Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] empty folders on usb rive

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] empty folders on usb rive within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. ive been trying to copy music files (mp3) to my usb stick but only 2 folders have tranfered with the

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

ive been trying to copy music files (mp3) to my usb stick but only 2 folders have tranfered with the files (songs) still in the folders. When i copy them- i have tried copy paste, drag and drop and send to, the files are in the folders when i copy them but as soon as i remove the drive, with safely remove hardware, then reopen the drive the files are gone just the empty folders are there. like i said only 2 folders have worked and ive checked the properties to compare and they are all the same. I tried copying the files individually and that worked but i tried creating a folder directly in the usb drive and drag n dropped the files into the folder bu had the same problem again.

ive searched the forum but havent found a solution.

any help appreciated

Old 03-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Do you have another flash drive that you could try? I would like to rule out a flash drive failure before proceeding.

Have you tried copying other files besides the mp3 files? Do they transfer fine?

Have you tried transferring files from another computer to the flash drive? Do they work?

Old 03-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

yeah ive used this drive plenty of times to transfer all different files to and from home/work, pdf, word, pics etc. i transfered everything on it to my computer so i could put some music on it for my car. 2 folders worked fine but ibe tried about ten other folders-all music so far- and none of them will work.

I will try some different file types and see how i go. and will try another drive also.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Be sure you are plugging the Flash Drive into the Back USB port and not the front or through a Hub as these ports are weaker. Make sure that none of your music folders exceed 4GB as this is the limit of FAT32 files.
Backup any data on the Flash Drive. Go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. In Disk Management Right click the drive and try Formatting it FAT32. Or highlight the partition, and go up to the tool bar and press the X this will delete the partition on the Flash Drive making the space Unallocated. Then Right click the Unallocated Space and Create a new Partition and Format the partition FAT32
Old 03-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Registered Member

yeah i copied different file types nd they dont work either. any file will copy over but only if it is not in a folder. as soon as i either put it in a folder either from my pc or from the drive to a folder on the drive the files dissapear. The two folders that did copy with al files in it are fine i can copy more files into those folders and all is good but ive checked the properties of the folders and they are all the same as far as i can see-im not extremely comp. savy though.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Be sure you are plugging the Flash Drive into the Back USB port and not the front or through a Hub as these ports are weaker. Make sure that none of your music folders exceed 4GB as this is the limit of FAT32 files.
Backup any data on the Flash Drive. Go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. In Disk Management Right click the drive and try Formatting it FAT32. Or highlight the partition, and go up to the tool bar and press the X this will delete the partition on the Flash Drive making the space Unallocated. Then Right click the Unallocated Space and Create a new Partition and Format the partition FAT32
mate your a champion! tried rear port-no different then reformated, said was already fat32 but did it anyway and copied a folder that did not work before and now all files are there!

Thanks mate
Old 03-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Cheers! Glad you got it sorted! please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.

Closed Thread