Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Can't install network adapters

6K views 13 replies 2 participants last post by  Rabnix 
#1 ·
I'm working on a Dell dimension 4700 desktop with an Intel ICH6 Pro/100 VE Network adapter. I did a clean install of Windows XP SP3 on a new HDD, so I had to download the drivers, but when I did, they didn't install correctly and it still won't recognize the network adapter. I've downloaded the drivers from Dell, from Intel, and from 2 other locations online, but none of them worked, does anyone know what's going on, because I can't connect it to the internet for activation without those drivers. Besides, I don't think the customer would like it if her PC won't connect to the net.

#3 ·
Re: Can't install network adapters

Of course. This isn't exactly the first PC I've worked on, you know.

#5 ·

My apologies. I'm just a bit frustrated and you came off a little condescending. Probably a misunderstanding on my part. Thank you for at least attempting to help.

#7 ·

Hold on, I'll have to get back to you on that I only have one monitor, keyboard and mouse, and no KVM switch. gotta shut this one down then transfer all the cables, then boot the other one

#8 ·

Ok, so i uninstalled ALL the drivers that are not part of XP, and reinstalled the chipset driver. that went fine, but when I tried to install the ethernet controller, it asked for a .sys file, which I found, then it stopped and said "The data is invalid" it says this every time, no matter how many times I download the drivers or from which website. I really don't know what to do anymore. Why do I always get landed with these PCs that don't want to work?!?

#9 · (Edited)

Did you get the ethernet driver from Dell? . . You may know this, but the Dell downloads can get muddied with their download manager. This is my standard post for Dell downloads . . ignore anything you already know:

go to the Dell support site, enter your Service Tag Number and download the drivers. Be sure to use IE and do not use the Dell Download Manager!

Just download the driver file, save it to the desktop and or to a flash drive and double click to install

On the list of drivers, click on the driver file:

Then the download button here:

The Dell driver downloads are self extracting so all you do is double click on the pc you want to install on

#10 ·

*sigh* dell's crappy *** programs strike again. thanks, dude. it's all good.

#12 ·
Meh, to each his own. I still have beef with Dell from back in the 90's when all their parts were proprietary (and still not that good. I mean at least Mac hardware is good) same problem I have with Gateway. Honestly I just don't like OEMs in general. They always install a bunch of spyware and other annoying little programs that bog down the PC and, in some cases, can cause serious problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.