Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] How do i restore "system restore"? Emsisoft destroyed it!

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] How do i restore "system restore"? Emsisoft destroyed it! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I downloaded and installed an antivirus program called Emsisoft. It asked me to configure startup menus and tell it which

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

I downloaded and installed an antivirus program called Emsisoft. It asked me to configure startup menus and tell it which programs it could trust. I made some mistakes apparently, and now my system is ROYALLY messed up. I managed to uninstall the program, but the changes it made remain behind. These are too numerous to list easily (but they include removing the "task bar" at the bottom of the screen), but the one that is most bothersome, is that it de-activated or damaged the "system restore" function... i cannot access it no matter what i try. I need to restore the system to a point before Emsisoft changed things. I can't access it from safe mode, to use the C:\Windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe trick (although if i could somehow access the command prompt from the control panel this might work ... is this possible???), because i can't boot up directly from the local disc: my computer tries to boot up from the CD drive, so i must press F9 in order to select the C drive to boot from - so the F8 safe mode is not available. I can get to the control panel through a great program called PC Optimizer pro.. so if i can restore the system restore function from there, or access the command promt, or reset the boot volume so i can use F8, i'll be all set.. maybe.

Please: anybody who knows what i can do to access my system restore function again, please help me! Thanks in anticipation!!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Moderator Offline

Hi and welcome to TSF

What Anti virus were you using before ?

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basementgeek View Post
Hi and welcome to TSF

What Anti virus were you using before ?

BG

AVG....it works well, but it couldn't find the bug that i got emsoft to seek: a re-director thingie that sent me to various URLs from Google, on Firefox. Maybe i should have turned it off before installing the new kid on the block... but its too late now: i just need my restore function back.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Moderator Offline

It is most likely was not Emsisoft that caused your problems, sounds like you are infected.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:
NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

After running through all the steps, please post the requested logs in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum, not here.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Registered Member

I ran a complete, deep scan with the emsisoft program just before things went haywire. It quarantined 46 small items: none of them looked like they could affect system performance. SO, unless the antivirus program INTRODUCED a virus, an infection is not the problem. If i can restore my system restore function using the control panel, or from the command prompt somehow (if i can get to it using means other than F8 or the Start button, both of which are unavailable to me), i'll be fine: i can just restore the system to the condition that it was in before it was tampered with.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
Moderator Offline

Did you not say that you were being redirected when you used Google ?

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Old 04-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Due to forum rules we cannot assist you with Malware removal. I should tell you to click on the link in my signature for Virus Help and post in that forum. That being said, take a look at the Emisoft Forum
Old 04-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
Registered Member

I did not ask for help with virus or program removal: i hopefully removed any anti-malware program which caused the problem (my system being messed up royally, in a variety of ways, and i cannot access the restore function in order to restore the system), then i was able to successfully remove the program itself: it is gone completely. I asked for assistance with a technical problem: how to restore my corrupted or blocked system restore function, perhaps by accessing the command prompt through the control panel, or by accessing it by changing the BIOS/startup volume problem which prevents me from using "safe mode" - which would allow me to return to a system configuration from before the time that the system became corrupted.

PLEASE... there must be several ways to do this. I only need one.

Thanks in anticipation.... :--).
Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Did you not say that you were being redirected when you used Google ?

BG
That was the rather trivial matter i was trying to fix by sicking emsisoft on it. Now, all i really need is to be able to get my system restore function back, so i can get back to a stable system configuration. There must be several ways of doing this: all i need is one of them, that will work within the parameters i described in the initial question.

Thanks again in anticipation!!
-Ross.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #10
Moderator Offline

You have some classic signs for being infected still, google redirects and loss of system restore.

This section of TSF can't help you if you are infected. You can post the logs needed in our Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum,or wipe and re install every thing.

Even if you were able to get the system restore to work, you will most likely find there are NO restore points.

