Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] D: drive missing

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] D: drive missing within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. After restarting my D: drive as a whole is found to be missing! All other drives can be found and

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

After restarting my D: drive as a whole is found to be missing! All other drives can be found and accessed. Other drives are C:, E:, and DVD ROM
I don't know what's the possible cause to this problem, but i guess it could be because of one of the .exe files that i have executed or some updates. Am providing the file as attachment. Could you please check out and reply me soon. I have my most important documents in the drive.
I tried accessing the drive from cmd prompt but its still missing "Drive not found"
I hope somebody will help me out ! any kind of help would be appreciated
As i cannot upload any exe files am providing the link to it
Activate internet Download Manager 6.6.exe
Also i don't have an installation cd so re-installing is out of scope

Old 06-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

What was the D: drive? Internal Harddrive or external?

Have you tried attaching it to another working pc?

Old 06-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Is the D: drive a partition on the same drive as the C: drive? Go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Disk Management window do you see your D: drive or does it say that it is Unallocated space? If the drive is a separate drive from the C: drive is it internal or External? As Old Rich said, If internal, can you remove the drive an put it on another computer as a Slave or onto a USB Adapter and attach it to a working computer? If external remove it from it's enclosure and put it on a USB adapter and see if that works.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the support . i got the problem fixed by recovering the contents through an external hard drive and using Minitools Drive recovery
Old 07-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Administrator

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Glad you got it sorted . .

Closed Thread