Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] Boot Failure

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Boot Failure within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I got an old XP Tower from a friend, cleaned out a few cobwebs (But with my luck the spider

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

I got an old XP Tower from a friend, cleaned out a few cobwebs (But with my luck the spider died in there, or even worse, it's alive) turned on, BIOS said the CMOS date was out of order (It was upgraded from Windows ME in '06) got that in order, get to the Windows XP Safe Mode screen, booted normally, locked, shut it down, went to Safe Mode, locked. All I know is it is an old Gateway from 2000 and it was upgraded to XP from ME, all I want are the programs off the HDD (It came out of an old office building un-formatted with all the expensive Microsoft programs on it) Can I plug it in via Slave Cable in my other Desktop?

Old 04-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

You should be able to without any problems if the old drive is not the older IDE interface. Hook it up see if your pc recognizes it in bios if so you are golden.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Management Team Networking

Do realize you won't be able to run the old programs from the slaved drive. The programs have to be installed on the running system to be accessable.

might want to consider a repair install of xp on the primary drive to get xp functioning properly.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Registered Member

Slaved it, crashed my PC, It's probably missing drivers (Since it launches Windows) So i'll just hold onto it until my next mod, thanks everyone!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Yes the programs will not work they would have to be installed on the older drive again if being used on your pc. But if there is any files setup.exe files documents etc... you can back them up using your pc.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Closed Thread