Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Computer takes FOREVER to reboot

15K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  kinbard 
#1 ·
This is the only real problem with my computer...it takes like 10 minutes to restart!

G
#3 ·
Re: Computer takes FOREVER to reboot

have you scanned for spyware and virus' yet? After doing that I would do a repair on your install and see if that fixes it.... repair usually sorts out all of my problems...

My comp is doing something similar but less extreme, mine's only taking a full minute to reboot and shutdown... not sure why because this is new build and fresh install so I'm thinking hardware related.

good luck

#4 ·

chin, just read your response to chinacat. I too have problems with the length of time it takes my PC to start up, and I would appreciate it (me being a "newbie") if you could explain how to do a "repair on your install"...please oblige lolly70

#5 ·
#6 ·

Kinbard, many,many thanks for your very speedy response to my question. I have had a quick look at the link you posted and it looks to me like even a "newbie" like me will be able to follow the instructions. It's going to take a while for me to completely digest and put it into practice, so I thought I would thank you now because I didn't want to give the impression that I had taken the info. and not thanked you. I will get back to you when the operation has been completed(fingers crossed)...lolly70

#8 ·

thank you ! I did a virus scan (ad-aware) and the norton virus......nothing. I also didn't know how to do repair on my install, so thanks for posting that site. Have to go work out now and I will work on the problem as soon as I get back!!

#13 ·

Haha...ignore that post.

idfxtray
hkcmd
SOUNDMAN
sm56hlpr
ZCfgSvc
PRONoMgr
ccApp
SNDMon
QTTask
iTunesHelper
ctfmon
msmsgs
GoogleToolbarNotifier
aim6
Adobe Reader Speed Launch

then all of these are unchecked:

(blank)
msmsgs
CfgWiz
qttask
PDVDServ
jusched
GoogleToolbarNotifier
Google Updater

#21 ·

Haha...ignore that post.

idfxtray
hkcmd
SOUNDMAN
sm56hlpr
ZCfgSvc
PRONoMgr
ccApp
SNDMon
QTTask
iTunesHelper
ctfmon
msmsgs
GoogleToolbarNotifier
aim6

then all of these are unchecked:

(blank)
msmsgs
CfgWiz
qttask
PDVDServ
jusched
GoogleToolbarNotifier
Google Updater
Here are your problems:
ZCfgSvc- Zero configuration- huge process hog.
ccApp- Norton. Same as above
SNDMon- same as above

I would uncheck these:
QTTask
iTunesHelper
aim6
Then after the reboot do a spyware check as mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.