Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] DCOM error

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] DCOM error within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Over this weekend I had to replace my MB. I got everything working and did a clean install of XP

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Over this weekend I had to replace my MB. I got everything working and did a clean install of XP Pro with SP2 (32bit). I noticed in the event viewer (system section) there are numerous instances of a DCOM error marked with a big red X. The error is the same each time:

EVENT ID: 10016
USER: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{BC866CF2-5486-41F7-B46B-9AA49CF3EBB1}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

See my system info on the left under user name. What is this error and how do I go about getting rid of it? I looked around on the microsoft web page but didn't find anything particularly useful there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:55 AM   #2
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

Send a message via MSN to JohnthePilot

Have a look at this Microsoft page.

Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Old 10-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnthePilot View Post
Have a look at this Microsoft page.
Thank you for the link. I'll try that when I get home later tonight. Before I do that I have 2 quick questions concerning this process. In step 6 it says to locate the program using its friendly name, but how would I find out its friendly name? Secondly, when it says to add the user, do I add the user exactly as shown in the error (i.e. NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE)? Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

Sorry for the delay in replying. First I've been doing something else and second I thought I'd try to follow the instructions in the link. I didn't have an entry in CLSID, so I wonder if that appesrs when there is an error event in the log. I have to confess I'm no expert on the Registry...is anybody? All I can suggest is that you try it and see if it makes sense. One thing I would stress is make a backup of your Registry before you do anything else. In fact, I usually do two. One by exporting the Registry to my desktop with a different file type e.g. .bak and setting a System Restore point. That way, if anything goes wrong you can recover.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

I tried following the steps in the link but ran into a problem at the end. The program the error seems to refer to is Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcAppFlt.exe

The closest program name match under Component Services is "nTuneServer." I tried adding the user in the Security tab as described, but I have no idea what the user name should be. The error in the Event Viewer shows the user name "NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE" but when I try to add that name in Component Services it says it cannot add it because the object is not from a domain listed in the Selected Location dialog box, and is therefore not valid.

Since this seems to be an issue with Nvidia, would removing my video card drivers with something like Driver Cleaner and re-installing help?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

CORRECTION TO ABOVE POST: I meant removing and re-installing the ethernet/network drivers, not the video card drivers (I automatically think video card when I think nvidia).

I actually removed the Network Access Manager since that's what seems to be causing the errors. I'll keep an eye on the event viewer and see what happens.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:12 AM   #7
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

That's certainly worth a try.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

OK, since removing nvidia's Network Access Manager the DCOM errors have stopped. I re-installed the MB chipset drivers but unchecked the Network Access Manager box this time. Since I never used it and have no idea what i did I doubt I'll miss that particular piece of software. Thanks for your help, JohnthePilot.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:11 AM   #9
Manager, TSF Articles

My System

OK. I'm glad that worked even if you don't know why. I'll mark this thread "solved", but if you get any more problems feel free to post back.

Closed Thread