Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] I need XP (Home Edition) Service Pack SP1A

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] I need XP (Home Edition) Service Pack SP1A within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have had to replace my system's primary hard disc. I have installed Windows XP Home Edition and now have

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have had to replace my system's primary hard disc.

I have installed Windows XP Home Edition and now have started installing the Service Packs before finding all the various patches etc.

In the process of downloading the first SP, SP1A but I am having a problem.

I can down load the Express exe file, which appaeras to be a loader, but when going to do the actual SP download when I try to run the installation program it stops and says the server is not responding. I hit 'retry' and eventually get the message:-
"Service Pack 1 Setup Error
The following error occurred while Service Pack 1 Setup attempted to download the Service Pack 1 files from the Internet:
The server did not respond.
If the error persists after you have clicked Retry several times, go to the Windows XP Service Pack Web site and select "Problems Downloading the Service Pack." This will give instructions on how to download a version of the Service Pack that does not require a Web connection during installation"

The URL of the site it is trying to connect to is http://xpSP1.microsoft.com/isapi/pst.../SP1.USA.1106a. Which, incidentally, I cannot connect to on my other PC.

I cannot find a site referred to as the "Windows XP Service Pack Web site" that has the link "Problems Downloading the Service Pack." I shall be grateful for any help on where to find SP1a without such a website please.

Is the problem that XP SP1 and SP2 are no longer supported and therefore no longer available?

I understand that a copy of the Network version of the SP may be available but it is no longer on the MS websites. Does anyone know if it is archived somewhere plese?

Any help will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks & regards

trubmij

Old 02-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Try getting it here:

Download Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) Free - First Service Pack for Windows XP :) - Softpedia

Old 02-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
Registered Member

Old Rich

Thanks for that but regret that this only downloads the 1.9MB "loader", i.e. the "Express" file which, when run, goes off to the MS site which no longer exists - the problem in my previous post. I was looking for a copy of the Network version of the SP which is between 125-140MB.

Thanks & regards

trubmij
Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

You don't have to have Sp1a installed to update to SP2. Just install Sp2
Old 03-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delay in acknowledging.

I have installed SP2 on continued rebuilding my PC, loading the software and recovering files from backups.

Thanks

trubmij
Old 03-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

You are welcome! Please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.
Attached Images

Closed Thread