Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Admin rights from a limited account

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  8BitBytes 
#1 ·
I have 4 profiles setup on my boy's PC. An admin account for myself and then 1 each for my 3 boys. All 3 of their accounts are limited for obvious reasons, but can I login as an administrator from one of their limited profiles?

The reason being, is that if I am trying to do something from one of their profiles and I can't perform the task because I'm not the administrator, it's a pain to logout and then log back in on my account.

There has to be an easier way...No?

TIA

Greg

#2 ·
Re: Admin rights from a limited account

you're on XP so this is quite an annoying task, it's easier in vista but i'll see if i can help you out... what sort of task are you thinking of completing, there are many workarounds, you may/may not know that XP has a "System" user which has administrator privelages, XP can be tricked to run tasks from the command prompt as this system account... It all depends on the task though, we'll need more details on the type of task?

If not then you could enable quick user switching or whatever it's called (where you log out and log in but your programs are still running in the origional user etc etc...

As i've said post back with the type of tasks you wish to complete and i'll try and help...
Cheers,
Jamey

#3 · (Edited)
Re: Admin rights from a limited account

No need to use the "hidden" system user, I'd stay away from it as if some malware manages to install itself on the computer while you're running with system privileges you'll have lots of troubles to uninstall it (system is considered higher than admin).

Use the runas command :
runas /user:yourusername setup.exe
You'll be prompted for your password. If you hold shift then right-click on an executable file you may be given the run as option.

http://www.ss64.com/nt/runas.html
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/nt/nt2000/atips/atips12.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.