Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] cloning a hard drive

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] cloning a hard drive within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am trying to clone the contents, about 80G of a 160G IDE drive to the new 750G SATA C

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am trying to clone the contents, about 80G of a 160G IDE drive to the new 750G SATA C drive in my new pc (new MOBO, CPU, MEMSTICK) but I get..
"Drive C could not be opened for exclusive write access" Then..
"Try self booting HD CLONE" But I don't know how to find that last!

The cloning app' is Myray HD Clone and seems a very simple to use program...IF I could get it working!

Dave.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #2

Use this instead.

XXCLONE, A New Way of Cloning the Windows System Disk
I've never heard of the one you are using.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

Sorry, no joy,
I eventually get the attached warning and I am loathe to go further.

In between times I have installed PCDisclone and that told me I needed to make a bootable CD. Did that, ok it seemed and the pc rebooted into IOSILINUX, found all my drives etc then shut down and did not re boot!

I removed the disc and all was fine again but that is 3 cloning apps that will not work. My pc do you think?

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp xclone warning.bmp (96.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Try this Makes a bootable disk. Then just use the disk to disk function.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:21 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Receng56 View Post
Try this Makes a bootable disk. Then just use the disk to disk function.
Did that(they get bigger and bigger!) and extracted the file and burned it to a cd.
This is another ISOLINUX jobbie and this time the pc won't even start! I just get a - flashing top left.

It seems to this old bottle jockey that either there is a root problem with my pc or there is a key procedure that these clone app peeps ASSUME you know but I don't!

Basically I want to copy the hard drive over to use a music app' that I doubt I can get re activated again as it was a magazine feebie (time unlimited AFAIK) from some years ago and the new version is not the same/does not do the same things. I am am NOT a pirate! I have asked the software company if I can buy the progg' it was £50.00 then (before the give away) and I would gladly pay that today!

If I used "X copy in CMD would that preserve the activation?

Dave.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:43 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

What are you using to create the ISO? Try this
Old 01-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Moderator Offline

Also looks like you have a Windows activation problem also. Where did Windows OS come from?

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
Registered Member

No BG,
I just had not activated it since I have been struggling for two weeks with a soundcard setup.
I am presently running on I think my fourth win install!

The basic pc is over 5yrs old (60th birthday prezzie from my wife) and was built by a local guy to my spec's for music work. The aforementioned audio system needed a PCI-e slot and so I had to buy a new Asus MOBO, CPU and ram. Since I am something of a puter dunce this has taken me "some time" to get stable!

I have in fact realized that I cannot dump the old drives' contents on my new C drive without risking forking that up so I shall not persue the matter further.
In fact I have since tried a re install of the audio app'(I still have the dvd) expecting it not to re activate but strangely it did!

Thanks for all your help folks.
Dave.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Thumbs Up

You cannot clone a drive to another drive with data or an OS on it. You need to have a blank Drive. If you just want to copy data and not the OS or Programs, then use teracopy
Old 01-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
You cannot clone a drive to another drive with data or an OS on it. You need to have a blank Drive. If you just want to copy data and not the OS or Programs, then use teracopy
Yeah, took best part of a day but I know that now!

Dave.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Ok, if you are satisfied with the results, mark this thread solved in the Thread Tools at the top
Old 01-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

If you changed motherboards, you won't be able to validate your Windows. According to the EULA, changing motherboards is considered changing computers.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolfreak View Post
If you changed motherboards, you won't be able to validate your Windows. According to the EULA, changing motherboards is considered changing computers.
I've changed motherboards, had the activation thing tell me to call MS, made the call, got the code and that was that. Took less than 5 minutes. They even spoke English.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolfreak View Post
I was prepared for that! But in the event it has activated via internet without a hitch, at least four times in two weeks!

Had I had trouble I would just have had to add XP to the cost list!

Last time was yesterday. I was hanging on the last activation because I still have some problems and I did not know how many "goes" you got before peeps got sniffy!

Dave.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #15

I think you get like 5 activations before you have to call. I also think you have unlimited "goes". I've never heard of anyone with a valid Product Key that has been refused activation by Microsoft due to hardware changes.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:37 PM   #16
Registered Member

Heh!
If not exactly shadenfreude I feel something akin when I realize that the Ms licensing system even confuses the bods on the best (imho) Ms advice forum!

I have a "hard" spot for Ms anyway! A few years ago I bought a small pc from PCWorld locally. Good deal, P4. 3.0G gig of ram, worked a treat. A week or so later I realized that the os was Windows Media Centre Edition and furthermore the pc was not supplied with an XP disc of any sort.

Now WMCE is not supported by any "serious" audio hardware or software house so I immediately got onto PCW and later Ms for some sort of equitable trade across to XP Home and to get a disc. Neither party would play ball even tho' I was prepared to pay a fair sum for their trouble. It was some months before I realized that the Foxconn MOBO actually had a hidden partiton with a recovery system on it!

There is also the very common "dual boot" debate. Many audio users would like to have two hard drives, one with the everyday "office" version of the os and a second with a version stripped of internet, virus software and the myriad other things that Ms do to intterupt a recording stream.

