Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Installing XP Pro on a second partition

12K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Jerry Springer 
#1 ·
Hi,

Yesterday I downloaded Windows XP Pro from the MSDNAA site where microsoft offers free software for students in certain schools. I saved the ISO, then it went thru about a two hour unpack then it burnt itself to a CD. After that I made a second partition on my hard drive of 100GB. Now that I have the second partition (which is a Logical Drive) I want to install Windows XP Pro on it, and keep Vista Premium on the first, primary partition. Now I put the CD into the CD drive and I booted from a CD and it went thru the normal Windows setup but before starting the install it told me it had nowhere to install it to, and to make sure all drives I want to use are plugged in or functional. Now I don't know why i get this screen but I want it to get to the point where it asks which partition I want to put it on. I run Vista Premium and any other info you need I'll respond with asap.

-Ahinote

#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Re: Installing XP Pro on a second partition

OK Vista install recognizes the partition I created via the GUI as something it can install on. Now go to page three, I get a page that says there is no place to install XP instead of the first picture on the instructions. There is the problem spot.

This is the screen:
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/nodriveimages/nohdd.gif

#9 ·

Hello ,

the reason that you can not see Vista is because it is running on a differnt driver set up

now if you go back into the bios & changed it back you would see Vista but not Xp

to get them both working and stable you will have alot of work ahead of you

I am not the person for a dual boot with Vista & Xp / tried and tried to get them to work together but then just built 2 machines / then sold the Vista machine

I am in the process of building another one but with better hardware

My Xp system suits me fine untill i can get the right set up for Vista & the new Windows 7

But there is others here that most likely be able to help you

I would post in the Vista Forum here at this site since it is your first installed software

Mike

#10 ·

I'm probably not the one to try and work through fixing what you have so far. It's probably easier to reinstall XP if you have the AHCI drivers. If you have the motherboard's driver CD you can make a floppy (if you have one) with the needed XP drivers. You can also use a program called nLite to build an XP installation CD with the needed drivers. Both of those options assume you are going to reinstall XP from scratch, which may be the easiest option.

But the starting point is you need to find the motherboard driver disk or download the AHCI drivers for XP from the manufacturer's web site.

#13 ·

I figured out what I did wrong. I forgot to go back to the instructions mike gave me and go to step 4. It is now working perfectly and I can easily switch between the two partitions on my hard drive and use either Vista or XP Pro. Thank's everyone :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.