Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Computer Problem with Internet, connection's not the problem

1K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  nickster_uk 
#1 ·
I've been having this problem for weeks now. I have a cable connection and a wireless router that plugs right into the computer, which happens to be the one I'm having a problem with (the laptops work fine with the wireless internet, only the computer is screwed up).

When I try going to websites such as AOL.com and MySpace (Only about half of the websites I visit will work), I know the internet connects bc it says "AOL - Welcome to AOL" and shows the logo in the search bar, but does not display. Just sits there...and loads, and loads and loads.

Also, for no reason my Flash player is gone all this sudden after this problem has been happening. And guess what? Adobe.com won't load so I can't reinstall it, but flash player is still listed in the "Add of Remove programs" list!
What could be the problem and what can I do to fix it?

#2 ·
Re: Computer Problem with Internet, connection's not the problem

Hi Brian2570...

it could be a malware issue..have you checked for any infections recently?

If after doing the above and you're sure you system is clean, perhaps try connecting to those sites with your firewall temporarily disabled?

Also, have a look in your HOSTS file for any added entries such as Adobe, AOL and MySpace:

- Click Start -> Run -> type:
notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
- Click Ok
- That will open the hosts file in notepad...if it's quite large, try using the Edit -> Find feature to search for the entries.

Post back if you find any...or not please :smile:

#3 · (Edited)

Thanks so much for the help, first reply on the many forums I have asked this question. The HOST file didnt have anything I think. This is all it read:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

I am running a scan now, but my scanner is scheduled every night. But my scanner is in need of an update, but guess what? The scanner (AVG) cant connect to the internet!! :upset: Also, my disabled firewall did not change anything. Any other suggestions? Again, thanks for the help.

#4 ·

Ok, I think we can rule out the Hosts file as the source of the problem.

Does the same happen if you use a different browser such as firefox? It would be helpful in knowing if the problem is limited to Internet Explorer alone or is a system-wide issue.

#8 ·

I am trying to upload a screenshot of IE loading AOL, but when I try hosting an image on photolava (only working hosting site) is reads:
extension not set!
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/kitamura/searchfleet/lib/php/Image.class.php:234) in /home/kitamura/searchfleet/sites/photolava.com/shared/functions.php on line 36

But no, it does not Restricted Sites

#10 ·

D-Link SecureSpot Thin Client.

It's a little box that my router plugs into and then into the computer. I have tried Disconnecting it and plugging my router straight into the computer, but it did not solve the problem.

Also, the basic Windows Firewall, also which I have tried turning off with no luck.

#11 ·

Ah, I have fixed the problem.

You were right, it was the firewall. I reinstalled the software and now my internet is fixed.

Thank you so much for the help. I cannot tell you how much I appriciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.