Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] How can you remove color background from Desktop Icon Text?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] How can you remove color background from Desktop Icon Text? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Until yesterday, I was able to remove the color background (completely) from the desktop icon text when I right-clicked on

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Until yesterday, I was able to remove the color background (completely) from the desktop icon text when I right-clicked on the desktop, next clicked "Arrange Icons by..", and then deselected "Lock Web Items on Desktop".

For some reason this technique no longer works. This is just a nuisance, and not a serious problem, but I would appreciate it if someone could suggest how else to remove the color backgrounds. And "No", I'm not sure what I may have done to cause this change, except that I have just defragged my hard disk and am in the process of packing the files to the front of the disk.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Right-click My Computer and select Properties. Advanced tab > Performance > Settings button > Visual Effects tab > "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop".

This will make the icon text background transparent. It's not exactly easy to find or clear what it does from the description, but it works.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Thumbs Up

Thanks again, Koala...

You're right....what's "drop shadows" have to do with anything...hah!....but it did work. Once again, when I deselect "Lock web items on desktop" the background disappears...voila!! That makes two I owe you.....just for today!

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Few Glitches...That might cost me...
I have a few things going on...one is that one of my programs wont open, and its the program that i make my living off of...so if it wont open, no money..and i have jobs that need to get done...next is my mozilla wont open...when i click on either of these...my curser blinks a few time...and then...
GraphicLanguage Inactive Malware Help Topics 31 12-12-2006 10:52 PM
nero error
hello there im wondering if anyone can help i cant seem to make audio cds and it keeps coming up power calibration error this is the log that it sayscan anyone give me some advice thanks Windows XP 5.1 IA32 WinAspi: - ahead WinASPI: File 'C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Core\Wnaspi32.dll':...
nicholls Graphic Design, Digital Imaging, and Multimedia 2 01-25-2006 06:30 AM
nero 7 power calibration error
hello there im wondering if anyone can help i cant seem to make audio cds and it keeps coming up power calibration error this is the log that it sayscan anyone give me some advice thanks Windows XP 5.1 IA32 WinAspi: - ahead WinASPI: File 'C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Core\Wnaspi32.dll':...
nicholls Windows XP Support 0 01-24-2006 01:10 PM
annoying browser hijack
mmm..this is annoying. I can't seem to get rid of a broswer hijack. Spybot S&D doesn't detect it and when I 'fix' it through HiJackThis a couple of rescans later it reappears again. mmmm...however this might not be a problem since this hijack occurs through my IE. I don't use IE (use...
dudekrulz Inactive Malware Help Topics 7 01-13-2006 06:11 AM
Calibration area full
Can anyone help.im trying to burn music on Nero and im getting msg "calibration area full" which is stopping me being able to burn.:4-dontkno
freeze123 Removable Media Drives 3 12-05-2005 06:43 PM