Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] Drive or folder private option grayed out!

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Drive or folder private option grayed out! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, I need your help please... I have a 2 different drives C & D (both ntfs) on my

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys,

I need your help please...

I have a 2 different drives C & D (both ntfs) on my laptop. D is mainly used for back-up (family pics, important files etc...) in case C needs a re-install (winxp pro)!

Anyway, I have a personal login (with password as administrator), but I also have a guest login enabled (w/no pass) in case friends want to use my laptop.

The issue is when a friends log in they're able to see all my drives and folders!!! I want to make D private, but under sharing the option to make it private is grayed out!

Can you please help?

Thanks in advc!

Old 03-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

You cannot make a drive private, You can only make a folder Private and it must be under your User Name under C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName (ex) My Documents, My Music etc. Then the Private check box will be available.
You can Encrypt folders outside of your user profile name in XP, but not a whole drive, without 3rd party software. You can encrypt an External drive using Windows 7 and and it will remain encrypted in XP, but you can't change any of the files until you return it to Windows 7.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
- Microsoft Support

You can change the Security setting to deny List folder contents attributes to the guest account.

Right click on each folder select properties>Security click on Add type in Guest then select deny on the "List Folder Contents"

Note: you make have to go to folder options and un tick "Simple file Sharing" click ok.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thank you guys...I ended doing somewhat what Jack mentioned...and it worked like a charm! Cheers!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Your welcome! Please mark this thread solved in the thread tools at the top.

Closed Thread