on a regular basis as well. My system is well maintained and it is not neglected, that's for sure.

ALSO, the stock Windows XP defragmenter and disk cleaner will complete successfully in normal time. The only programs I notice to be running at a snails pace are Microsoft Security Essentials and Piriform Defraggler. This is totally odd, because both of those programs operate quickly on other older and slower computer sustems that I use as well.

The specs of the computer I am having these issues with is as follows:

Windows XP Home Service Pack 3
Asus A8N-32 SLI Deluxe motherboard
AMD FX-60 2.61 ghz Dual-Core processor
2gb Ultra RAM
850 watt Ultra power supply
Creative X-FI X-Treme Music sound card
ATI "Sapphire" X-1950 XT PCI-Express x16 256mb RAM video card
2 x 320gb Seagate SATA harddrives, not set to RAID. One of the drives has Windows and my programs on it, while other second drive contains my documents and other files on it.

Any ideas of what is causing my BSOD as well as causing Defraggler and Security Essentials to run at such a slow speed? Thank you very much.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
Registered Member

Also, I have run "long generic" scans on both of my hard drives using the Seagate diagnostic tool "SeaTools" and both drives show up as healthy and operating correctly, just an FYI.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Windows Tech Team

Hi

Download and run this application: BSOD_XP_v1.3_jcgriff2_PROD.exe.
Once it has finished running zip the folder TSF_XP_Support which can be found in your Documents folder.
Attach the zipped file to your next post.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

Still using the BSOD program, thought it was hanging at "Running msinfo32 - saving as NFO File ***PLEASE WAIT****" because it was at that point for about 45-50 minutes, but it just finished.

The .zip of the contents of that folder is attached. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TSF_XP_Support.zip (1.19 MB, 163 views)
Old 09-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Try updating your Video Card Drive. Your current driver is from 2010.
Quote:
Card name: Radeon X1950 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Driver Date/Size: 2/10/2010 23:45:14, 325120 bytes
As for Defragler etfc You may have some bad clusters in your paging file. Go to Start/Run and type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. Now press Y and restart the computer. The Check Disk Utility will try and fix any errors.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Registered Member

That is the latest ATI driver version available for my x1950. It is version 10.2 from February of 2010. :(
Old 09-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team

Hi

Although you have run the Long test with Seatools your event log suggests that you have something wrong with your hard drive.
Code:
Event Type:	Warning
Event Source:	Disk
Event Category:	None
Event ID:	51
Date:		11/09/2011
Time:		10:23:56 AM
User:		N/A
Computer:	BLAINE
Description:
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

and

A device attached to the system is not functioning.   (0x8007001f)
, C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\......
Your minidump also suggests a bad block on your hard drive:
Code:
BugCheck 77, {1, 4d208a81, 0, 9b924c34}
Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MmInPageKernelStack+173 )

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR (77)
The requested page of kernel data could not be read in.  Caused by
bad block in paging file or disk controller error.
In the case when the first arguments is 0 or 1, the stack signature
in the kernel stack was not found.  Again, bad hardware.
An I/O status of c000009c (STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR) or
C000016AL (STATUS_DISK_OPERATION_FAILED)  normally indicates
the data could not be read from the disk due to a bad
block.  Upon reboot autocheck will run and attempt to map out the bad
sector.  If the status is C0000185 (STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR) and the paging
file is on a SCSI disk device, then the cabling and termination should be
checked.
Follow Spunk.Funk's advice and run a chkdsk on your drive.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Registered Member

I attempted to use the chkdsk (chkdsk C: /R). Restarted, and the function, literally, completed within seconds. I have used chkdsk on other systems before as well as this system, and usually it is a longer process. Something is definitely funky with this system. I will try it again, though.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
Registered Member

Well, I tried again. I just typed in chkdsk /r, and it worked. I doubt it had anything to do with the fact that I didn't type chkdsk C: /r like before, but regardless....the chkdsk /r operation took over 6 hours to complete. That has to be the longest I have ever experienced, usually it is done in 20-30 minutes or so.

