Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Can I install Windows XP SP 2 disk OVER Windows XP SP3 Install?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  scissorhands 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi.
Last night I did a repair install using a Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 disk.
It was not the original disk that installed Windows XP Pro on this computer, years ago.
And now I don't seem to have Service Pack 2. Just Service Pack 3.
But I need service pack 2 to fix problems i am having with DirectX.
I have been unable to reinstall any versions of directx over my directx 9b. I can't install 9c. And I read that one fix was to download Windows XP Service Pack 2. But I can't install service pack 2 because I already have service pack 3. And I can't uninstall service pack 3 because it was part of the windows installation last night.
So I was thinking....
The only way I can possibly install service pack 2 is to do a repair install with this other disk I got a hold of that is Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 !
So it's older than the one I installed last night.
Is it a bad idea to do a repair install with the Win XP Pro SP 2 disk over the Win XP Pro SP3 install I did last night?

Please let me know what you think.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

-D.

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Can I install Windows XP SP 2 disk OVER Windows XP SP3 Install?

Hmm... Thanks.

But I don't really want to format and start from scratch. :(

If I tried to do a repair install with it, would it remove the service pack 3 from the other one and install the service pack 2 with the new one like I want it to do....?

Or could it screw up my computer using an older xp pro disk over the one I repair installed last night? Btw, I don't know if that one I did last night actually finished. Because it was stuck on a startup screen saying "please wait." But that might have been after it finished installing. I'm not sure. I wasn't sitting in front of the computer the whole time. How do i know if it even finished, btw?

Do you think it would have failed if it was a different xp pro disk than the one used years ago?

-D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.