Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] Dell Dimension 8110 XP Restoration

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Dell Dimension 8110 XP Restoration within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Earlier today, I tried to turn on my computer and check my email. Well as it was loading, I was

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Earlier today, I tried to turn on my computer and check my email. Well as it was loading, I was interupted by a blue Stop screen with the error code of like 0x00000050 or something rather. I searched the web for any remedies and such..none of which had worked. Upon further research i discovered that one of the newest updates was deamed the "pc killer". So i come home from work to discover that my roommate, who claims to know a lot about this kinda "techy" stuff..simply put in the "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Including Service Pack 1a." disc to restore my computer to factory. Well, it did in fact load up, but my monitor seems distored (as in icons seem enlarged and such). but i cannot connect to the internet and when i went into device manager, the section titled "Other devices", which include, Ethernet Controller, Multimedia audio controller
PCI simple communication controller, SM bus controller, and Video controller (VGA compatible), was all in a yellow question mark.

So me, being the noob to this sorta stuff as for any and all assistance. Why am i not able to connect to the internet and such? I have all the cds which came with the computer. I tried to run the 32 bit dell diagnostics thing but it stopped in the middle and gave me this message

"system error!
msg: system_error. this system is not recognized as a supported Dell PC. These diagnostics may not run on unsupported systems.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

There should be a drivers cd, run the cd and install all the drivers starting with the chipset

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 02-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doby View Post
There should be a drivers cd, run the cd and install all the drivers starting with the chipset
Thanks for the quick response! Would said "drivers cd" be the Resource cd? Oh, and if it is, is there a special way to run it as opposed to simply popping it into the cd drive? And another thing, when the resource cd loads are the items with checks things that are already installed, or what i need to click and stuff?

Again, my sincere apologizes for my lack of knowledge in this field
Old 02-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Yes it could be labled the resourse cd, No special way to run it just click on each item it should then ask to create a folder click yes. Then it will auto extract, follow the instructions to install. After each driver installs it will ask you to reboot, just tick on not now or later, something of that nature and move on to the next driver/item in the list.

After all are installed reboot run disk cleanup and defragment, then get virus software then run MS update and get all crtical updates.

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 02-12-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doby View Post
Yes it could be labled the resourse cd, No special way to run it just click on each item it should then ask to create a folder click yes. Then it will auto extract, follow the instructions to install. After each driver installs it will ask you to reboot, just tick on not now or later, something of that nature and move on to the next driver/item in the list.

After all are installed reboot run disk cleanup and defragment, then get virus software then run MS update and get all crtical updates.
Kudos to you! Now the question that arises is do i click on every item of every section on the resource cd or just the ones in each section with the checks on them?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
Registered Member

OK, here's an update..after just deciding to try and teach myself a thing or two. I managed to get the internet on and remove 3 of the 5 "Yellow question marks" under Other devices. The only two remaining include, Multimedia Audio Controller, and SM Bus Controller. I clicked the update driver to see if it could find something but with no success. If anyone can assist me in these drivers, it would make my morning.

Cheers
Old 02-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

The SMBus Controller is the Chipset Driver. This should have been the first driver you installed.
MultiMedia is usually the audio card.
Can you ID these drvices:
Open the Device Manager
Post ALL errors you may have (yellow!)

Right click on the error>Properties>Details Tab
Post the info you find under Device Instance ID

Do this for each error you have
Old 02-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCOMP View Post
The SMBus Controller is the Chipset Driver. This should have been the first driver you installed.
MultiMedia is usually the audio card.
Can you ID these drvices:
Open the Device Manager
Post ALL errors you may have (yellow!)

Right click on the error>Properties>Details Tab
Post the info you find under Device Instance ID

Do this for each error you have
Ok, After a few updates, the only remaining error is "Multimedia Audio Controller".
The info under Device Instance ID is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24D5&SUBSYS_01D51028&REV_02\3&172E68DD&0&FD

Now, I'm assuming on the resource disc, after reading up on support.dell.com, that the driver under the audio is "ADI 198x Integrated Audio 5.12.01.7000, A24". Now that driver isnt on the disc, but what is includes:

ADI 198x Integrated Audio A12-00 (4600)
ADI 198x Integrated Audio A00-00 (4600C)
ADI 198x Integrated Audio A00-00 (8300 / 8300N)
ADI 198x Integrated Audio A10-00 (2400)
ADI 198x Integrated Audio A09-00 (4600C)
ADI 198x Integrated Audio A09-00 (8300 8300N)

Now when i click any of them, which installs SoundMax, it says "driver not found, reboot and try again" or something rather.

Hope thats all the enough you need.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
Registered Member

Ok, well i guess everything sorted itself out. At first, I wasnt able to download any drivers from the dell site..but i was just able to, and now my sound is up.

Many thanks to all that have helped..off to the Security Center I go :)
Old 02-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Actually I believe your computer is a dimension B110 the B may look like a 8. Dell does not make a Dimension 8110.

Download and install the audio driver from here

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=DIM_CEL_1100&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 02-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Glad to hear you have it sorted out.
Thanks
Bill