I am not sure if it repaired anything or not. I don't have my hopes up, though.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Taking a long time means there were bad sectors and it tried to fix them. You can download the ISO image for Drive Fitness from my signature and burn it to a CD using IMGBurn also in my signature and boot off of the newly created CD and run the short and extended tests on the drive.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #11
Registered Member

I have burned the image for the drive testing software and will be loading it soon.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
Registered Member

I ran advanced tests on both of my drives last night, they both completed successfully and it didn't say anything about any errors.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You can right click My Computer/Properties/Advanced/Performance/Settings/Advanced/Virtual Memory/Change. change to NO Paging File. Click Apply/OK. Run Check Disk again. Go to Start/Run and type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. Press a Y and reboot the computer. Check Disk runs at startup. After the computer restarts go back and set the Paging File to System Managed. Removing the paging file allows Check Disk to check that area of the HDD if bad clusters it will mark them as un-useable and not save data to them.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
Registered Member

Ok I will run that tonight with the paging file disabled.

The program was showing my Serial-ATA drives as ATA however, was that a problem? My sat a controller was not listed, it seemed to look and said it wasn't found, but then apparently still found my drives because it listed them with the correct size and serial number.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #15
Registered Member

Ok, I followed your recommendation of disabling the paging file and then running a chkdsk /r. I disabled the paging file, restarted, typed in the chkdsk /r command, restarted again, and the chkdsk /r operation started. I am not sure how long this process took, as I ran it while I was asleep.....and the computer was back in to Windows by the time I woke up.

I set the paging file back to "system managed size" just as it was set before, and restarted again.

I ran a defrag with Piriform Defraggler. It actually completed, but still took 11 hours or so, even with only 4%-5% fragmentation on the drive. I do not understand why it took so long, it should only take an hour tops. But at least it finished entirely, I guess that is a step in the right direction :)
Old 09-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #16
Registered Member

Defraggler was showing both of my drives as 0% fragmented. I ran it again for good measure, on both drives. The operation was much faster, just as it should always be.

However, I loaded up Battlefield 2, and after I was gaming for only a couple of minutes, I got another BSOD for a kernell stack inpage error.

I attached another minidump file that I created after restarting. What is it saying is at fault now? Thank you.

PS - I will try using Microsoft Security Essentials tonight and see if the scan is any quicker than before or not.......
Attached Files
File Type: zip TSF_XP_Support.zip (1.20 MB, 25 views)
Old 09-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
Registered Member

Microsoft Security Essentials is now completing full scans in a reasonable and what seems to be a normal amount of time without getting a BSOD. I am still getting a Kernell_Stack_Inpage_Error BSOD when gaming, however..

This system is running alot better than it was, nonetheless.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Try using Driver Verifier.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #19
Registered Member

Ok, I ran Driver Verifier. I first opened it up and switched it to verify ALL drivers (it was previously only set to verify signed drivers)

Upon start-up I got a blue screen, stating "IO system verification error in stream.sys (wdm driver error 216)"

I restarted again and got the error. I had to boot back in to safe-mode to change Driver Verifier to only verify signed drivers, and then I was able to get back in to Windows XP in normal mode.

Also, last night I ran MemTest86. It found one error. Test 8, pass 3. I ran MemTest all night long so I am not sure how many passes it made, but I assume it just kept looping over and over and over again.

Screenshots of the results of Driver Verifier and MemTest are attached. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DriverVerifier.jpg (92.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg MemTest.jpg (97.4 KB, 55 views)
Old 09-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you get an error in Memtest then you have a bad stick of RAM. If you have more then one stick. Remove all but one, and run Memtest again until you find the bad stick and then replace it.
The Stream.sys error is caused by a video driver that is out of date, but it could very well be caused by bad RAM

Closed Thread
Gear in this thread