Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Boot problem

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jimmy 
#1 ·
I have a quad core 64bit xp pro system and it all works fine with the exception of the soundcard, the CD drive, and upon boot, I have to go into the boot menu (F8) and select which HD I want the computer to boot off of. The soundcard and CD drive don't bother me; any help on the boot problem? I suspect BIOS.

Any help would be great

#2 ·
Re: Boot problem

hi, when you select to boot from the hd do you click save changes and reboot pc. you said something wrong with sound card, do you know what it is exactly. also when your pc boot press f8 and choose last known good config.
if you still have problem maybe a bios update but not just yet lets see what other tech say about it.

#3 ·

I got the CD drive working, or rather it decided on it's own to work. The soundcard wasn't enabled as the default sound device, so those two things are fixed. The F8 screen on this computer doesn't have a last known good config, and this is the first configuration so there is no last known good one. I'll search around to see if I can find what you're talking about though.. Thanks!

#4 · (Edited)

Enter the bios setup menu and go to the boot area of that menu. There are two things in there that you need to have setup correctly:

Boot Device Configuration. (or something similar for your board)

Boot Device Priority:

CDRom - 1st
Floppy - 2nd
Hard Drive - 3rd

Then, migrate to the Hard Disk Drive area:

Set your hard drive you want to boot from as first in this area.

Don't forget to save any changes before you exit or as you exit.

Post back with questions/concerns/report progress.

#5 ·

OK, I got it fixed. I set the Boot Device Priority to 1st - Harddisk, 2nd - CD Drive, 3rd - Removable, and 4th is disabled. I went to the Harddisk configuration and it turned out that it was booting the 2nd harddrive instead of the first. I switched that around and all is working well.

Thanks a ton for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.