Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] Driver keeps trying to install

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Driver keeps trying to install within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was having trouble with xp recognising a usb flash drive Ended up altering stuff in the registry - even

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

I was having trouble with xp recognising a usb flash drive

Ended up altering stuff in the registry - even though I exported the changes first before deleting (and subsequently importing them back in)

Now 2 unknown devices keep looking for drivers every 2 seconds

Need some registry help I think !

And subsequent help to recognise usb flash drive

Thanks

Old 10-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

It's always a bad idea to edit the registry if you are not sure what your doing. If you backed up your registry, did you restore it? In the Registry Editor, going to File/Import?
As for the unknown devices, go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. In the Device Manager, what devices have the Yellow Exclamation marks? If you have a name computer (Dell, HP Gateway etc) then go to that manufacturers support web site and either type in your asset tag # on the sticker on the computer, or type in the make and model and it will take you to the driver download page. After updating the drivers on all of the devices that have yellow marks, then Open up Universal Serial Bus Controllers, in the Device Manager, is there an Unknown Device? If so, right click and Uninstall it. Pull the flash drive out of the computer and restart the computer. If you no longer get the New Hardware wizard, then put the Flash Drive into the Back USB port if it is a Desktop Computer, not the front as that is stronger. If you have a laptop do not plug it into a Docking Station or USB Hub, again not as strong. It should install, if not uninstall the Unknown Device again and try it on another computer as it might be a bad device.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
It's always a bad idea to edit the registry if you are not sure what your doing. If you backed up your registry, did you restore it? In the Registry Editor, going to File/Import?
As for the unknown devices, go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. In the Device Manager, what devices have the Yellow Exclamation marks? If you have a name computer (Dell, HP Gateway etc) then go to that manufacturers support web site and either type in your asset tag # on the sticker on the computer, or type in the make and model and it will take you to the driver download page. After updating the drivers on all of the devices that have yellow marks, then Open up Universal Serial Bus Controllers, in the Device Manager, is there an Unknown Device? If so, right click and Uninstall it. Pull the flash drive out of the computer and restart the computer. If you no longer get the New Hardware wizard, then put the Flash Drive into the Back USB port if it is a Desktop Computer, not the front as that is stronger. If you have a laptop do not plug it into a Docking Station or USB Hub, again not as strong. It should install, if not uninstall the Unknown Device again and try it on another computer as it might be a bad device.

I thought I was doing a good thing when I did a disk cleanup to free up some space - I deleted all the system restore points except the most recent one.......

The lines I changed in the registry - I imported back in again

Anyway, items with a yellow question mark in DM are Unknown device with a ref - STORAGE\PARTITION\S9DC96E9E_O2F10C00_L129CE26E00

Another Unknown - ref - STORAGE\PARTITION\S9DC96E9E_O7E00_L2F08E00

and COM1 with a ref - ROOT\*PNP0501\1_0_17_0_0_0

Every 5 secs, a Found new hardware window comes up saying -

There was a problem installing this hardware

Unknown

The data is invalid

No usb or other devices are plugged in

When I go to DM and try and uninstall these devices, the systems freezes.....

It is a Dell 4600
Old 10-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

Managed to get it sorted

Got info from post 12 at

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=49714

What this does is resets all the Permissions

Download SubinAcl from :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

and put it in the folder that Post 12 suggests creating along with reset.cmd that you create with Notepad

No more windows coming up saying that it cannot install Unknown Device

and Flash USB drive can now be read

Sorted

Hope this is helpful for someone

Cheers