Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[SOLVED] 100% cpu usage in win xp sp3

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] 100% cpu usage in win xp sp3 within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. 100% cpu usage in win xp sp3 Hi. Right now I'm getting 100% cpu usage and is kinda making my

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

100% cpu usage in win xp sp3

Hi. Right now I'm getting 100% cpu usage and is kinda making my computer drag, and in some cases shut down.
At first I started noticing this problem when playing Left 4 Dead. All of a sudden my computer would drop to near unplayable frame rates. Then it happened while playing skyrim. I would tab out, look at task manager and see that the system process was using up most of my cpu.
Odd thing is is that in skyrim, after I lost frame rates sometimes I could quickload a game, and I'd be right back at normal cpu usage and frame rates. Strange. Now, mostly, the frames always drop again minutes later, and I'm back at 100 percent cpu drag.

System specs: Windows xp sp3
AMD Athlon 7750 Dual-Core Processor 2.70GHz 2.75GB Ram
4GB Ram, but only use 3gb due to xp 32-bit
Nvidia Geforce Gtx 260
mobo - nvidia nforce730a

Here's what I've found about this problem:
-It persisted after a fresh install (reformatting and deleting partitions as well)
-It mostly happens while playing games, sometimes a quick save and quick load would temporarily refresh frame rates. Sometimes this doesnt help and the cpu spikes continue out of game, most of the time persisting for hours. I've seen it spike up out of game as well, but not as much.
-Using Process Explorer I've seen that in the System Process, a process called Interrupts - Hardware Interrupts and DCPs seems to be the thing that's using up all my cpu power whenever this happens.
-Cleaned my heatsink and cpu fan, also applied a fresh dab of thermal paste; and the problem still persists.
-Did a virus scan in updated norton, and various spyware progs. No viruses were found; cleaned up spyware but the problem persisted. Scanned with malware bytes, found 1 item but my computer kept shutting down before finishing... was kind of spooky and unsettling (Running it again as I type after fresh OS install... The program just shut down and now it won't restart. Hopefully thats just a bug in the program. trying a scan with MSE)
-Ran CCleaner. Cleaned up registry and drives. Problem still persists.
My IDE drives are not in PIO mode. Heard a lot about that.
-Flashed bios. No change.
-Updated graphics card drivers to older and newer versions, as well as motherboard drivers, no change.

I'm totally stumped. If anyone has solved this problem it would be a relief to hear. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Take a look at the PSU label and post the Make, Model and Wattage. Sounds like an underpowered PSU

Old 04-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Take a look at the PSU label and post the Make, Model and Wattage. Sounds like an underpowered PSU

I've got a cooler master extreme power plus 500w
eXtreme Power Plus 500W - Cooler Master - Leading Provider of Computer Case | Cooler | Power Supply

I also just noticed that my cpu fan is kinda running a little slower than usual... i wonder if a handful of rpms is the problem? but of course this has happened long before the fan started to run slower.

cpu just spiked for about twenty minutes while I was using photoshop
Old 04-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Boot into Setup (Bios) to PC health. Here report the Fan Speeds and the +12V line for the PSU. Anything under or over by .5V is a failing PSU.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Registered Member

thanks for the fast reply. here's everything I saw in pc health

VCC 5V
DIMM(V) 1.89V
5USB 5.08V
+12V 11.88V
chipset(V) 1.09V
CPU(V) 1.35V
3USB 3.37V
voltage battery 3.20V
cpu temp 68C
system temp 37C
cpu fan speed 624 rpm
power fan 0
system fan 0

dunno if this matters, but i have a cooler master tower, which was built with a lot of fans around the box that i have unplugged because they got to be insanely noisy... wish there was a fan that didnt get noisy over time.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Your PSU is within the requirements, but is on the low voltage side. I would suspect that your PSU is underpowered for your setup. Especially if the CPU fan is not spinning at full speed. If you have any USB devices or extra HDD etc, you should have at least a 650 Watt PSU. IMHO
Old 04-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
Registered Member

Interesting. Out of curiosity though, how would an underpowered psu make my processor run at 100% usage and slow my computer down? I can understand things getting slow if a graphics card isnt getting enough power... but a 100% cpu usage rise confuses me.

I did have an extra harddrive plugged in since I built this rig. I got an external harddrive later on, but for most of this comps lifetime i guess. I'm going to remove them and see if it makes a difference.

Fingers crossed.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #8
Registered Member

New good antivrius with proper updated one
Old 04-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
Registered Member

Still getting frame drops and cpu spikes. sigh.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Here is a good guide to the PSU: The Power Supply Unit recommendation thread! - PC Buying Advice - TechEnclave
You can also run Process Explorer to see what is taking up the most CPU and disable that program.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
Registered Member

Thanks I'll make use of that PSU guide.

Process Explorer says that the process that's taking up all the cpu power is "Interrupts: Hardware Interrupts and DPCs"
A Process under the SYSTEM Process. I wish I could disable it, but it wont let me.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Interrupts mean that there is a driver issue. Update your motherboard drivers and your video driver
Old 04-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
Registered Member

I wish that was the case. First thing I did was update my mobo and GPU drivers.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Try Driver Verifier to test your drivers to find out which one is causing the problem.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Look in task manager and tell me what process/process's are eating your
CPU

Thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

@Dwarflored:
Quote:
Process Explorer says that the process that's taking up all the cpu power is "Interrupts: Hardware Interrupts and DPCs"
A Process under the SYSTEM Process. I wish I could disable it, but it wont let me.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Try Driver Verifier to test your drivers to find out which one is causing the problem.
Hmm... got this. Wmiacpi.sys (wdm driver error 20e) [wmiacpi.sys +152f at B859d52f]

If there were more errors would it show all of them? or just the first one it finds?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:53 AM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

This points to the ACPI setting on the motherboard. Since you flashed the Bios, then Load the Bios Defaults, or Disable ACPI in the Bios
Old 04-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
This points to the ACPI setting on the motherboard. Since you flashed the Bios, then Load the Bios Defaults, or Disable ACPI in the Bios
I like how this is being narrowed down (hopefully anyway).

I don't quite understand what you mean though, so I'll throw this info out there just incase. This cpu spike problem has been happening long before I flashed the BIOS. So, I'm guessing theres an error with an ACPI setting? It's been there all along and that has to do with a wmiacpi.sys driver? Trying to figure out what exactly needs to be fixed.

Thanks for all this info, especially if this is actually whats causing the problem.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The fix for the ACPI BSOD problem (driver Wmiacpi.sys ) is to Flash the Bios to the most recent version (since you have already done this, we will skip this part) Second fix is to set the Bios to Defaults if by chance it was set to Optimized settings. Third fix is to find the ACPI setting and see if you can change it to a different setting or Disable it for the last choice.

Closed Thread