Feel free to look around/join Emisoft Forum and ask a question.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Old 04-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Just because an anti virus removes infection does not mean you are not infected. Some viruses are written so they can not be removed or detected by standard detection means. As mentioned you are still infected proceed to the Virus/Trojans/Spyware Help portion of TSF.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 04-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer_24 View Post
Just because an anti virus removes infection does not mean you are not infected. Some viruses are written so they can not be removed or detected by standard detection means. As mentioned you are still infected proceed to the Virus/Trojans/Spyware Help portion of TSF.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply! That said, it turns out that i was after all correct. Emsisoft got rid of a couple of minor pieces of malware, but it was in fact the cause of the various other problems i eventually fixed by using the "restore" function - when it was itself restored, which was the question i was asking. The boot volume thing was easily tackled: a friend told me how do it: just use the F10 button, which gets you into BIOS by going one column to the right, which is oddly enough labeled "storage" or something equally strange. Then, disable the volumes you don't want the computer to use while booting up, by using the F5 key while holding down the enter key (why you have to use the enter key to assist, is beyond me, but it worked). Press F10 to save, then go back to the first column ("file" i think) and scroll down to "save changes and exit". This shifts the C drive (or whichever one you didn't disable) to the top of the boot order list, so the machine boots normally. Restoring the "restore" function, however, was much more complicated, and i had to take it to someone who knew how: she booted up from the startup CD for XP pro, and did what seemed like a LOT of fancy stuff which i frankly don't remember because she went too fast for me to burn it into my memory banks. We restored the system to the first restore point before i tried to use the EMsisoft monster, and voila!! Everything worked as well as it did before. This was a case (all too common in my experience....) of an anti-malware program becoming malware itself - not intentionally, but because of bugs or because some of them are just too tricky for the average computer user (such as myself ) to use safely. They REALLY should come with warnings as in "If you don't know what you are doing, PLEASE don't try to configure this program yourself: you could case serious damage to your system which may require a trip to the repair shop. Have someone who knows their way around this type of program, assist you."
Old 04-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
Moderator Offline

Good to know. But did she get rid of the redirects?

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Old 04-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Good to know. But did she get rid of the redirects?

BG
Um..... no. They are still coming. Neither emsisoft nor malwarbytes, nor AVG has found this very well-hidden little bug. Looks like i'm stuck with it after all . Fortunately, when i remember to do it, there is a good little work around: i just right-click on the desired link and scroll down to "open link in another tab." This prevents the redirect bug from doing its dirty work!! At least i got rid of a bunch of stuff that WAS found - and as a nice bonus my tech-friend got rid of a cute little malware thingie that was hiding the contents of a bunch of my folders. SO, i'm happy :D. She did that AFTER we restored the restore function and got everything else back to normal, so it wasn't responsible for any of the widespread havoc that it now seems certain emsisoft caused.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

If you click on Tools >> IE Options what is entered as your Home Page ?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Neither emsisoft nor malwarbytes, nor AVG has found this very well-hidden little bug. Looks like i'm stuck with it after all
You are still infected. This will raise it's ugly head some time down the road if you don't get rid of it. We still think you should visit our Virus Help forum by clicking the link in my signature.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
You are still infected. This will raise it's ugly head some time down the road if you don't get rid of it. We still think you should visit our Virus Help forum by clicking the link in my signature.
Thanks for the invitation... there must be some way to find and eliminate it, and an inquiry in this other forum may just turn it up!! I'm happy to have gotten everything else taken care of, though: my machine runs SOOOO much better than it did before. I defragged it, did a registry tuneup, and getting rid of the other malware has sped things up considerably... my friend also cleaned up the startup menu so i'm not running a bunch of stuff in the background, that isn't necessary, and she trashed almost half a gig of temporary files... it all makes a difference!!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #18
Registered Member

Just thought i'd tie off this threat properly. I got the free anti-malware thingie that Kaspersky Labs hands out to all and sundry, and it found that silly Google re-direct bug in 30 seconds flat, and removed it in a flash. It was interesting though, because the first thing that everyone seemed to recommend to get rid of most of the many very clever Googe redirect viruses out there, TDSSKiller.exe, didn't even want to run when i installed it: it seems there are several variants that have sub-routines which de-activate this enemy of theirs, lol!! SO, i just got their generic Kaspersky malware removal tool and it worked great. You were really right in recommending that i deal with it, however: a number of instabilities in my system which resulted in error messages such as "explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down" and such, have also vanished now that the redirect bug has been dealt with.

Many thanks again, and i'll be sure to return to this friendly forum next time i have a question about Microsoft stuff!!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You're Welcome! We're glad you got it sorted. Please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.

Closed Thread