Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Cloning HDD with OS partition and recovery partition

5K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  godfather17 
#1 ·
Hey guys I want to upgrade my gf's computer by putting in a new hdd that is double the size of her current hdd. She has a dell which has two partitions, one which is where the os is located and the other one has a recovery partition which is activated when I press ctrl+f11 at boot up. The recovery partition is a ghost software just for further information. I read something on this thread http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/cloning-hard-drive-with-recovery-partition-156796.html . I plan to use drive image xml to do the clones. What I plan to do is to clone each partition one at a time and than restore it on the new hdd which would have the same C: partion for the OS the D: for the recovery partition. The question that I have is if when I complete the restoring of both the partitions, will I be able to activate the recovery partition just by pressing ctrl+f11 as I did with the original hdd? The reason that I am asking is because pressing ctrl+f11 is the only way to use the recovery partition when it is needed. Thank you.

#2 ·
Re: Cloning HDD with OS partition and recovery partition

You have to also clone the MBR and partition table. Or you might be able to use the tool from the following web site to restore the Dell proprietary MBR:
Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition

#4 ·

Doesn't look like DriveImage supports that; in fact, you have to use a different tool to create a partition and make it bootable if needed before you can restore an image.
You should be able to create your partitions, restore the images, then use the DSRFIX tool from Goodells to restore the MBR though.

You might want to look at different software to use for this.

It's not clear if Macrium Reflect will save the MBR, though it does save the partition table info.

I use Acronis myself; they do have a free trial, and if you have a Segate/Maxtor/Western Digital drive you can get a free version form the manufacture,
Eases Todo Backup looks like it can as well, as it supports cloning disks

Free:
Easeus Todo Backup
If you have a Seagate/Maxtor HD, you can use this, which is based on Acronis:
Seagate DiscWizard
And from Western Digital:
Acronis True Image WD Edition Software

Commercial:
Acronis True Image
Norton Ghost

#5 ·

Ok, I have used macrium reflect before, so if i clone both partitions with macrium the table info will be backed up, right? However, the MBR might not, right? so if i use acronis will both table info and MBR be backed up? and if yes, will it be backed up just by cloning the partitions or does something special has to be done? The new hard drive is a seagate but not sure about the origianl hard drive, so will i be able to use easeus todo backup if all else fails?

#6 ·

Ok I read up on acronis and it seems to be the best program. I downloaded and installed and also made a bootable cd with bartpe with the todo backup plugin in it. I plan to use the clone option, when I do that will both partitions be cloned to the new drive? If yes, than will I still have to use the DSRFIX tool from Goodells to restore the MBR, or will it be backed up already? Thank you.

#7 ·

The clone option would be the easiest, rather than create an image and then have to restore it, though creating the image does give you your first backup, without having to create an image after cloning.
This will copy over the MBR so you shouldn't need to use the tool. I've done this three times on my Dell, first to a same sized disk, then to a larger disk, then from the larger to the smaller disk, both by cloning, and by creating an image and restoring the image, and was still able to access the Dell PC Restore.

When you restore, you'll have the option to restore just the partition, or the MBR and Track 0:
This is from ATIv11:

This is from ATIv2010:

You'll see the check box for the MBR in both pictures.

In ATIv2010 and ATIv11, the MBR is backed up even if you only select 1 partition rather than the entire disk (just verified this by making an image of just the D: drive, and restoring the MBR is an option when I choose that image to restore). I believe the other versions also always backup the MBR, but for some you may have to choose to backup the entire disk instead of just one partition.

Easeus Todo backup is similar, you have the option to restore the MBR and Track 0, or just an individual partition.

#8 ·

Ok thank you, you are the best. I will just clone because it seems easier. I have one question for future reference; if I do a back up of just one partition and need the MBR and track 0 also can I restore both of these at the same time or do I have to back restore them separately. Thank you once again.

#9 ·

That depends.
If you have two partitions, and make an image by selecting only one, you can restore just the MBR and it won't affect the existing partitions. You can restore just the partition, and place it into an existing partition on the disk; it does not have to be the same partition it came from.
If you chose to restore both at the same time, all existing partitions will be deleted. If it wasn't included when the image was created it will be gone.

So if you restore both at the same time, it also creates a new partition table to match what you are restoring. If there were existing partitions before and/or after the one you restore, they will now be unallocated space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.