Some folks say you can do it, others say you only get one activation per pc so you would have to buy XP twice.....But, s'all good fun!

Dave.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #17

I'd rethink all the above. XP MCE is XP Pro with a few added (and useless) features. In terms of how the O/S functions with various hardware & software, I don't think there is any difference between XP Home, Pro or MCE.

The problem with the internet is that they let "just anyone" on it, and they can say any stupid thing conceivable. Facts and truth cannot compete with what the collective wants to believe, and if they want to believe something there will always be someone that can create an exact replica of what the desires to be told. So I wonder how you came to believe in the inferiority of MCE vs. the other XP varients.

This point also goes to the MS Activation thing. People believe what they want to believe, and selectively remember and forget online data that supports and contradict those believes. All I can say is that I have never had a problem re-activating numerous systems through MS, nor have I ever read about anyone being refused, and it is an active interest of mine and I would remember it if I had.

Thank you for the new word "shadenfreud" which for people too lazy to look it up is a german word that means roughly "to derive pleasure from the misfortune of others". In English culture, we would compare this to what is called a "prat fall", a person of supposed sophistication and social status being brought down by figuratively (or literally) "falling down" into something dirty, base, where "all of us plain folks" live. I would post the wikipedia article on "prat fall", but it does not exist, lol. It seems we are on the cutting edge yet again. Too funny.

Schadenfreude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #18
Registered Member

Thank you Jennifer,
I totally agree that people believe what they want to but..I may be a generalized pc dunce but I am (now!) a bit of an expert on WMCE!

Go to almost any maker of "serious" audio recording equipment, M-Audio, ESI, and you will find, (and ceratinly if you ask!) that they do not support that os.

This does NOT mean the kit won't work, it does, very well but if you have a problem and are fool enough to TELL them that you have WMCE they will not help you! So you are forced to lie to get support and I have in past just said XP pro so maybe I can be forgiven a little sin of omission?

Useless bits Jen'? Well yes apart from a very handy audio standards converter (.wav to various MP3 sample rates) for free.

Also it is not true that XP, pro, home or MCE is a happy platform for continuous audio recording, you have to delve in a bit and turn things off such as Windows sounds. Not only are these noises irritating and distracting in the extreme but they are also too loud and worse of all screw with your sampling rate! There are 1/2 dozen other tweaks but of course, Ms software is configured to be an office boy. Musicians want a Tape Jockey! I.e someone who does what he is told and shuts the flip up when you want him to! Any chance that the next os released can make tea?

I have still not read of a DEFINITIVE answer to the 2HDD, dual boot problem?

Thanks again.
Dave.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:12 AM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
Thank you Jennifer,
I totally agree that people believe what they want to but..I may be a generalized pc dunce but I am (now!) a bit of an expert on WMCE!

Go to almost any maker of "serious" audio recording equipment, M-Audio, ESI, and you will find, (and ceratinly if you ask!) that they do not support that os.

This does NOT mean the kit won't work, it does, very well but if you have a problem and are fool enough to TELL them that you have WMCE they will not help you! So you are forced to lie to get support and I have in past just said XP pro so maybe I can be forgiven a little sin of omission?

Useless bits Jen'? Well yes apart from a very handy audio standards converter (.wav to various MP3 sample rates) for free.

Also it is not true that XP, pro, home or MCE is a happy platform for continuous audio recording, you have to delve in a bit and turn things off such as Windows sounds. Not only are these noises irritating and distracting in the extreme but they are also too loud and worse of all screw with your sampling rate! There are 1/2 dozen other tweaks but of course, Ms software is configured to be an office boy. Musicians want a Tape Jockey! I.e someone who does what he is told and shuts the flip up when you want him to! Any chance that the next os released can make tea?

I have still not read of a DEFINITIVE answer to the 2HDD, dual boot problem?

Thanks again.
Dave.
In that case why not buy a Mac?
Old 01-23-2011, 03:55 AM   #20
Registered Member

"In that case why not buy a Mac? "

Oooo! Go wash your mouth out!

Yes, they are supposed to be good for audio work but not very versatile for the impecunious.

When I started to setup a home recording facility for my musical son (he plays/writes, I solder and earn) I had to buy what I could afford and also back five years or so the hard and software market was very pc oriented for sound work, at least at the "projjy" level.

There was and still is an abundance of free app's for the home studioist and most don't go on macs tho' that is changing (then there is Boot Camp, "so what?" some say).

But you can do a lot with even a very simple pc. I was given an HP laptop. 850mHz 20G drive 1/2 gig of ram but with a usb AI that will record two tracks at 24bits and 44.1kHz for as long as the hard drive lasts.

Tis only that the audio people do not seem to talk to Ms (or 'tother way around?)soon enough. Look at the debacle that was Blista? I don't know how it faired in other applications but very few audio people gave it more than a brief glance. Windows 7 is much better but STILL you have to check that hardware actually does have proper W7/32/64 drivers befrore buying NOT buggered about Vista ones that did not work well anyway.

Dave.